Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Selecting a Dump Trailer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-09-2019 @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks

Selecting a Dump Trailer

I've been contemplating a dump trailer about half seriously as of late. I am between a 5x10, 6x10 or 6x12. I like the size & price of 5x10 for my dumping/material hauling activities as well as easier storing it. I cant/wont go larger than 6x12 as my tow vehicle is an 02 tundra (7200ish tow limit). Once in a blue moon i'd like to be able to trailer the 1025R with FEL & BB or BH. Taking measurements, it sure seems like the 10' trailers are just too small, has anyone done this successfully? If so, would you say you'd be willing to do it 3x in a given year? or is it a once in a pinch and not doing that again?

in regards to the FEL and BB config i think i'd stuff the BB in the bed of the truck & hang the bucket over the front wall of the trailer. I'm not so sure with the BH Config, perhaps pulled in backwards with the bucket stored in the truck bed and the BH turned off to one side.

As i said, this is a very rare occasion, im aware of the CG/length downsides for this setup. one of my neighbors has a 7x14 load trail dump - it is definitely too big for my needs and storage.
    2018 1025R TLB | iMatch | LandShark 54" BB | KK 5' Professional Tiller | Titan Forks | TM-86H Chipper | Toothbar & Backhoe Ripping Blade | 10 Suitcase Weights

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a 16', gooseneck dump trailer last Spring. I went with a Kauffman, primarily based on price in regards to my needs. The trailer is well built, so it exceeds my needs in that department.
    Here's where, I believe, that I compromised. Or got compromised. The paint finish is not as durable as I'd like. Like so many things, today- including dad's 5065E- the paint is applied directly over the steel, with no primer. It has come off in numerous spots on the bed floor. I'll repaint it to protect it, and for what I paid for it, I am still happy. But, I'd say that the finish on the trailer is worth considering, and powdercoating would be better than no primer/automotive paint. The elements are harsh on the bed, and depending on how you use it (I'm hauling horse manure in ours), the life could be greatly shortened.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    Personal opinion is that you are not going to find a dumper that accommodates both your tow vehicle limitation & the size of the 1025 w/attachment.

Having said that, we have a PJ 10x5 tandem axle dumper (7K) and have been very satisfied with construction, finish & function. The hydraulics are strong enough to dump with a full load on board. It is a handy size for maneuvering & tracks within the wheel tracks of our F-150, so no worries on narrow roads/trails.

With regards to 1025R, my gut feeling is that 16' is as short as you would want to go for stress free towing (thinking CoG & attachments). We use an 18' Aluma car hauler for our 1025R & 3038e and I would not want anything smaller (& sometimes wish it was a 20').

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; 03-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Jep and Treefarmer like this.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure on a 1025 length, but my 2320 with loader fills a 14' shed, so I'd say even a 12' trailer won't "contain" the tractor and loader.
    Or is the 1025 that much shorter?

And personally, I'd go with a 6' wide, in case you want to haul mowers or something, gives you more leeway room.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Here is a thought coming from my camper background. That 7200# towing capacity means absolutely nothing. I have yet to find a vehicle which can safely tow within all specs any weight remotely close to the advertised towing rating.

The problem is well before you get close to that number you have a few other things working against you. The biggest one is tongue weight in relation to hitch weight. For stability you want to maintain somewhere in 10-15% of the trailer (and cargo) on the tongue. That tongue weight is in turn directly on the hitch. Depending on that load you also might need a weight distributing hitch to prevent too much weight from squatting the rear end, overloading the rear axle and unloading the front axle which can be bad when you want to do things like, you know, steer the vehicle. A weight distributing hitch isn't light. Ours comes in around 80#. The weight of that hitch and the tongue weight now needs to go against the cargo limits of the tow vehicle. That is the next place you are going to go over.

Case in point. We have a 2011 Yukon Denali. It has a "tow rating" of 8100#. However it has a max hitch weight rating of 1000#. 80# of that is eaten up by that WD Hitch and stabilizer bars which leaves 920#. Well lets say we have a trailer and cargo in the trailer which weighs 6500# with 14% on the tongue for stability. Well we are at 910# tongue weight. Add in that 80# hitch and I have 10# of wiggle room before maxing out the hitch on the truck. So before even looking at combine cargo rating I am pegged out at 6500# not even close to the marketing 8100# tow rating. The only way I can see a vehicle getting close to the advertised number is if pulling a hay wagon. GM isn't the only one guilty of this. On the camping forum we help people all the time with these calculations (hopefully before they bought the camper) and every manufacturer of trucks out there does this.
    BigJim55 and Jep like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Jep (03-08-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Not sure on a 1025 length, but my 2320 with loader fills a 14' shed, so I'd say even a 12' trailer won't "contain" the tractor and loader.
    Or is the 1025 that much shorter?

And personally, I'd go with a 6' wide, in case you want to haul mowers or something, gives you more leeway room.
    I too feel a 12’ trailer is too short. It’s been a while since I measured my 1026R, but I think it’s just over 13’ long with the blower or loader. I have a 20’ trailer and I wouldn’t want it to be any shorter.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Personal opinion is that you are not going to find a dumper that accommodates both your tow vehicle limitation & the size of the 1025 w/attachment.

Having said that, we have a PJ 10x5 tandem axle dumper (7K) and have been very satisfied with construction, finish & function. The hydraulics are strong enough to dump with a full load on board. It is a handy size for maneuvering & tracks within the wheel tracks of our F-150, so no worries on narrow roads/trails.

With regards to 1025R, my gut feeling is that 16' is as short as you would want to go for stress free towing (thinking CoG & attachments). We use an 18' Aluma car hauler for our 1025R & 3038e and I would not want anything smaller (& sometimes wish it was a 20').

Nick
    I have a 12 foot utility trailer and I used to mount my 2210 (same size as a 1 series) on it without issue. I would have to set the bucket on the front rail. On the 3 point I had a quick hitch with a heavy hitch and 8 weights. No issues. This was on single axle trailer with a 3500 lb rating. Not a big fan of a single axle but my budget dictated that type of trailer at that particular moment. Towed it all the way from Texas to NC like that with zero issues. I also ran it to/from my rental to my property for about 18 months until I was able to move in.

So I would recommend a 12 foot long dump trailer. Any shorter and it's going to be a big issue. If you have any sort of attachment other than a box blade it might be an issue with a 12 foot trailer. If you get a load distribution hitch does that increase your tow rating with the Tundra? I recommend one regardless. I have had one with my Chevy dually and 28 foot enclosed trailer and it makes pretty nice to tow.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    My JD 650 is a WAY bigger base tractor than a 1025,,

here it is in my 6X10 dump trailer,

Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-14-2019 @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks
    I just purchased a 1025r with fel and BH and transported from New Hampshire to Connecticut with a 14ft car trailer. Fel was on front flat and BH was curled up as much as possible to not hang over back of trailer. At home I can fit the 1025r and fel into 12ft shed if I take the BH off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-09-2019 @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    CADPlans trailer makes me think its doable with a 10 ft trailer. i do agree on the 6' width. I totally understand the desire for a 14-16-20 ft trailer, but its either a 10/12 or none at all for me. And the tractor is not the prime reason for the trailer. I had looked at a PJ, they do seem awfully nice. A neighbor has a 14' loadtrail, i may try loading the tractor in it to see how well my scheme would work.
    BigJim55 and Jep like this.
    2018 1025R TLB | iMatch | LandShark 54" BB | KK 5' Professional Tiller | Titan Forks | TM-86H Chipper | Toothbar & Backhoe Ripping Blade | 10 Suitcase Weights

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast