Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Recommendations for pickup truck retractable tonneau cover

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks

Recommendations for pickup truck retractable tonneau cover

I'm shopping for a tonneau cover for my pickup to secure things in the bed. I've ruled out roll up covers and am not enticed by the fold up kind. I like the retractable style. I don't care about losing a little bit of bed space.

In shopping around, the number of brands are overwhelming. Pace Edwards, Roll n lock, Gator, Retrax, and on and on. Some are spring retractable, some are not. Some have vinyl over aluminum decks, some have just aluminum, etc.

Ideally, I'd like something that installs with no drilling into the truck bed unless there's a real good reason for it. Pace Edwards offers a removable one called the Switchblade, but it appears to be lightly made, having only a one year warranty compared to most others having 3 or 4. I do like that it can be removed when not needed or would be in the way.

My truck has a locking tailgate (new F-150) so I don't need a separate key lock for the cover. One that unlocks from inside seems like it would be fine.

I don't need electric motors or any other fancy bells and whistles, just sold construction and intelligent design. So please, only opinions on good quality products, no dingbat homemade plywood lids or cheap crap from companies like Titan or Harbor Freight.

Thanks
    Chris - 3720 TLB

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    When you find one post it here. I haven't found one either. I'd like one that seals good and will be out of the way when I want to use all of the bed space. My pickup gets used as a pickup. Caps don't work for me either.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    I have a retrax on my company owned 2015 F150. The one that I have is powered, although, do it over, I would get the manual open! That said, this is a real quality retractable tonneau cover but definitely not cheap!!! Concerning usable space at the front. The cover canister does take some space in the front of the bed, although, you can fit something that is about 8" high under it.

https://www.retrax.com/i-24724373-20...Cmodel%3DF-150

Maual open version. This is what I would get if I bought another one.
    https://www.retrax.com/i-26435436-20...Cmodel%3DF-150
    Levi, mark02tj and Robnik like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

C-Range (09-17-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    When you find one post it here. I haven't found one either. I'd like one that seals good and will be out of the way when I want to use all of the bed space. My pickup gets used as a pickup. Caps don't work for me either.
    Hi Levi,

I surely will. But as with anything, your needs will probably differ from mine. Going from an F-450 down to an F-150, I don't use my truck for work anymore. Heck, I've only put about 5K miles on this thing in 6 months. It sits for days (like its owner ).

I saw that nice Retrax model that Ray_PA mentioned, and I'd probably pull the trigger on that one if I needed something heavy duty. I just need something to keep the dindu's sticky fingers away from my stuff when traveling, and have it last a while here in brutal New England.

On a side note, I'm also curious to know if these covers really increase fuel mileage by 10%, or is that marketing hokum.
    Superglidesport, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post
    Hi Levi,

I surely will. But as with anything, your needs will probably differ from mine. Going from an F-450 down to an F-150, I don't use my truck for work anymore. Heck, I've only put about 5K miles on this thing in 6 months. It sits for days (like its owner ).

I saw that nice Retrax model that Ray_PA mentioned, and I'd probably pull the trigger on that one if I needed something heavy duty. I just need something to keep the dindu's sticky fingers away from my stuff when traveling, and have it last a while here in brutal New England.

On a side note, I'm also curious to know if these covers really increase fuel mileage by 10%, or is that marketing hokum.
    I tend to believe in 2017, if this was true, truck manufacturers would be putting them on the trucks OEM, since fuel mileage is such a big deal, especially with the F150 sized trucks. Or at least they would advertise the additional fuel mileage.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    My fuel mileage did not increase. I have a Lund roll up. The plastic end caps keep coming loose.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

C-Range (09-17-2017)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I tend to believe in 2017, if this was true, truck manufacturers would be putting them on the trucks OEM, since fuel mileage is such a big deal, especially with the F150 sized trucks. Or at least they would advertise the additional fuel mileage.
    Astute observation, as usual.

I keep remembering a great episode of Mythbusters where they tested pickup fuel mileage between tailgate up and tailgate down. Mileage was better with the tailgate up due to the formation of a bubble behind the cab which gets spoiled when the tailgate is down. This old memory made me suspicious of the claims.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post
    Astute observation, as usual.

I keep remembering a great episode of Mythbusters where they tested pickup fuel mileage between tailgate up and tailgate down. Mileage was better with the tailgate up due to the formation of a bubble behind the cab which gets spoiled when the tailgate is down. This old memory made me suspicious of the claims.
    I remember that episode also. Many times these ideas are just gimmicks or our imagination thinking something is correct, kind of like fuel mileage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Bed cover on my 2012 Silverado made no difference on gas mileage. It is still terrible, but it looks better.
    Levi, BigJim55, jdmich and 1 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    There aren't as many "brands" as you think there are.

https://truck-hero.com/

Extang always made a decent roll-up cover. Bak folding covers are pure garbage and are basically the same as any of the other brands owned by THI. The roll-up covers are ok from a few companies, but they were never my thing so I can't comment. I do know that they can be problematic if you get snow where you live because the mechanism can freeze. My brother had one that was "ok", but his issue was that it froze on him with enough regularity in the winter to be frustrating.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast