Time to buy a trailer!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Time to buy a trailer!

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

    Time to buy a trailer!

    Ok so Ive been looking at trailers and trailer threads for quite a few months now. After just renting a uhaul for the 1025r Im done going that route too much of a pain.
    Speaking to the wife the plan is when we get the new place this spring Im going to buy a trailer. Few factors in what Id like for a trailer.
    - 14 or 16 length 6ft wide with or without dovetail not a must for me as I think the folding gate matters more as I doubt the mmm will drag. Altho I will have attachments rear snow blower tiller etc...
    - 2 axels (3500 or 5000lb axels) must both have electric brakes
    - side and front stake pockets a must possibly rear if possible
    - a half length foldable ramp or a fold in ramp

    I plan on using it for hauling the 1025r both local roads and highways, also hauling materials (dirt mulch stonej and supplies
    I seem to be between equipment/car haulers and a utility trailer. I like pj and load trail I know they are basically the same, Im also open to a custom job and dont mind driving as if I get a pj Ill order it from an outfit in PA even though Im in mass.

    These two Im interested in but again open to a local or another brand as well

    https://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/...nnel-carhauler

    Really leaning towards the utility...

    https://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/...hannel-utility



    For now Ill be towing it with a V6 tacoma with tow package that states 6500 capacity. And in a year or two will be getting a full size truck. Id like this trailer to last a long time I prefer to buy once and buy right if possible.

    So any suggestions on another brand or likes/dislikes on pjs Id love to hear.
    Bubber, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Bubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,580
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 601 Times in 385 Posts
    As a point of reference, here's my former 1026r on my current Gatormade 18' car hauler:

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	hslF76Kj4LOgWRbY47IunwrQ1qiC5krwIEFBV6UC1pcLcHO8J-lCAwzdbILvFlkTHLfUkZ6Zgzay3DoUZSPFTz2HyFZzGJwj.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	477114

    I would have gotten a 20' if they made one at the time. In my area I was down to Gatormade and Big Tex, Gatormade was cheaper, but looked better than the Big Tex trailers when I bought.

    I was experimenting, but never ended up towing this load:

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Bb9Xq8RbnxBL3XzWoGAzWMTbqzc-CWKyOFQPQg5f4yYaNzJsm-CG0y8YcvEj9TYDd3CfyY0_-nDFXaT8jgw8yHOeXj3bEdie.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	477122

    You can load from the side with a car hauler, so that might be of interest to you. You can always build sides for it.

    I post these pics so you will consider length. If the trailer is too short, you may have a hard time balancing the load, especially if you have a gate and do not have the ability to overhang the rear at all.

    Now somebody is going to come along and tell you that you need a 30' deck over goose neck...you don't.
    2014 2032r Classic...


    -Dan

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

    Winter83(10-26-2017)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    As a point of reference, here's my former 1026r on my current Gatormade 18' car hauler:

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	hslF76Kj4LOgWRbY47IunwrQ1qiC5krwIEFBV6UC1pcLcHO8J-lCAwzdbILvFlkTHLfUkZ6Zgzay3DoUZSPFTz2HyFZzGJwj.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	477114

    I would have gotten a 20' if they made one at the time. In my area I was down to Gatormade and Big Tex, Gatormade was cheaper, but looked better than the Big Tex trailers when I bought.

    I was experimenting, but never ended up towing this load:

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Bb9Xq8RbnxBL3XzWoGAzWMTbqzc-CWKyOFQPQg5f4yYaNzJsm-CG0y8YcvEj9TYDd3CfyY0_-nDFXaT8jgw8yHOeXj3bEdie.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	477122

    You can load from the side with a car hauler, so that might be of interest to you. You can always build sides for it.

    I post these pics so you will consider length. If the trailer is too short, you may have a hard time balancing the load, especially if you have a gate and do not have the ability to overhang the rear at all.

    Now somebody is going to come along and tell you that you need a 30' deck over goose neck...you don't.
    Thats a nice trailer! That is one thing I like about the pj I can take the sides off... then again I can always make sides as well with a car hauler. Oh and Im sure and also a f-450 to haul it which Id love but right now not in the cards.
    OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    I have hauled my equipment almost daily for several years and own/use various trailers for the work. I suggest a 16' over the 14' mainly for load balancing with the truck your currently going to use plus you will appreciate the extra length in general. Like mentioned already, someone will probably suggest a 30' gooseneck. To add to that, someone will also say you will need a 1 ton diesel as well. For the equipment you listed as hauling and your planned uses, a 16' car hauler will suit you great. Build some sides to throw on it when your hauling materials and your good to go. I personally like dovetails just for the ease of loading equipment. It helps when/if you have an implement on the 3 point to prevent it dragging while loading/unloading but hey, if you don't need it then why pay for it. As far as drop down gates, what load limits do the gates have on the trailers your looking at? I have been well within spec but still made some drop gates look ragged rather quick when I started rolling 1500ish lbs up and down them several times with previous tractors I have owned. It wasn't as much of a weight issue on the gates as it was where the weight was rolling on them.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 10-26-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    OxPath, BigJim55, kjmk and 2 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

    Winter83(10-26-2017)

  9. Top | #5

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    I have hauled my equipment almost daily for several years and own/use various trailers for the work. I suggest a 16' over the 14' mainly for load balancing with the truck your currently going to use plus you will appreciate the extra length in general. Like mentioned already, someone will probably suggest a 30' gooseneck. To add to that, someone will also say you will need a 1 ton diesel as well. For the equipment you listed as hauling and your planned uses, a 16' car hauler will suit you great. Build some sides to throw on it when your hauling materials and your good to go. I personally like dovetails just for the ease of loading equipment. It helps when/if you have an implement on the 3 point to prevent it dragging while loading/unloading but hey, if you don't need it then why pay for it. As far as drop down gates, what load limits do the gates have on the trailers your looking at? I have been well within spec but still made some drop gates look ragged rather quick when I started rolling 1500ish lbs up and down them several times with previous tractors I have owned. It wasn't as much of a weight issue on the gates as it was where the weight was rolling on them.

    Thanks some great points, I was concerned about the gate as well where the supports are if they would line up with the tractors wheels especially if I’m off loading dirt etc and the constant driving on it with added weight.
    I love the idea of slide in ramps and noticed I can get some with the utility trailers as well... I’m wondering how heavy are they usually? When I think of the slide in ramps I think of how much of a pain that long sliding ramp is on the back of some box trucks. Only reason I like the gate is because it’s spring assist. (Granted I’m still young so I was thinking long term and less wear and tear on me ha) I haven’t seen any slide in ramps in person yet all I’ve seen at work sites I’m at are the equipment haulers.
    Last edited by Winter83; 10-26-2017 at 11:06 PM.
    OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  10. Top | #6
    Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Location
    Toddville, IA
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 75 Times in 64 Posts
    I have a setup like the one you are looking to get. I wanted sides cause I haul a lot of bulk type items besides the Deere. I have a 16' PJ utility trailer if I had it to do over I would have gone 18'. I have found that the PJ trailer is well built. I like the way PJ has the tongue jack mounted, when connected to the truck the jack can be rotated so when I lower the tail gate on the truck the jack is out of the way.

    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1832.JPG DSCN1835.JPG
    OxPath, BigJim55, Winter83 and 1 others like this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

    Winter83(10-27-2017)

  12. Top | #7
    Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Location
    Southwest VA
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    231
    Thanked 189 Times in 118 Posts
    Question. Will my Toyota Tacoma haul a trailor big enough for my 2038R?
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    Yancey

    2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72 rear blade
    Frontier 60 box blade
    Frontier 65 tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60 landplane
    Frontier 42 pallet forks
    Frontier 72 RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOHs bucket hooks
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer

  13. Top | #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have a setup like the one you are looking to get. I wanted sides cause I haul a lot of bulk type items besides the Deere. I have a 16' PJ utility trailer if I had it to do over I would have gone 18'. I have found that the PJ trailer is well built. I like the way PJ has the tongue jack mounted, when connected to the truck the jack can be rotated so when I lower the tail gate on the truck the jack is out of the way.

    Doug
    That looks like what Ive wanted in a utility trailer! And I agree the fold away jack is nice to save the tailgate.I just have a few questions if you dont mind?
    How is the fold up gate, does the machine ride on the supports or has the gate gotten beaten up over time? Did you get the standard gate or another model? Also wondering I see you got the flat deck any issues with the mmm or implements dragging on or off? Im between the 72 and 77 inch wide deck is that what you have or did you go wider? How does the Tacoma do when pulling it? Did you consider the carhaulers also or just the utility model? And if you were to do it over other than going longer anything else you would change about the trailer?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  14. Top | #9

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    Question. Will my Toyota Tacoma haul a trailor big enough for my 2038R?
    What is the weight of the2038r? Im pegging a 1025r with fel and mmm and my heavy hatch setup with 12 weights and fluid (fuel oil)at 2500 lbs that might be off but figure its around that. And the heavy old U-Haul 6x12 Im pulling is 1,730 and Toyota says I can pull 6500 total empty bed and I know thats not doing the math with the sticker on the truck in the door. But Id say Id try it on local roads. But if I had a trailer or was going to buy one Id make sure it has brakes. As especially the U-Haul that has surge brakes I know the tractor is back there not so much the empty trailer but loaded you have to be mindful. As for pulling I had no problem pulling on on ramps for highway with the ramps even at an incline like I said just drive smart as with any trailer.
    Short answer it should be good if under the weight but just my humble opinion. Im sure there will be others that have the machine or similar and will give a much better answer.
    BigJim55 and Yank like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  15. Top | #10
    Bubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,580
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 601 Times in 385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have a setup like the one you are looking to get. I wanted sides cause I haul a lot of bulk type items besides the Deere. I have a 16' PJ utility trailer if I had it to do over I would have gone 18'. I have found that the PJ trailer is well built. I like the way PJ has the tongue jack mounted, when connected to the truck the jack can be rotated so when I lower the tail gate on the truck the jack is out of the way.

    Doug
    That is a good point. I can't open my tailgate with the trailer hooked up.
    BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...


    -Dan

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts