Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Tires for Sienna AWD Van

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts

Tires for Sienna AWD Van

Not really a truck but looking for tires for our Toyota Sienna AWD van. Since it is now 10 yrs old and still only has 155XX miles the OE still has good tread thinking at least 1/2 wear but 10 yrs old. They are Run Flats so not many choices and since no spare tire and no place to put a spare tire. almost need to stay with Run Flats.

It came with Dunlops but have been looking at Bridgestones. Driveguard or Blizzak. Yes one all season the other a Winter tire, which ever I buy I will be leaving them on year around. Winter tire will cut MPG down a little and wear out quicker compared to the Driveguard.
    Had been leaning toward the Driveguard since we have the Subie and I keep winter tires on it in the winter months. But there may be a few times during the winter months we may take the van instead of the Outback. I've always been one to complain about 3 seasons tires for the area we live in . They may be fine since the small amount of snow we've had for the past couple of years. But on the other hand the Blizzak may last us a long time since we only drive the van maybe 5000 miles a year. I've had that tread design and just putting them on a FWD and then putting them on the rear at the end of winter I could get two winters out of a set driving that vehicle 5-7 days a week 44 miles round trip to work.

May not do anything till summer before going to the beach, I just think I want to trust a 10-11 yr old tire for a long trip. Van has been to Amish 180 miles one way once and planning on another trip hopefully this month.

HELP

Thanks
    coaltrain and Robnik like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I canít be any help but am in a similar predicament with winter/all season tires for my pickup. I am a firm believer in winter tires where I live also, but....

I have a set of Blizzaks for the Beetle Bug which are awesome. When it is icy out I feel better with that than my 4WD pickup.

But now I donít have to go anywhere. When I was working it was no choice but to put winter tires on.

I will be needing tires by next fall. My winter tires are done. I will be running the factory all season tires this winter for the first time and quite apprehensive about it. But I canít afford to buy 2 sets of tires within 10 months ($900 per set).

I may go with an all terrain tire that has the snowflake rating.

About the run-flat tires - why must you use them? Maybe I donít understand.
    etcallhome and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,910 Posts
    When our Forester needs tires it's getting Firestone Winterforce Tires.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Another thought - related to Gizmo's post -

If I were to run winter tires all year the Blizzaks would be my last choice. They have what is called micro-cell technology on the first half of the tread. This works great on ice but is prone to wear much faster especially in warm weather. I feel the Winterforce or equivalent might be the way to go.

Another possible issue with running winter tires all year is sloppiness on the highway. If you do much high speed (above 55mph) driving on the highway winter tires will be quite sloppy compared to other tires.

I only drive my pickup an average of 5k miles a year now. Almost any regular all season tire should last 40k miles at a minimum. So that would be 8 years - at the end of their useful life. I am going to look into the Winterforce tires for running all year on my pickup. If they would last 4-5 years I would be happy and problem solved for me.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I have Blizzaks on my Tundra (4WD) for the winter and we had been using them on the other half's Infinity Q50 (AWD) but the tread life on them stinks. I put her's on her car for 2 winters and they were bald by Feb of the 2nd winter. I'll be putting mine back on the truck this week for their 2nd winter but they'll need to be replaced next spring. As I recall, they claim you'll get 40,000 miles out of them but that is very optimistic IMO.

I just put Michelin snows on her Q50 to replace the Blizzaks. They are much quieter on dry pavement than the Blizzaks and are supposed to be better on ice. We'll see how well they handle snow.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Blizzaks were great in Alaska, but once the temps get up into about 40 degrees, you could almost watch the tread melt as you drive. I do not recommend them if you plan on using them year-round.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Blizzaks were great in Alaska, but once the temps get up into about 40 degrees, you could almost watch the tread melt as you drive. I do not recommend them if you plan on using them year-round.
    That reminds me - was at a tire shop in Mass getting a tire fixed when a guy came in to get his winter snows off in April. I mentioned about how late it was doing that as it was a warm spell - he said yeh, I could see black streaks on the road behind me.

I ran Blizzaks on all my VWís for winter and had no problem with wear. But I put them on early December and off mid March. Plus no highway driving - to work I averaged probably 40mph on all back roads.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    I've always run Michelin tires on my vehicles. Better wear better ride better traction. But they are costly.
    Kennyd, etcallhome and Gizmo2 like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

11. Top | #9
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I don't believe many people even heard of this brand of tire, but I can say they were awesome on my wife's AWD Equinox. Mileage (a bit over 55,000) out of them was excellent, but that is with any tire when you religiously rotate and keep them aired properly. There was still enough tread to pass another inspection too!

The tire brand was Nokian, and the tire was called the WR G2. A really weird tread design. Half summer tread, and half sort of a winter or aggressive all season. Never saw anything like it before. I was very skeptical. My wife couldn't have been happier, the way they performed in the snow for 5 years.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I don't believe many people even heard of this brand of tire, but I can say they were awesome on my wife's AWD Equinox. Mileage (a bit over 55,000) out of them was excellent, but that is with any tire when you religiously rotate and keep them aired properly. There was still enough tread to pass another inspection too!

The tire brand was Nokian, and the tire was called the WR G2. A really weird tread design. Half summer tread, and half sort of a winter or aggressive all season. Never saw anything like it before. I was very skeptical. My wife couldn't have been happier, the way they performed in the snow for 5 years.
    Nokian is well known in Europe and New England for snow and all season tires. They make a good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower