• 2 Post By johnH123
  • 2 Post By 69project

Thread: fixing body rot on older trucks

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks

fixing body rot on older trucks

so, we picked up a 2000 F150 for general farm use a few weeks ago. someone replaced the hood and doors and painted them to match, and the fenders and cab corners aren't horrible.. but the rockers are pretty well rotted. it seems like for this generation, the foot steps connected to a panel on the backside of the rocker, and there was a large set of holes there to attach them via. well, the seam between the rocker and that section is rotted out, and the steps have significant droop. the cab on the driver's side also feels slightly soft going up from the rocker into the cab, under the plastic trim. I can't seem to find replacement panels outside of the very basic rocker section, though, and i'm getting worried that the fix for the rot may be more expensive, because these panels may need to be custom fabricated. does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    You need to come to Virginia, and buy a replacement truck, then use your truck for driveline replacement parts.

trucks that vintage sell so cheap, the restore effort is not worthwhile,,,

I looked at them 3-4 months ago,, $2,500-$3,500 bought a nice body truck,,,
    I have no idea what the driveline was like, I did not drive them,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    Have checked out LMC Truck? Ford Truck Parts and Truck Accessories from LMCTruck.com They tend to be the go to folks for body panels for trucks. Not always the cheapest but at least they have it. I did a quick scan of the website and it shows rocker panels for 2000 Ford trucks.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

That is Quite a Site

WOW That must be a very large place! Nice info and site!
    Leo
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    Whoever said that Fords don't rust had no idea what they were talking about.
    BigJim55 and 69project like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Whoever said that Fords don't rust had no idea what they were talking about.
    Seems like all the trucks from the big three had corrosion issues from trucks made in the early 2000's. I would have figured that problem would have been solved by now. I have been looking for a truck for my son for his first vehicle and it seems a lot of trucks made from the late 1990's through even as new as 2010 have some sort of corrosion issue and I am in North Carolina. I can only imagine what they must look like in the rust belt states. I guess the OEM's only design that sheet metal to last 6 years so it clears the corrosion warranty....
    BigJim55 and Jim Timber like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Really depends how much exposure you have to the chemical cocktail they're using on the roads these days.

At some point in the last 15 years, the MnDOT switched from solid salts (sodium and magnesium chloride) and sand to liquid solutions and then added calcium chloride into the mix because of it's lower freezing point (gotta treat black ice somehow, right?). Well, here we are, suffering the consequences of the corrosives dumped on the roads to keep us safer.

I can only imagine other states have followed suit due to the smaller storage requirements of a strictly liquid de-icer, and the lack of clean-up needed come Spring from not dumping millions of tons of sand on the roads.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements