Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Blue Oval Syndrome - or why I have no money

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Blue Oval Syndrome - or why I have no money

I've been a GM guy most of my life, but the '01 F350 SD isn't my first, or second Ford for that matter. I used to joke the problem with Fords was they tended to break out in blue ovals and then everything turned to crap - joked and said it was "blue oval syndrome". And of course my Ford fanatic friends would all make contorted faces and sneer at me for that joke.

This week, the syndrome showed up full force.

I got the Towmaster 14K trailer last week, drove it up to the woods in a blizzard and all was dandy. Ordered up a brake controller and harness, then looked up the DMV laws about towing heavy trailers - don't need a CDL unless the combined weight is over 26,001#. We're good right? No.

My trailer hitch on the truck is rated for 12,5K with weight distribution, but only 6,000# without. Ok, need a weight distributing hitch and be mindful not to load up to the trailer's max. Wrong! DOT says tow vehicle has to be capable of pulling the load per the door tag. My door tag says 10K trailer weight, but I can put 4,5K on the truck and we're golden (10K truck, 10K trailer = 20K GCWR and all is groovy!). Well, that's too much tongue weight for my hitch. Need a new hitch. Ok...

So I order a new Curt superfabulous Commercial grade Class 5 20Klb hitch (now hitch is rated more than tow vehicle can pull). $300 just Poofed, but we're legal and all is well. Then I noticed my combination pintle/ball draw bar is only 6T. Crap!

Ordered a 10T pintle/ball drawbar for $65 (open box from Amazon, saved $20! Cool...), and while I was at it, I got a lunette ring for the trailer since the 2-5/16" coupler needs the precision of a brain surgeon to close the side-latch design. Another $40... Ugg. Oh well, it'll be much easier on me going forward.

Chain binders and chain for the tractor. Another $300 POOF! Ouch.

Got a Tekonsha P3 controller sine the P.O. took their controller with them. Another $150 POOF!

Drove home from the cabin and have this grinding noise when I'm almost stopped. Rear brake wore out the pads (I think dealer I got it from must've put a new rotor and pads on the right side but not the left, since those were practically new) and my left rotor is shot. Grrr!!!! $300 later...

I'm about to put the new rotor on and I notice a broken leaf in the rear pack on the left side. Truck has 270K on it, so it's not all that surprising (front brakes were also done this winter), and the roads up by the woods are REALLY BAD in the winter, so it's like Baja Racing. Well, Husky Spring is local to me, how bad could new Boingers be for the old gal? Oh, they won't compete with their retailers since O'Reilly's is a dealer (have to special order them) so buying direct is more expensive than buying from a dealer - I get it, I do. O'Reilly's has an extra $100 mark-up over Rock Auto and charges sales tax, but Rock Auto only charges $50 shipping. I order springs. $420 later OUCH!

The only saving grace in all of this is that I'll have peace of mind when it's said and done, and it is cheaper than the hit I'd probably take from a claim against losing the tractor at highway speeds.

My UPS guy is going to deserve a beer by Wednesday. The chain binders showed up yesterday, and the pintle hitch is supposedly being delivered tomorrow, but I kinda doubt it. My truck hitch comes Tuesday.

I've already started hitting all the bolts and nuts with Break-free.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Still better than a monthly payment on a new one. At least I keep telling myself that.....
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I can't afford a new car payment either. This week's vehicle expenses wouldn't cover 3 months of a new ride, or the insurance on one for that matter. My truck insurance is $260/6mo's for $500 deductible on collision, $250 comp, and free glass.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    I tell you, it's really not that easy of a thing to plan for trailer pulling. It takes careful consideration and it seems many large looking pickup trucks turn out to have relatively low capabilities if you don't pay attention when you buy new or used.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    NO NO NO !!!!!! ford's out sell anyone that makes them the greatest
    kinda like Mcdolnalds hamburgers must be the best because they sell the most of them
    mjncad, etcallhome, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    jd cs40 chainsaw (efco 940)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 89420 View Post
    NO NO NO !!!!!! ford's out sell anyone that makes them the greatest
    kinda like Mcdolnalds hamburgers must be the best because they sell the most of them
    You couldn't give me a Dodge at this point in my life. My truck has the cancer in the bed, and it still has less missing material than the 5-year newer Chrysler Town and Country we have despite weekly washings to remove the salts and any dirt from the van since new.

The issue here is two-fold. The first is that I'm hauling a trailer which is at maximum weight for the chassis. Second is that I encountered two expensive (to me) wear items at the same time in conjunction with discovering that my gooseneck-hitch equipped truck was not outfitted with a bumper-pull hitch capable of the max loads I intended to haul with it. This ended up making for a very expensive week, it's not that the truck is bad. It's actually a pretty awesome truck!

Ford's front axle is the better between them and GM (no clue what Ram is using as I won't own one again ) in the 3/4 and 1T trucks. I would've gone for a Chevy or GMC had I not needed to fabricate a solid front axle to their chassis to get one (the half-shafts and differential are the same in the HD's as the 1T, and that's just not acceptable). The Duramax also has far too high of resale value around here to be considered affordable and my 7.3L is a BEAST of an engine.
    mjncad, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    7.3 beast of an engine. some think that.. they can get the job done. try to go above stock power and they will not last. 250hp and 500lbs of twist is plenty for a class 3 truck. them 7.3's sure need to be plugged in and suffer from oil quality and leaks (94+) with their HEUI injection

but even bill at powerstrokehelp who does nothing but powerstrokes states 7.3's are not worth putting money into and he wont work on them anymore

7.3 in my opinion 7.3's most over rated diesel engine ever. yes i worked on them and have driven them. keep them stock you may get 300k without major repairs.

but im if you like yours great. i have seen every make of truck rusted out. did you see my pick of my 06 dodge i just posted. which spent its entire life in stl no rust
    is that normal no

i used to drive all types of class 5-8 trucks and zero of them had a powerstroke/duramax of any kind in them.

no hard feelings just when i hear someone say i will never own a blank because of rust or propaganda i laugh

and fords ttb front end is a great money maker if you are a mechanic btw

their solid front axle's suffer from the same ball joint wear as dodge.. gm suffer very little with their ifs front end.. most people bad mouth that setup because its very expensive to lift a gm ifs front end correctly.

why is there a huge aftermarket for putting a 5.9 cummins into a ford or gm for that ,matter.. dodge chassie sucks mine is proof that it dont.. i have scale tickets totaling 25k pounds on my 2500 with no weight distribution bars. no broken leaf springs for me.. with a class 5 receiver hitch

also when towing that much with ur truck keep an eye on that bed to cab clearance..

i am not brand loyal to any make of anything did cummins make some turds in their 100+ yrs of diesel engine making? sure but not many.. as well as john deere ect
    Last edited by 89420; 04-21-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    mjncad and rtgt like this.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Missouri vs Minnesota is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? We had 12" of snow last week and we use more chemicals than the Rolling Stones ever did on them.

Keep driving your vulva looking nosed ugly trucks and I'll keep staying away from them. ;)
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    Missouri vs Minnesota is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? We had 12" of snow last week and we use more chemicals than the Rolling Stones ever did on them.

Keep driving your vulva looking nosed ugly trucks and I'll keep staying away from them. ;)
    of course it seams u have never been to stl.. they dump millions of pounds of rock salt on the roads when temps are 40f i have been all the way up to international falls MN + quebec canada. (im sure you drove that truck all the way to santa's house and back) i did not plug my truck in -35f night time temps and when i got up my VULVA looking truck lit right off just one cycle of the grid heater. as far as design hmmmmm lots of similarities between dodge ram 94 + and the furd.... you was probably way to into ur truck to notice.

keep driving it im sure you have the four post lift to pull the cab off when that awesome 7.3 needs something. most people dont
    your truck simply dosent make enough power to hurt anything so your good there

facts.. im sorry you got butt hurt on the facts but u started it lol

i will let you have the final word............................
    Last edited by 89420; 04-22-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    mjncad and rtgt like this.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Rock salt. LOL That's cute. We use calcium chloride (that stuff that rusts tractor wheels out all the time ) and keep applying it all the way down to -20F...

You've been to MN. That's funny too. I've been to St Louis, and further South a few times. I live in MN year round!

Last word eh? You posted in this thread to try to brag up your truck. Nobody asked you about your ugly dodge or how much power it makes or how much you can tow with it. I have a 1975 C65 Chevy that has a measly 366ci gasser that would out haul your Ram on it's bare chassis (rated for 31,5K, single axle), but that's not the point of this thread.
    rtgt and OxPath like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast