Like Tree147Likes

Thread: chevy truck thoughts?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts

chevy truck thoughts?

i have a 2006 chevy silverado 4/4 with 89,000 miles on it. a week and half ago, i had it to the local chevy garage to have the tranny oil replaced, along with the filter. Tuesday my youngest son asked if we could take it up north of us to pick up a welder he bought. so off we go-on the way back i thought it wasn't shifting right-from the sound of it.
    got home to his place-to unload the welder-and i started looking on the ground, and i see drips of oil. so i asked the boy to look underneath it-as right away i'm thinking-nothing has leaked on it before this all these yrs.

turns out the oil cooler lines was broke-cracked-i have no idea-cause we parked it-cause their was only a bit of oil on the dipstick then. i had it hauled back to the same chevy garage that had the pan down--why?-cause they was the last ones to touch it. is my believing

so my question to all u fellas--do u think them lines that run alongside of the tranny pan could have been pushed to the side to let the pan down-been cracked -because of that-and then started leaking

or was they rusted or corroded badly enough that with just touching them-caused them to go over the edge then-crack-break?? i talked to the tech that day-i had the oil changed-so if he would of thought they was shot(so to speak) i wished he would of came out and said-hey them lines are bad-they need changed-i would of agreed-and said change em.

wife stopped in at the garage yesterday-after she took her mother back to the home(she lives at the old folks home)-both places in the same town. boy i really want to be up there when it goes on the lift-just to find out for sure. i looked on rock auto yesterday-and if i was even close both lines from there is a bit under $30-i don't even know if i was on the right parts for sure.

i just hope nothing in my tranny was hurt by being that low on oil-jeepers-it seems it never ends -even if u take special care of a vehicle .

so give me some feed back--i'm waiting! and yes it should of been traded 3 yrs ago-instead i bought my x-475 at the time
    glc, Gizmo2, ColonyPark and 4 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Request they give you any and all bad parts that were replaced.
    mjncad, ColonyPark, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Thinking the age of the truck, the chemicals Pa and other states use on the winter roads and the metals GM and others are using on our vehicles.

Its possible the mechanic may have moved the line to cause the breakage .

When I was working at Advance seen guys and gals come in for brake and hyd lines for vehicles from 2011 and older. For some reason seemed GM, Ford and Dodge were the ones having problem .

Wouldn't think any damage was done by running low on fluid. You wasn't drag racing or pulling stumps out .

Later
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    I had to replace the tranny cooler lines on my wife's Yukon last year. It was a 2003 and had about 180,000 miles at the time. I noticed tranny fluid on the drive where she parked and we took it to the local tranny shop expecting the worst and were relieved when it was only the lines. Good Luck.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Request they give you any and all bad parts that were replaced.
    i always ask fo rmy old parts back-been for many moons--

Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Thinking the age of the truck, the chemicals Pa and other states use on the winter roads and the metals GM and others are using on our vehicles.

Its possible the mechanic may have moved the line to cause the breakage .

When I was working at Advance seen guys and gals come in for brake and hyd lines for vehicles from 2011 and older. For some reason seemed GM, Ford and Dodge were the ones having problem .

Wouldn't think any damage was done by running low on fluid. You wasn't drag racing or pulling stumps out .

Later
    ya-i'm afraid that is gonna be their answer too--road salt--- couple summers ago-when the ABS pump went bad because of the chipmunk fiasco of chewing the wires off. anyways-it was at the very same garage-and in order to replace that ABS pump-they had to replace all the brake lines-cause when they tried to remove the first one-it just fell to pieces-but they touched em first insurance company agreed to pay for the ones that ran to pump--which was all the wheels-so pretty much all of them.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    They were probably corroded and very fragile from road salt. Slight movement could easily cause the leak. Like you, I wouldn't be upset at them needing to be replaced, but I would be mad they didn't tell me and do it when they had it on the lift.

You need to check your brake lines also. I have a 2003 silverado and had the brake lines rust away. I was lucky, i was sitting in the driveway pumping the brake pedal when it burst, the day before i was on the NJ turnpike doing 80 in heavy traffic. It coulda been real bad! I had another one burst when i was driving it and that gets your attention real quick. Luckily it was low speed when it went.

never mind on the brake lines....just saw your post that we were typing at the same time!
    Last edited by Titleist1; 10-19-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    GMs from the early 2000s are rust magnets.

I have a 2004 Avalanche and have replaced all the brake lines cause of rust through. All fuel lines and fuel pump due to rust. All the lines for power steering cooler and the power steering cooler replaced due to rust.

Currently I need to crawl under it and check all the grounds for a bad connection most likely due to rust. Going down my road, when I hit some rumble strips the engine started cutting out then died. Wouldn't restart. Got out to eyeball it, got in and slammed door and it started. Ran fine until I hit another bump. Been parked until I get the time to work on it.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts
    I agree with the others Jim, nothing out of the ordinary except if the line was bumped by your recent service. Also the corrosion of lines isn't just a GM thing. We had a 2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and the same lines as you corroded through and started leaking. I'm thinking the Explorer was about the same age as your truck with a few less miles when it happened. We also had a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD and the coolant lines to the rear A/C rotted out at only about 4 years old. We replaced them and never had another problem and kept that van until 2013. BTW, despite the negative reviews, that was one of the best vehicles we have owned. We don't put many miles on our vehicles either and I do try to keep them washed during the winter, so exposure to the salt is better than some, I hope. But salt is salt. Good Luck with the repairs.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I think it is a combination of rust and coincidence. It is possible that the mechanic nudged or moved them while working, but good lines wouldn't be hurt from that- they move and vibrate naturally. If they were weakened or compromised, it wouldn't take much to create a leak.
    I doubt, seriously, that the mechanic did something wrong to cause the leak. Good lines are tougher than that.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    I think it is a combination of rust and coincidence. It is possible that the mechanic nudged or moved them while working, but good lines wouldn't be hurt from that- they move and vibrate naturally. If they were weakened or compromised, it wouldn't take much to create a leak.
    I doubt, seriously, that the mechanic did something wrong to cause the leak. Good lines are tougher than that.
    I agree with this 100%.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast