Building sides for tilt bed - how tall should they be?
Like Tree29Likes
  • 5 Post By OldmanX
  • 2 Post By Schlubbe
  • 7 Post By grandpajay
  • 8 Post By ErikR
  • 3 Post By dieselshadow
  • 3 Post By Schlubbe
  • 1 Post By 69project

Thread: Building sides for tilt bed - how tall should they be?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-10-2019 @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks

Building sides for tilt bed - how tall should they be?

22' tilt bed trailer w/ 6' front platform. Already has stake pockets for 2x4 uprights. Want to build sides out of 2x stock. Current thinking is 2x10 along the bottom, then 2 2x6s. Just not sure how far apart to make the 2 top rails, or the total height of the walls.

Any suggestions welcomed.
    2017 3046r Open Station
    H165 FEL w/ 2 KBOGH & clevis combos
    Frontier 2065 Box Blade
    *not mechanically inclined*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks
    What materials do you plan to haul? And what will you be pulling ot with?

A 22' trailer could get pretty heavy if you're hauling stuff like shale or modified and try to load it very high. I've grossed in excess of 22,000 when hauling shale or modified in my 6x12 dump trailer, which put my trailer legally over weight. It has 2' sides with 18" extensions and wasn't more than 75% full (if that) at that weight. Fortunately the quarry is a short 4 mile haul to home. Hauling dirt/fill I've loaded the trailer to where it was so heavy it wouldn't dump. That's with a trailer that is 10' shorter than yours.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Not planning anything too heavy - basic utility trailer stuff, for now.

Have access to a decent dump trailer for horse manure runs, etc.

Really just have some moving coming up and would like to get it where stuff doesn't just slide off the sides and such.

How high do most folks go with them, and why did they go with that height is what I'm kinda looking for.

Thanks
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    2017 3046r Open Station
    Frontier 2065 Box Blade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    I put sides on my utility trailer and went with 5/4 cedartone treated deck boards from Menards. Two-5-1/2" boards at the bottom, 5-1/2" space and a top board. With the trailer stubby sides it works out to about 30" overall. It's nice for moving the kid's household stuff, but it's a stretch to stand on the ground to reach over the sides. I suppose it's a reasonable compromise. I like having lots of tie down options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailersides.JPG  
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grandpajay For This Useful Post:

Schlubbe (12-10-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I did something similar when I rebuilt the old family trailer. It's a home made 4x8 and I used 5/4 x 6 deck boards. So the sides are a little over 2' high and the tail is 1'

NOW.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0220 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	506170

1971?....... it had 2' high plywood sides that curved down to 1' high in the back... FYI, that's me in the trailer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07-05-2012 01;57;42PM_3.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	506178
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

Marlin (12-17-2017)

10. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    I did something similar when I rebuilt the old family trailer. It's a home made 4x8 and I used 5/4 x 6 deck boards. So the sides are a little over 2' high and the tail is 1'
    1971?....... it had 2' high plywood sides that curved down to 1' high in the back... FYI, that's me in the trailer...
    That is pretty cool.
    BigJim55, Marlin and rw580 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    I put sides on my utility trailer and went with 5/4 cedartone treated deck boards from Menards. Two-5-1/2" boards at the bottom, 5-1/2" space and a top board. With the trailer stubby sides it works out to about 30" overall. It's nice for moving the kid's household stuff, but it's a stretch to stand on the ground to reach over the sides. I suppose it's a reasonable compromise. I like having lots of tie down options.
    That's exactly the sort of thing I wasn't thinking about, but need to consider! Thanks

Make them as tall as you can comfortably reach over. I really wouldn't have even thought about that til it was too late. No substitute for real-world experience.

Thanks again!
    BigJim55, Marlin and em14 like this.
    2017 3046r Open Station
    Frontier 2065 Box Blade

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlubbe View Post
    Not planning anything too heavy - basic utility trailer stuff, for now.

Have access to a decent dump trailer for horse manure runs, etc.

Really just have some moving coming up and would like to get it where stuff doesn't just slide off the sides and such.

How high do most folks go with them, and why did they go with that height is what I'm kinda looking for.

Thanks
    When I had my open deck tilt car trailer it had stake pockets as well. I built removable wooden/wire fence panels that were roughly 4 feet high. Firewood and household goods were the heaviest loads I hauled with it. Since it was 4"x4" wire fence panels stapled to the fence frame I wasn't hauling any material like dirt/gravel with it. My trailer was rated at 7500lbs. I didn't have any certain criteria for selecting the 4 foot height other than I could cut 8 foot 2x4 studs in half and have 2 pieces. At the time a 2x4x8 was the cheapest piece of wood I was looking at to do what I needed. It theoretically gave me the least cuts needed. While I have lots of saw etc, I am not exactly the kind of carpenter you want to call if you have a need for such services so the easier the job is set up the better!
    Marlin likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements