Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Suggestion on deck over Gooseneck flatbed Trailers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks

Suggestion on deck over Gooseneck flatbed Trailers

I'm looking at deck over gooseneck flatbeds. My tow vehicle is a 2011 F350 SRW 6.7 with a B&W turnover hitch with AirLift suspension air bags on the rear. I haul hay a few times a year, generally we like the 3x3x8 bales as we can use the JD with Artillian Forks to move the hay.

I was thinking on a 15,000- 18,000-GVW trailer (25- 28 feet long) with a beavertail, single wheels and flip over ramps. Does anyone have experience with flip over ramps? Do you have two or three ramps? and is the pop up center dovetail a good option??

I currently have a PJ 16 foot car hauler ..it works.... but it is not long enough and the fenders are a real pain hauling hay....

Thanks in advance
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I have a 24', 14k Delta trailer. It's 20' flat, 4' dovetail with two flip over ramps. The dovetail is "adjustable", you can lift it up and it locks to give you a full 24' flat. The ramps can stand straight up and be held by the chains that secure them. Overall I've been pretty happy with the trailer. The underside is not painted, only primed and they had the breakaway battery wired up to only charge when you hit the brake pedal. I required it to charge whenever the trailer is connected and don't have any real complaints other than I wish it were a 30' and rated for about 22k.

Sounds like you're looking at about what mine is. If the ramps fold level with the deck and the center of the dovetail pops up even with them as well that would be the same end result as what my trailer does. Might even be better, because your dovetail may be able to be built out of angle iron. Mine is a solid sheet of diamond plate which gets a little slick when it's wet or muddy.
    bhill likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

bhill (11-02-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 20' + 5' PJ gooseneck single wheel, dual axle, with 2 flip-up ramps. I'm really happy with it. What I would do different is I would do a tandem, likely 25'+5', and with a deck over. I have a deck-over on my dump trailer, and love it. Every trailer should have it.

My dump is a Load Trail and it's been really good. It's a tridem, single tire.

When we hauled square bales this fall we just put some plywood across the ramps.

I much prefer the flip over ramps to slide in. I can't comment on a 3rd middle ramp as I've never had one. I've never longed for one, I can tell you that.

Any other Q's, let me know. I've been running my goose since 2007 and love it.

-J.
    bhill likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jer For This Useful Post:

bhill (11-02-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-05-2015 @ 11:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhill View Post
    I'm looking at deck over gooseneck flatbeds. My tow vehicle is a 2011 F350 SRW 6.7 with a B&W turnover hitch with AirLift suspension air bags on the rear. I haul hay a few times a year, generally we like the 3x3x8 bales as we can use the JD with Artillian Forks to move the hay.

I was thinking on a 15,000- 18,000-GVW trailer (25- 28 feet long) with a beavertail, single wheels and flip over ramps. Does anyone have experience with flip over ramps? Do you have two or three ramps? and is the pop up center dovetail a good option??

I currently have a PJ 16 foot car hauler ..it works.... but it is not long enough and the fenders are a real pain hauling hay....

Thanks in advance
    I bought a PJ 16000# GN deck over, single wheel 28' or 23+5 beaver tail with three flip over ramps for moving last year and it worked out well. I like the nice flat rear bed it gives when all the tails are flipped ahead. A friend has a drop down center but I prefer the regular tail as it is easier to load machinery and not miss.
    I aluminum diamond plated the tails for a nice look and something that is easier to walk on. Make sure they are spring assist for ease of operation. But the trailer is loooong. I have to remind myself of that every time I take it out. A tip, make sure the trailer is powder painted. That makes the finish very durable.
    bhill likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deere Dude For This Useful Post:

bhill (11-02-2014)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude View Post
    I bought a PJ 16000# GN deck over, single wheel 28' or 23+5 beaver tail with three flip over ramps for moving last year and it worked out well. I like the nice flat rear bed it gives when all the tails are flipped ahead. A friend has a drop down center but I prefer the regular tail as it is easier to load machinery and not miss.
    I aluminum diamond plated the tails for a nice look and something that is easier to walk on. Make sure they are spring assist for ease of operation. But the trailer is loooong. I have to remind myself of that every time I take it out. A tip, make sure the trailer is powder painted. That makes the finish very durable.
    I'm fairly sure your trailer is the same, as the one that I'm looking at. This trailer is a 2007 year model and they have installed a 12,000 lb winch ( done up right according to the owner) with the battery installed in the front attached tool box.

Are the ramps heavy? I like the idea of aluminum diamond plate on the bottom of the ramps, does it scratch on the ground? What is the weight of the trailer? Do you know the payload?

Thanks
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

11. Top | #6
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks

Suggestion on deck over Gooseneck flatbed Trailers

Mine weighs 5200lbs, so that one will probably be closer to 6500 with the extra length and deck over. My payload is about 11000lbs. I get that number like this:

2 x 7000lb axles = 14000

Truck takes 20% of the load with a GN, so 14000x1.2=16800 Bumper pull would take 5%.

Trailer weighs 5200, so 16800-5200=11600

Is it a tridem or tandem? I would not by a single tandem in that length - not enough payload. I can pretty easily load up the max on mine at only 25'. Try and get a Dually with 10k or 12k axles, or a tridem with 3 x 7k. Tridems chew up your yard when turning, so they're my second choice.

I've dragged the back end of my trailer many times, it happens. With the spring assist to lift them they're very manageable. The diamondplate is a great idea - I'm always worried I'm gonna drop my foot between the slats and break my freakin' tibia.....

Make sure you get a big toolbox. You'll soon have it full of tie-down ratchet straps and chains, and a persuader, and binders......

You're truck can pull a bigger trailer - don't short yourself payload to save a few hundred bucks.

The winch is a nice treat, but only if you think you'll need it. The battery will take up valuable toolbox space. When I asked about one it was gonna be about 1000$ for a winch. What I would consider are motorized jacks, but again, about 1000$ and I need the exercise anyway.....

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jer; 11-02-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    bhill likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

Wish List:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jer For This Useful Post:

bhill (11-02-2014)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Mine weighs 5200lbs, so that one will probably be closer to 6500 with the extra length and deck over. My payload is about 11000lbs. I get that number like this:

2 x 7000lb axles = 14000

Truck takes 20% of the load with a GN, so 14000x1.2=16800 Bumper pull would take 5%.

Trailer weighs 5200, so 16800-5200=11600

Is it a tridem or tandem? I would not by a single tandem in that length - not enough payload. I can pretty easily load up the max on mine at only 25'. Try and get a Dually with 10k or 12k axles, or a tridem with 3 x 7k. Tridems chew up your yard when turning, so they're my second choice.

I've dragged the back end of my trailer many times, it happens. With the spring assist to lift them they're very manageable. The diamondplate is a great idea - I'm always worried I'm gonna drop my foot between the slats and break my freakin' tibia.....

Make sure you get a big toolbox. You'll soon have it full of tie-down ratchet straps and chains, and a persuader, and binders......

You're truck can pull a bigger trailer - don't short yourself payload to save a few hundred bucks.

The winch is a nice treat, but only if you think you'll need it. The battery will take up valuable toolbox space. When I asked about one it was gonna be about 1000$ for a winch. What I would consider are motorized jacks, but again, about 1000$ and I need the exercise anyway.....

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is a single wheel tandem, I believe he said it has a GVW of 15,000. I was concerned of the additional cost of tires with a dual tire tandem..But maybe that isn't such a huge deal?? Perhaps I should reevaluate ???
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

14. Top | #8
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhill View Post
    It is a single wheel tandem, I believe he said it has a GVW of 15,000. I was concerned of the additional cost of tires with a dual tire tandem..But maybe that isn't such a huge deal?? Perhaps I should reevaluate ???
    I would re-evaluate. I do regret not having more capacity, and after 7 years with it the tires are still fine. If you're running it everyday, you'll wear them out, but it sounds like your use is like mine - lumber runs, bales 2x a year, maybe haul a tractor every now and then.

This is a prime example of decide what you want, and go one step up!!! If you're concerned about tire costs, get a tridem. You'll still have the capacity, buuuuuuut you do have another set of brakes and an axle to consider...... what to do, what to do.......???? I'd say do either, just don't do a tandem single!!! You've go the truck, take advantage of it.

-J.
    bhill likes this.

Wish List:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jer For This Useful Post:

bhill (11-03-2014)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Not to start a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate here, what are some notable manufactures of trailers? Anyone heard of Big Bubba or Walton trailers?
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Trailers are somewhat regional. I've heard lots of good things about Big Tex and PJ, I've been pretty happy with my Delta.

I prefer dual tires to three axles, I have to deal with some tight areas and occasionally have two axles scrubbing. With three I'm sure I'd roll a tire off the rim before too long. Another point is that most of the dual wheel axles are set up with oil bath bearings instead of grease so it's one less thing to have to do. Just keep an eye on the oil level and watch for leaks.
    bhill likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

bhill (11-04-2014)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast