Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Trailer modifications for tractor stuffs

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Trailer modifications for tractor stuffs

After 3 years, I'm finally the owner of a trailer capable of handling my tractor.

Now the question is how to best secure everything?

When I hauled the tractor home on the skidsteer trailer, there wasn't enough room for the bucket and I had to "collapse" things down a bit to get the weight right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02324.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	591314

Using chain binders, things moved enough that I probably wrecked at least one chain from rubbing on the bucket after 420 miles (it just wouldn't stay tight enough).

So now I'm using my own equipment and I'm contemplating how I should lash things down. I like nylon straps and ratchets because they're easier on paint, lighter, and tend to be easier in general. Chains seem more durable over all.

Here's the trailer I got (mine's a lot rustier):

Name:	T-12DT_01.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	591330

And here she is as of 10 mins ago (yes, it's snowing ) :

Name:	20180414_153633-1[1].jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	591338

The "posts" sticking up mid-deck are where the tilt deck latches are. This is a 1999 trailer and they've changed things since it was built. There's a steel diamond tread plate in front of that (which is Swiss cheesed from rust and needs replacing) with 4 D-rings on the frame rails (frame is SOLID and only has minor surface rust anywhere) beside it, and then there's a storage cubby in front of that (which is also in need of new sheet metal). I got a bag of new LED lights and reflectors, and a pair of new fenders with it. The trailer was inspected in July of last year, when it had new brakes put in. Tires are in good shape, but I didn't look at the Mfg dates. New brake battery as well (brakes were tested and work great). Not too shabby for $2600.
    Bubber, BigJim55, Imaybail and 7 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    I like straps and chains, so I use straps with chain ends.

Name:	hoWFKucLKzsZbrdC7OPbplVEAD5-DllfylHJnmNlO37di9-UTfvlCw9SEMhpWHOiYO8Qi8J9lGHI6n6aTHBvihuej568Oe4M.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	591362

To me they are the best of both worlds.
    Levi, BigJim55, flyweight and 8 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    I was wondering where all the snow was in that first photo of the trailer. We had thundersnow a few minutes ago. Don't get that everyday.

How often do you bring your tractor home?

If once/twice a year then maybe straps would be fine. If more often, I would do what all the commercial guys do. I can't think of any that use straps. Everyone uses chains and binders that I know. They are moving stuff about every day though.

Is the storage big enough for the chains and binders? Since it needs to be reworked maybe go bigger.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Bringing it home isn't the issue. I plan on doing for-hire work with it, so it should be in use a few times a month (I don't want to do it full time).
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I like straps and chains, so I use straps with chain ends.

Name:	hoWFKucLKzsZbrdC7OPbplVEAD5-DllfylHJnmNlO37di9-UTfvlCw9SEMhpWHOiYO8Qi8J9lGHI6n6aTHBvihuej568Oe4M.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	591362

To me they are the best of both worlds.
    That's what i use. 4 inch straps with what i think is 3/8 chain on both ends.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ordered up 5 ratcheting chain binders, a Tekonsha P3, and the adapter today. Then heard a policeman knock at the door...

I guess a neighbor complained about my trailer on the street, and the officer was nice enough to allow me to move it rather than citing me (they're out plowing, so it shouldn't be parked there).

So I brought it up North rather than fighting to maybe get it into the driveway.

Name:	20180415_195437.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	592490

She tows really nice!
    glc, Levi, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    This is what I use. 3/8 inch chains on each end which helps prevent wear and tear on the strapping. When I bought mine, they had 10ft lengths available, but do not show that length now. I only needed 10ft lengths as I use one at each corner of the tractor. I have 2 inch 30ft long strapping for other things like over the bucket or any other attachments loaded at the time. WLL is 5400# each, so with 4 of them, I am at 21,600# total. WLL is the important figure to be aware of. Mine were $48.00 for 10ft, so the 20ft is very little more. I ordered yellow as I felt that this was the best color. These things are heavy!!!!

Dave

https://www.shipperssupplies.com/4-c...p-w-chain-hook

Name:	strapping.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	592506
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm either going with 3/8 or 1/2" G70 on the back, and 3/8" on the front with different chains on each corner for insurance.

My tractor's a lot heavier than most of yours. I don't want it visiting me in the cab.
    johnH123 and PJR832 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:07 AM
    Thanks
    In NY I have been told that you must use NY DOT approved chains only to tie down my tractor. I went and looked at the laws and that's not correct, but it was a NY state policeman that told me that. Now ny and most states have adapted the new Federal guidelines, so I went and started looking again, now I'm really confused again. here is one simple link that tells very little to help you.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...s-light-trucks

for heavy vehicles even less

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...cles-equipment

and because you said you will be doing it for hire, you get a whole different set of rules that are even more restricted. What I ended up doing is getting Agricultural commercial plates, this exempted me from most regulations. but here is the link to all the regulations.

I have asked the DOT in NY for clarification, and they won't give me anything in writing

one thing that is pretty clear, if you are hired out, and the combined vehicle weight(potential) I say potential because you don't have to be loaded, is more than 10,000 lb for a truck and trailer and don't have agricultural plates, you get into all kinds of regulations. Yet I can haul my camping trailer that weighs far more with no retrictions.
    BigJim55 and goat704! like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    In NY I have been told that you must use NY DOT approved chains only to tie down my tractor. I went and looked at the laws and that's not correct, but it was a NY state policeman that told me that. Now ny and most states have adapted the new Federal guidelines, so I went and started looking again, now I'm really confused again. here is one simple link that tells very little to help you.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...s-light-trucks

for heavy vehicles even less

and because you said you will be doing it for hire, you get a whole different set of rules that are even more restricted. What I ended up doing is getting Agricultural commercial plates, this exempted me from most regulations. but here is the link to all the regulations.

I have asked the DOT in NY for clarification, and they won't give me anything in writing

one thing that is pretty clear, if you are hired out, and the combined vehicle weight(potential) I say potential because you don't have to be loaded, is more than 10,000 lb for a truck and trailer and don't have agricultural plates, you get into all kinds of regulations. Yet I can haul my camping trailer that weighs far more with no retrictions.
    Just to add to the confusion....

I spent a day of training with our DOT "creeper cops" a few years back. It was very informative.

One thing that applies here with chains - if you can't read the rating on a chain it is considered the lowest rating available for said size chain.

It kind of makes sense in their perspective - but the markings on a chain used a lot will be gone fairly quickly. So if you buy new chain, find the rating markings, and try to protect it from being rubbed off. Of course the same holds true for straps - make sure those tags stay intact and readable.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast