Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Truck dies after fill up

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks

Truck dies after fill up

Had something happen twice now, just curious for some input from some of y'all that may be more mechanically inclined.

There is a gas station on the way home from work that I've only stopped at twice to gas up my work truck because I forgot to stop in town.

Here's the sequence....The truck has been running normally, I kill the engine and fill up, the truck starts fine and immediately stalls. It then cranks for little while, starts, and idles roughly for a few seconds before returning to normal, with no further problems through the course of using that tank of fuel.

This has never happened at any other station, but has happened both times I've gotten gas here. What's going on??? F-150, if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Old Cajun likes this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Hi traffic gas station? Water in their tanks?
    Last edited by fdmars; 02-07-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    When you fill the tank are you topping it off? I think I read somewhere that if you top off the tank it is bad for the vapor reclaiming system. With all these newer vehicles you are not supposed to top them off - once it clicks of stop there.

I had to have a talk with the manager at my regular gas station. Some employees were topping off the tanks and/or trying to gring it to an even a dollar amount. Can’t do that anymore.
    Old Cajun, userjh160 and RonPol like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    How old is truck? How close to empty? Stir up some crud in tank and block fuel filter???
    It's a 2014. It has been pretty low both times but not any lower than many other times I've filled up

Old Cajun likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    When you fill the tank are you topping it off? I think I read somewhere that if you top off the tank it is bad for the vapor reclaiming system. With all these newer vehicles you are not supposed to top them off - once it clicks of stop there.

I had to have a talk with the manager at my regular gas station. Some employees were topping off the tanks and/or trying to gring it to an even a dollar amount. Can’t do that anymore.
    No sir, not topping it off. I've found it spills gas if I even attempt it

Old Cajun likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    Hi traffic gas station? Water in their tanks?
    Not very much traffic. They $0.30 higher than the stations in town. Water may be a possibility.

Old Cajun likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
    Not very much traffic. They $0.30 higher than the stations in town. Water may be a possibility.
    It is not water,, or,,, you would be quoting how each tow truck ride cost $75,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    The fuel is most likely badly aerated when being pumped / transferred into your tank. This affects your fuel pumps ability to pressurize your system until the air bubbles in the fuel subside.

They may have a leak in the piping on the intake side within the tank. It’s sucking air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (02-07-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    The fuel is most likely badly aerated when being pumped / transferred into your tank. This affects your fuel pumps ability to pressurize your system until the air bubbles in the fuel subside.

They may have a leak in the piping on the intake side within the tank. It’s sucking air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I didn't think to mention that the pump seems abnormally fast. Related to bubbles in the gas or maybe cavitating or something?

Old Cajun and buckteeth445 like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    I don't know what you have for fuel in LA. Pretty much everywhere now has ethanol in the fuel unless it is recreational gas. Is that the case in LA?

If so I doubt water is the cause. Even if low on fuel, it would take a while to burn through the fuel in the fuel lines and filter to get the fuel to the engine and cause it to stall. Also for those of us up north that are old enough to remember the days before ethanol was common in fuel, we used to have to add HEET or other Isopropyl alcohol additives to the fuel. The alcohol is added to bond with the water and pull it through the system so it doesn't freeze in the lines and cause issues. The ol in Enthanol means it is an alcohol and it does the same thing that Isopropyl Alcohol did. This is why gas stations when from selling cases of the stuff a day down to they might have a couple of dusty bottles sitting in the mini automotive section. While I am not a fan of Ethanol, the one positive side effect is that we don't have to mess with HEET or other additives for water anymore. Might need them for other reasons now though.

You mentioned the pump runs really fast. Can you set it at one click assuming you can lock the pump on? I have been in some parts of the country that don't allow fuel pump locks because they might cause an overflow I guess. If so can you try a lower setting? I guess it is possible that air is in the gas. It is possible that the bubbles are sucked through the lines quicker that the gas.

I had a vehicle do something like this once. Well slightly different. It would run fine. Pull up to the gas pump. Get out and fill. Then the car was really hard to start or wouldn't start at all. In that case it was a coolant temp sensor. The ECU would think that the engine was cold based on the coolant temp reading lower than it really was so it would put it in cold start mode when it was hot. This would cause the engine to flood. Of course if the car had been sitting for a few hours and it was actually cold it would start just fine. Only when I got out and tried to restart shortly after it was shut down like at a gas station or a quick stop at a store. In your case it seems limited to only this one gas station though so I don't think that is it.
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast