Thread: Truck Frame Replacement

1. Top | #1
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts

Truck Frame Replacement

I have 2006 Tundra 4x4, TRD with 89000 miles on it. The timing belt has just been replaced. Muffler has recently been replaced also.
    Picture taken in March, 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toyota Truck_1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	34878

Toyota has elected to replace the frame in the truck at no cost to me. Only the costs associated with the frame replacement are being paid for by Toyota. In as much as everything is off the frame anything I want replace before it goes back on will be paid for by me, no labor will be charged (so they say).

I’ve looked under the truck, my list so far is…
    Replace Shocks, really look bad but still seem fine
    Replace Front Off Road belly pan, rusted out pretty bad

Notes:
    Brake lines look fine
    The rear axle weld on cover looks really bad, major concern here

Questions:
    Do I have the work done and keep the truck or sell/trade it?
    What else should I look to replace?
    How far do I go with replacement parts and cost to me? Thinking if a control arm, ball joints…etc should be replaced while it’s off?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    A frame replacement means COMPLETELY rebuilding your entire vehicle. I'm surprised they didn't just buy it back.

Being a Ford guy.....I'm clearly biased, but having to totally rebuild the entire truck in only 8 years service and <100K miles is really bad.

I wouldn't put a penny more than necessary into it and would get rid of it. (BTW....That new aluminum F-150 coming out is REALLY nice.)
    Last edited by sstlaure; 11-04-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Levi, xhere and Yamaguy like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    A frame replacement means COMPLETELY rebuilding your entire vehicle. I'm surprised they didn't just buy it back.

Being a Ford guy.....I'm clearly biased, but having to totally rebuild the entire truck in only 8 years service and <100K miles is really bad.
    I already knew all that!
    Yeah I'm SCREWED....I think.
    It all looks good on paper but the reality has now set in.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Dad had a Tundra, maybe 2001. They wanted to do a frame on it too, same deal. The dealership changed their story once they got ahold of the truck. They did want to replace fuel tank support straps, maybe some other items, but it became clear that the free job was going to cost us a good bit of money. Ended up we took the truck out of there with no work done, because they changed the story and couldnt give us a price for what they proposed.

After we pulled the truck the dealership had the audacity to bill him for the "free loaner truck" which had previously been described to us as free.

This was 3-4 years ago, sorry I dont recall any more details at this moment.

Too bad it wasnt the smaller model Toyota truck. My buddy had one he bought new. I am told they could not source a frame for that model, so at 12 years, 1/4Million miles, Toyota bought it back, paid him $10,200 for his old truck. No such offer on Tundra's though. My buddy bought a new one, he loves it.
    Last edited by Bigger-digger 2320; 11-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,439 Posts
    I am an admitted old fart and would walk before driving a Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc. and it doesn't seem like a truck that new should need a new frame. However, I think the fact that Toyota is willing to replace the frames on affected vehicles says a lot for their customer service. A complete frame replacement is an expensive repair. I don't know that all manufacturers would go to that length without many lawsuits.

To answer Gizmo's concern, regardless of what I planned to do with the truck eventually, I would at least have the frame replaced. The new frame should have bearing on the value of the truck whether it is traded, sold or kept for another 100,000 miles.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

bearfoot (11-06-2014)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Definitely let THEM pay for the frame rebuild. But - If the frame is that rusty I bet they break a TON of stuff during disassembly (rusted/seized) and have to replace it anyway (assuming they do properly repair anything they mess up.) Make sure they give you some kind of warranty on the work they do to ensure you don't have any short-term issues BECAUSE of stuff THEY broke/mis-assembled during this "repair".

I'd then dump that sucker like a hot turd.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    To keep or sell is the first question to answer, because if I planned to keep it I would do all the body mounts, fuel tank straps, suspension bushings, etc. If you want to get rid of it then I would have the frame done and the absolute minimum to go along with it because a prospective buyer probably won't notice the new parts unless the existing ones are completely worn.

If you're considering trading it in, kick around some offers before you have the frame done and let a dealership deal with that process.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

bearfoot (11-06-2014)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    Before you make a decision, I would ask them if they could put it up on the lift and you could go over a visual inspection (at their expense, of course) of questionable parts. Take pictures. Insist on being present during the inspection and a complete writeup of the cost estimate to you.
    Then, you can make the decision whether to proceed with the work or not. Unforeseeable problems could pop up, but at least you would have proof if they try to slip something in on you.

JMO. Only worth .02 cents.
    Gizmo2, rgd, farmgirl19 and 2 others like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I have 2006 Tundra 4x4, TRD with 89000 miles on it. The timing belt has just been replaced. Muffler has recently been replaced also.
    Picture taken in March, 2014

Toyota has elected to replace the frame in the truck at no cost to me. Only the costs associated with the frame replacement are being paid for by Toyota. In as much as everything is off the frame anything I want replace before it goes back on will be paid for by me, no labor will be charged (so they say).

I’ve looked under the truck, my list so far is…
    Replace Shocks, really look bad but still seem fine
    Replace Front Off Road belly pan, rusted out pretty bad

Notes:
    Brake lines look fine
    The rear axle weld on cover looks really bad, major concern here

Questions:
    Do I have the work done and keep the truck or sell/trade it?
    What else should I look to replace?
    How far do I go with replacement parts and cost to me? Thinking if a control arm, ball joints…etc should be replaced while it’s off?
    This has been a huge & expensive problem for Toyota with Tacoma and Tundra pick-ups due to premature rust-out of the frames. It's due to the bad frame material, poor corrosion resistant properties and inadequate corrosion resistance coating. Big money maker for the dealers and techs though. They get paid a flat rate, ~ 40-60 hours and knock them out in a couple of days. The problem is many of these young techs are more interested in "beating the clock" instead of doing quality work. Plastic clips will get broken and not replaced. Self-tapping bolts will be stripped-out and everything in the vehicle will get disturbed. On the surface it sounds like great support and a good gesture from Toyota but from a technical, quality standpoint the result may not pretty. If you're fussy you probably won't want to keep it after the repair.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 11-04-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    This has been a huge & expensive problem for Toyota with Tacoma and Tundra pick-ups due to premature rust-out of the frames. It's due to the bad frame material, poor corrosion resistant properties and inadequate corrosion resistance coating. Big money maker for the dealers and techs though. They get paid a flat rate, ~ 40-60 hours and knock them out in a couple of days. The problem is many of these young techs are more interested in "beating the clock" instead of doing quality work. Plastic clips will get broken and not replaced. Self-tapping bolts will be stripped-out and everything in the vehicle will get disturbed. On the surface it sounds like great support and a good gesture from Toyota but from a technical, quality standpoint the result may not pretty. If you're fussy you probably won't want to keep it after the repair.
    I can speak from first hand knowledge on this one... I know a service manager of a large Toyota dealership (40 techs working under her) and they had truck frames delivered by the 18 wheeler load weekly, as they had a small team that was dedicated to nothing by frame replacements, knocking out a truck in one day and they were NOT particularly careful. The guys essentially had competitions and would time the crews... Nothing was torqued with a torque wrench and attention to detail was not a priority, as they had a lot of customers to attempt to satisfy. I would quickly dump one of these trucks after the frame replacement no matter how emotionally attached I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, Zebrafive, Levi and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

15. Remove Advertisements