Pintle hitch

Thread: Pintle hitch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-14-2015 @ 10:50 PM
    Thanks

Pintle hitch

Hey guys I need a Pinter hitch set up for my truck to haul the trailer I have access to that will take the weight of the 4120, loader and implements. I'd like the hitch to be rated at 12k or better. I need a class 5. 2.5 in shank hitch with 8-10 in drop to get to my trailer. Haven't had much luck was hoping someone with a newer ford or gm has run into this problem, as I'd prefer not to run a bushing in the receiver hitch.

This was supposed to go in the truck and trailer section.
    Last edited by Yotaman16; 10-21-2014 at 10:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-11-2016 @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    You are going to spend 2-300$ for a drop hitch like you are looking for it would need to be forged and it will have a flat plate to bolt the pentle mount to the box size will be 2.5 for the rating you are looking for. why not try to find a goose? 12500 is a lot for a tag trailer.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    eTrailer.com has a couple of 2.5" Class V pintle hitches but none with that much drop.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    What are you towing this with?

Pintle hitch trailers are usually designed to be hauled by big trucks- tandem axle semi tractors or dump trucks. The design usually puts the axles very near the back of the trailer which results in an extremely high tongue weight. That's not an issue of a heavy duty truck, the suspension is designed differently and the hitch is much closer to the rear axle than on a pickup. Additionally, the pintle trailers are usually pretty heavy.

It's very, very easy to create a very unsafe load using a pintle hitch trailer behind a pickup because the tongue weight is so high, and most pintle trailers are set up for air or air over hydraulic brakes that pickups can't power. My recommendation would be to just pass on borrowing that one, there are way too many potential downsides for me to offset the use of the trailer.

That said, I have a 2.5" receiver on my truck and haven't seen a hitch like you want. There are lots of 2.5" pintle mounts, but I haven't seen anything with that kind of drop.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post

Pintle hitch trailers are usually designed to be hauled by big trucks- tandem axle semi tractors or dump trucks. The design usually puts the axles very near the back of the trailer which results in an extremely high tongue weight. That's not an issue of a heavy duty truck, the suspension is designed differently and the hitch is much closer to the rear axle than on a pickup. Additionally, the pintle trailers are usually pretty heavy.

It's very, very easy to create a very unsafe load using a pintle hitch trailer behind a pickup because the tongue weight is so high, and most pintle trailers are set up for air or air over hydraulic brakes that pickups can't power. My recommendation would be to just pass on borrowing that one, there are way too many potential downsides for me to offset the use of the trailer.
    I see a LOT of landscape and small equipment trailers with pintle hitches on them that are rated in the 8k-12K range and come with electric brakes. They aren't uncommon by any means. Most trailer dealers give you the option of a pintle hook or a 2 5/16" ball hook-up. IMO, the pintle hook on those is probably excessive but if someone is buying one to haul a SkidSteer around with a dump truck and already has a pintle hitch on their truck, it makes sense to stick with the same setup for all their trailers.

The only trailers I've seen that are under 15k and have air brakes are the ex-military trailers.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's getting towed by a 2013 2500 hd with a 6.0. The trailers really not that heavy it's rated for 12 is dual axle with breaks. However it came set up for a pintle hitch. I got nailed when I bought my normal hitch too cost me $300 it's Machined solid block of aluminum that's fully adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post

That said, I have a 2.5" receiver on my truck and haven't seen a hitch like you want. There are lots of 2.5" pintle mounts, but I haven't seen anything with that kind of drop.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    How much lift is on your truck that you need 8-10" of drop ? I have a Dodge 2500 4x4, which is by no means a low sitting truck and use 3" of drop for my boat trailer and no drop for my 10k car trailer. My car trailer uses a pintle hitch.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    02-16-2017 @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    I have the same truck and I use a 6" drop hitch at most. I did buy a 6" drop receiver with 2.5" shank that i use with a ball mount for my utility trailer. I think curt makes a pintle mount in 2.5" you would have to do a search to see if they make one with enough drop. Another option would be to buy an adapter and what you are looking for in a 2" shaft and weld the adapter to it so it works in your 2.5" hitch... Good luck.

2014 John Deere 1025R
    H120 Loader with 53" Bucket
    54D MMM with auto connect
    JD 3 point receiver hitch
    54" front snow plow
    KK XB 48" Tiller
    TaylorWay 48" Box Blade
    Kk 60" grader blade
    KK 72" landscape rake
    TracVac PTO yard sweeper
    PSRUMORS Upgraded Seat Springs
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    Forward Lighting Kit (currently turned to the rear)
    BXpanded tooth bar

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    The truck has a 4 in lift but I only have 2 in the rear to level the truck out. But then you have to factor in the tires too. The back is 3-4 in higher then stock probably.

Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    How much lift is on your truck that you need 8-10" of drop ? I have a Dodge 2500 4x4, which is by no means a low sitting truck and use 3" of drop for my boat trailer and no drop for my 10k car trailer. My car trailer uses a pintle hitch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    I have a Land Rover Discovery II that is lifted and has a custom off-road rear bumper with the receiver hitch dead in the middle of the bumper.. I use an 11" drop ball for towing the trailer I use to haul the 1026R to the dealer as needed (and other things). But that is light duty compared to what you guys are talking about.
    Randy
    New: 2017 JD 2032R. R3 turf, 220R FEL with Single Point, 7-iron 60D MMM, Artillian Diverter; 2019 Z740r
    Previous: 2012 JD 1026R, R3 turf, H-120 FEL, 7-iron 60D MMM
    Attached: EA Wicked 55 Grapple, iMatch, Heavyhitch w/8x42lb, JD BB5060L, JD LR5060L, JLF-2242 forks, Shaver 101 PHD, Countyline 48" rotary cutter
    Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, JD10 Cart, Countyline 25 ton splitter
    Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; BR600 Magnum
    Critters: Bees, Chickens, Maremmas

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements