• 1 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 4 Post By nikdfish

Thread: Home brew tongue weight scale

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks

Home brew tongue weight scale

I have wanted an easier way to judge tongue weight (i.e. no bathroom scale & lever), but didn't want to pay for a $140+ scale. I finally put together a "budget" version that should at least get me in the right ballpark when I have concerns using a small hydraulic ram & a pressure gauge.

I had looked at a few hydraulic rams, like those in a porta-power unit & ran across the Strongway hydraulic 2-ton mini ram sold at Northern tools (& Amazon). It is a small unit with a cylinder face area of 0.95 square inches (diameter = 1.10"). It is a bit under 6" tall & 1.5" across. I bought one for about $23 & also bought a 0-1000 PSI gauge with 1/4" threads for about $10.

I removed the hydraulic quick connect fitting from the ram (it was tight!), extended the cylinder & added hydraulic fluid. I got the bubbles out & set the cylinder at about 1/2 extension (1.5" ?) then attached the gauge in place of the fitting. I made sure that the hydraulic fluid was level with the top of the hole when I attached the gauge to avoid adding air. The gauge was tightened until it was face up with the ram upright. A quick test in the vice showed the gauge respond to pressure & return to zero when the pressure was removed.

The gauge readings are a little above the actual weight (5%) but good enough for my purposes. It was simple to use with a jack stand as support. Lowering the hitch with the trailer's screw jack until the jack foot was unloaded (off the ground) I was able to see the empty tongue weights of the small dump trailer (400 x .95 = 380 lb) & the 18' Aluma car hauler (150 x .95 = 142.5 lb).

These are the pieces used (pics are from amazon):

Last edited by nikdfish; 04-01-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikdfish For This Useful Post:

Wj80(04-03-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Theoretically sound. The weight displayed will only be accurate if the piston/bore is exactly 1 square inch in area. If you know what it actually is, it's easy to calculate the actual weight from the PSI reading: PSI/area.

Al
    Robnik likes this.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Nice work!
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    I have wanted an easier way to judge tongue weight (i.e. no bathroom scale & lever), but didn't want to pay for a $140+ scale. I finally put together a "budget" version that should at least get me in the right ballpark when I have concerns using a small hydraulic ram & a pressure gauge.

I had looked at a few hydraulic rams, like those in a porta-power unit & ran across the Strongway hydraulic 2-ton mini ram sold at Northern tools (& Amazon). It is a small unit with a cylinder face area of 0.95 square inches (diameter = 1.10"). It is a bit under 6" tall & 1.5" across. I bought one for about $23 & also bought a 0-1000 PSI gauge with 1/4" threads for about $10.

I removed the hydraulic quick connect fitting from the ram (it was tight!), extended the cylinder & added hydraulic fluid. I got the bubbles out & set the cylinder at about 1/2 extension (1.5" ?) then attached the gauge in place of the fitting. I made sure that the hydraulic fluid was level with the top of the hole when I attached the gauge to avoid adding air. The gauge was tightened until it was face up with the ram upright. A quick test in the vice showed the gauge respond to pressure & return to zero when the pressure was removed.

The gauge readings are a little above the actual weight (5%) but good enough for my purposes. It was simple to use with a jack stand as support. Lowering the hitch with the trailer's screw jack until the jack foot was unloaded (off the ground) I was able to see the empty tongue weights of the small dump trailer (400 x .95 = 380 lb) & the 18' Aluma car hauler (150 x .95 = 142.5 lb).

These are the pieces used (pics are from amazon):

Pretty neat setup. I have always SWAG'd the tongue weight but this can come in pretty handy and the best part is it looked very easy to use.
    Marlin and Robnik like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Another inexpensive way to measure tongue weight is a crane scale ($30-40). Hook one end on your FEL bucket and the other under the trailer tongue. Lift the trailer tongue a couple of inches with the FEL, and read the weight on the scale. Of course you need access to the front of the trailer with your tractor to do this.

A crane scale with your FEL is handy for other things. For example, I've used it to weigh my loaded ballast box.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	ctane.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	587033
    keane likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks
    I needed to get the 3038e back out to the acreage for mowing, so it was a good time to check the tongue weight of it on the aluma car hauler.

I put the tractor in the usual position on the trailer, lifted the rear feet & returned ramps to their storage postion. I then positioned the scale on a jack stand & lowered the jack until the support wheel was free of the ground.

With 480 showing, 0.95x480 = 456 lb. actual tongue weight
    Kennyd, PaDave, RetiredDoc and 1 others like this.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements