Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Trailer brake gain question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks

Trailer brake gain question

My truck came equipped with a trailer brake controller and I'm about to buy an 18 foot car hauler type trailer. When I pick up the trailer for the first time should I put in some gain ahead of time? Like a 1 or 2 setting or leave it on 0 while empty and towing it home? I've read how and watched videos on how to set it and you need to be driving with the trailer to do it. The trailer dealer is on a very busy highway and I doubt I can do the setup until I get near my house. When normally towing I'll have about a 3,000 lb tractor on it.
    Robnik and TheSilverFox like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    If there is any paved parking area when you pick up the trailer then I think it should be enough room to adjust the gain. I usually set it for just short of locking up the trailer tires with a full squeeze of the brake control override.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    There are various how-to instructions online for setting your brake controller to the trailer. The gist of it is that you want the trailer to be able to stop the tow vehicle from like 15 mph (flat ground, paved) without locking the trailer tires when you use the controller switch alone. What setting you use will obviously vary with each trailer but also with the current weight of cargo on the trailer. An unloaded trailer doesn't need as much gain as a loaded one or you'll be skidding the tires.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-09-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    If there is any paved parking area when you pick up the trailer then I think it should be enough room to adjust the gain. I usually set it for just short of locking up the trailer tires with a full squeeze of the brake control override.
    That’s exactly what I do also - only have to roll forward around 10’-20’ and mash it. If he needs to back up a couple times so be it.

Either that or leave it at zero until you find the first big parking lot and adjust it then.
    mark02tj and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    My truck came equipped with a trailer brake controller and I'm about to buy an 18 foot car hauler type trailer. When I pick up the trailer for the first time should I put in some gain ahead of time? Like a 1 or 2 setting or leave it on 0 while empty and towing it home? I've read how and watched videos on how to set it and you need to be driving with the trailer to do it. The trailer dealer is on a very busy highway and I doubt I can do the setup until I get near my house. When normally towing I'll have about a 3,000 lb tractor on it.

A good point to start out with is around 5 or 6 or about the mid point of the available settings. Every controller is a little different. Each trailer is also different, so there is no specific setting. DO NOT set it to zero as you will have NO braking. Second thing to remember is that a loaded trailer requires a higher setting. Usually you can bump it up about 2 points when loaded until you can figure out what works best for you. Another thing you need to watch out for:::: I bought a new 20ft aluminum car hauler trailer in 2014. No brakes. I had to "burn in" the brakes to get them to work. That required me to use max gain and drive around with a load on it while applying the brakes manually often for about a half hour.

Dave
    johnH123 and Robnik like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    For my F-150 and 18' Gatormade car hauler w/4 wheel brakes, I set it at 2 unloaded and 7 loaded with the 2032r and attachments.

The advice above is sound, you'll need to find your own settings, but there's mine for reference.
    Robnik likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Looking at the original post, I believe that you already know how to set a brake controller.

Your question is that since there is no safe spot to perform the setting when you pick up the new trailer, you want advice on whether to leave the controller at zero, or to dial in some specific setting before driving off the lot into heavy traffic to pull your new trailer home.

And my advice is to leave it at zero.

If you dial in some arbitrary number, it may be too high, and you run the risk of locking up your trailer brakes the first time you stop in heavy traffic, and that may lead to being rear ended or causing an accident. I'd prefer that not happen, if I were in your place.

Enjoy the new trailer!
    BillieS and Robnik like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    Since you are bringing it home empty and I am going to guess you have a truck that can handle the size of trailer you can put minimal gain in it and then adjust it on the way home. What does the trailer weigh empty? For that size, I am going to guess around 2 to 2.5k depending on what it is made of. Your truck brakes should handle that but you will have increased braking distances. I have adjusted many a trailer gain on the fly, really no big deal.
    wildbranch2007 and Robnik like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input so far guys. I have a 2013 Chevy Avalanche with the factory towing package. This will be my first trailer owned other than boat trailers I've had in the past. At least the first trailer with brakes anyway. I've towed U-hauls before but they don't count since they have their own built in brake systems.

The trailer I'm getting is a "Down to Earth" (brand name here) 18 ft car hauler. Has two 3500 lb axles with brakes on both. The bed is PT wood. The website doesn't give a weight of the trailer so I'm guessing around 2k lbs.
    Last edited by jimmylh; 12-10-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    Robnik likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    With my 2016 f250 and 20’ empty car trailer, I have to have the brake controller set at 0 or the trailer wheels will lock . With a light load I set it at 1 or 2.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast