Green Tractor Talk banner
27K views 139 replies 39 participants last post by  Jim Timber 
#1 ·
I was browsing through older photos and realized I have quite a few "trailer shots". My current car hauler is an American Hauler aluminum 20' tandem axle 10,000 gvrw hauling a payload of approximately $8,400 lbs. I seem to burn through trailers as I always end up wanting bigger. For one reason or another, I never seem to learn my lesson. Anyways, here's some pictures of my trailer with various pick-ups and deliveries and a few that have been delivered to me.

I came home this week to see a boo-boo on my fender. Turns out my "assistant" didn't heed the advice to swing it wide! :lol:

I do recommend American Hauler trailers. I like the rear storage for the ramps behind the right side rear fender and they offer both HD deck tie downs and stake pockets along the side as well as a rub rail. Additionally, they provide space to mount a spare tire horizontally on the tongue. I'd still like some rear jack stands, a storage box, drive-over fenders, among other things, but I'm sure I'll upgrade soon enough.

You may see an enclosed trailer as well. That is 6" higher than standard so I can fit whatever can go in a "standard" height garage in this trailer. Still 10,000 gvrw, but the trailer weighs close to 4,000 lbs so payload is capped at around 6,000.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
still more...

Attachments

#7 ·
I got a flat tire in the first 60 miles of driving my enclosed trailer. Also, the front, left side panel came untucked from the trim and started flapping in the wind on the maiden voyage. For my troubles, the dealer/manufacturer provided me a $250 cash rebate.

I've had one flat tire on my Load E tires on my open car hauler in approximately 12,000 miles.

Never had a flat on any of my previous trailers, but have had brake issues on almost every trailer I've owned except these most recent two.

Light issues? Don't get me started. :banghead:

#8 ·
:bigthumb: nice pics of all ur tractor and trailers. but.....where in the world do u find so many used tractors at?

do u attend lots of auctions, ?:unknown:u must be doing things right-so i'm happy. i wished we had such a person around here that done this.:munch:

#10 ·
You have some great trailers. I had a custom made American Hauler enclosed trailer made back in 2007. I've put over 300,000 miles on it with no problems other than the occasional flat tire and tearing off a fender after running over a recap that had come loose from a tractor-trailer rig ahead of me one night. I pulled off to the side of the highway and looked for the fender but never did find it. Must have sailed off into the woods. :hide:

#11 ·
Yeah, I really like my American Hauler. If I had more space, I'd discuss being a dealer for them. I've been to their factory too, everyone was very friendly. Same with the customer service team.

I've gotta get a bigger trailer this year. I need to be able to haul three at a time. I should probably go with a gooseneck, but could get by with a bumper pull. It'll be somewhere in the 30-36' range.

I'm sure the majority says go with gooseneck???

#21 ·
Get a gooseneck. After your done towing, flip the ball over and you have your entire truck bed again. Fifth wheel plates can be removed from the bed but likely would need two people or tractor to remove. Plus unbolting or some sort of rail system to deal with. Most car hauler/equipment trailers that I see are gooseneck. My F350 came with a factory gooseneck hitch but they are available everywhere...B&W is a good one.500$

#22 · (Edited)
I haul my tractor on both a gooseneck and bumper pull depending on which trailer is free when needed but I would much rather haul it on the gooseneck. Every single aspect of hauling the tractor on the gooseneck is more pleasant. The truck rides better, drives better, and overall just feels like I have better control while towing. Plus, none of my trailers have supports/stands on the rear to drop when loading the tractor. When loading onto the bumper pull the tractor going up the ramps often picks the rear end of my truck up unless I take the time to stuff something (a chunk of 6"x"6" works well) under the rear of trailer. The tractor doesn't weigh enough to do this when using the gooseneck. I have a B&W hitch and it takes just a few seconds to turn the ball over and have full use of my truck bed.

#25 · (Edited)
The DOT guys must look the other way when you drive by. Even the weight stations must like you very much. I only saw two correctly tied down tractors on any of your trailors. I could never be that lucky.
Leo
Well I guess the world is just full of idiots, eh? Me, DOT, wieght station. Thanks for being there to point it out :lol:

#24 ·
I see what you mean about strap placement and running webbing over surfaces. When I bought my 2720 and strapped it down to my trailer, the guys at the dealership commented that I did a better job than they would have securing it.

em14, is this the standard you would reference for 10,000+ hauling?
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulatio...securement-chapter-2-general-cargo-securement

Purdue has a good article on securing loads too:

https://ag.purdue.edu/soilandwater/...-legal-transportation-of-cargo-and-equipment/

It's definitely non-trivial.

#27 ·
So the title of the thread should have been "Tractors barely on trailers"Hahaha! Just kidding GoodWorks! I had to. It was setup so we'll.:hide::laugh:

#28 ·
Lol! See, now that's funny.

I don't like posting stuff so that the internet police can come out of the woodwork, but it is what it is.

I have had police stop and check out my loads while I've pulled off to double check things two different times. Neither mentioned any issues. I tie down on the front and back. I had a dealer tell me recently that I should put an additional strap on the bucket too. So, I've started doing that although I couldn't find any rulebook specifically stating to do so.

I make sure everything is secured. The last thing I want is to have equipment sliding off.

#29 ·
Basic DOT rule is this -

Machine under 10k# - 2 tie downs
Machine over 10k# - 4 tie downs.
Each implement must have its own tie down (loader, backhoe, etc.)

If you follow that you will be fine.

When I was an equipment operator instructor we got to spend a day with the local DOT guys. Learned a lot and heard some great horror stories. They said if you follow what I wrote above, and not be a “jerk” you will be fine.

Also be sure your tie down gear is in good shape. You are supposed to be able to read the weight rating on every piece. That gets tough with chains that have been used for a while. With straps make sure the tag is legible and there are no tears in them.

Now it they want, they could find 20 things wrong with a push mower on a trailer. All depends on your attitude.

#33 ·
There are many people hauling Illegal improper loads. I think the reason is the lack of available DOT Transportation officer's. Not saying we need more. Different guys than local or state police here in SC. If transportation police has a truck/trailer pulled over, you can guarantee it's not for speeding... probably a weight check, logbook check, or load check. Now if a state trooper has one pulled, then it's most likely a speeding ticket. At least here in SC if you see transportation on the side of his cruiser and your towing something, he won't be giving you a ticket for lane change... probably something to do with the trailer and what's on it.

#34 ·
Around here being very rural there is at least one state trooper at each barraks trained on DOT inspections. I will see them now and then sitting on the side of the road and pulling trucks in one at a time at random. They mostly pick on the big trucks.

However to my north I’ve seen them really pick on small landscape type outfits. The guys with a tandem axle landscape trailer behind a pickup with a mower or two on board. I wish they would do that around here as I have never seen any of them with anything tied down on their trailers.

When I was doing it I used FastStraps for my zero turn - took all of 10 seconds to tie it down. I wasn’t about to run around with a $10k machine not tied down.....

Jungle Jim's FaStrap Tie Down System (Sold Individually)

Vehicle Riding mower Lawn mower Outdoor power equipment Mower

#35 ·
Dovetails

Is there anyway to make the dovetails usable space? I'm talking about the type that have the ramps that fold down and lay flat against them. Seems like such a waste of good deck space although I highly prefer offloading tractors from dovetails than the flat decks with ramps. Some of those pitches are steep!

#36 ·
Is there anyway to make the dovetails usable space? I'm talking about the type that have the ramps that fold down and lay flat against them. Seems like such a waste of good deck space although I highly prefer offloading tractors from dovetails than the flat decks with ramps. Some of those pitches are steep!
Some dove tails have slide in ramps - or removeable and stored by sliding into the sides of the trailer. You’d have to check the weight rating of them.

Vehicle Trailer Transport Automotive exterior Commercial vehicle

Product Floor Table Machine Steel

#38 · (Edited)
There are multiple configurations regarding having useable space with fold up ramps on the dovetail.

Edit: here are a few options

Attachments

#39 ·
There are multiple configurations regarding having useable space with fold up ramps on the dovetail. Here is just one example
Yeah, but I'm thinking about when having a full trailer. Like 3-4 tractors lined front to back. Maybe I could scoot them all forward with loaders up enough to get all the tires on the flat deck, flip up the ramps, and then drive back and rest on top of the ramps? Not sure if that makes sense.

#42 ·
Something like this

Attachments

#43 · (Edited)
Personally, I think the monster ramps like shown on the PJ trailer is really useful. It would allow for pulling the tractors forward then backing one tractor back onto the ramps like you mentioned wanting plus allows for a larger flat deck to haul implements/frieght as well. Just an overall more useful trailer with a smaller investment over the hydraulic options. I have gone through multiple trailers and every trailer I have purchased has came with lessons learned and wanted improvements I look for on the next trailer. As my equipment needs change often it requires a trailer change as well. I keep searching for that "one trailer that does ALL extremely well" but I have yet to find it. Seems like I'm always having to sacrifice something I want to get something that serves another need better.

#44 ·
Agree, and not too difficult to lift the loader and rest the bucket on them. Possibly some implements if you have enough working room on the trailer.

Advantage is better weight distribution, if you need to get some weight off the tow vehicle, you can use the ramp area.

#45 · (Edited)
Here is my 4044R on my 20' PJ equipment trailer pulled by my 2015 F150 w/ 5.0L V-8 power. It's close to max gross at 14,820lbs as she sits in the picture withthe RX2072 & H180 attached.

I should have kept my 2000 F-350 7.3L as I thought I was done hauling. But I think a new 6.7L F-350 is in my future.

The F-150 hauls (and stops) this load just fine though.

Attachments

#86 ·
Hey I have an 18’ 7k trailer I pull my 4044m around with. My biggest pet leave besides the entire tractor, is how far the Bush hog sticks off the back. Do you know if there’s any law about how far past the trailer something can stick out? Idk why or how the dealerships get away with selling these little trailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#46 ·
It’s my understanding that your supposed to have 4 tie downs on anything with wheels. For the most part the DOT doesn’t pull many private guys over. But, occasionally,like on holiday weekends they will pull over folks hauling ATV’s , boats and other toys that aren’t tied down properly.

We have a couple small towns where the local cops really watch boaters as they leave the ramps lookin for missing transom tie downs and burned out tail lights. Although I think they are hoping for DUI’s , as they also like to stop stock car guys on the way home, but seldom bother them on the way to the track.

Reactions: BigJim55
#49 · (Edited)
It’s my understanding that your supposed to have 4 tie downs on anything with wheels. For the most part the DOT doesn’t pull many private guys over. But, occasionally,like on holiday weekends they will pull over folks hauling ATV’s , boats and other toys that aren’t tied down properly.

We have a couple small towns where the local cops really watch boaters as they leave the ramps lookin for missing transom tie downs and burned out tail lights. Although I think they are hoping for DUI’s , as they also like to stop stock car guys on the way home, but seldom bother them on the way to the track.
u talk about this-and it happened here at my local fairgrounds racetrack yrs ago(mid 80's) this fella was the local creeper cop here back then. he worked the local wood haulers over, steel haulers, u name it-ole neil was hated by all.

he wrote my dad a ticket back then for having monkey links in his tie down chains-all because theyw asn't welded on the ends. my dad used a ball pein hammer to bend them shut, and once shut, peined them over then.

back then if u was suppose to have a chain every 10 ft on ur load of timber.

now this fella did stop lots of the racers after the race, until he happened to stop his captains nephew , piut him out of service for something small. then a couple yrs later we had a bad snow storm that knocked power out to lots of people. the light company brought in subs to repair the power. once he had power, at the end of his lane, he checked that sub out, and red-tagged him right on the spot:nunu:the light company paid the subs fine, after they got a wrecker to bring him to the Mack garage to fix the small item.

the creeper cop had a truck pulled over on the pike some time after that, and he had to take a dive over the guard rails from the traffic, and ended up in the pital for a while. i think that,s when he retired then. their was no giving or working with him for sure.

i've gotten DOT inspected all over the country and never got a ticket for any load i ever had on, or when i drove for a company either. but i adjusted my own brakes back then, and knew my equipment. automatic slack adjusters was just coming out when i worked for my last trucking company then.

we need some kind of enforcement out there for sure. otherwise fellas would just take full advantage and companies also. but that fella was just out for revenuer back then-IMO.

caoltrain-back then i read that little green and red books religious all the time:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.