• 3 Post By Fozsey
  • 2 Post By sennister

Thread: Video on Towing, Payload & What The Numbers Mean

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

Video on Towing, Payload & What The Numbers Mean

There have been quite a few posts lately on weights of trailers vs trucks and what all this means. I have been chiming in on some of these posts with info from my experience with this from the camping side. While this is a tractor forum, some people move their tractors around and for the most part it doesn't matter if it is a utility trailer or a camper, it isn't really much different. A camper is just a little more sensitive to wind so we will run a little more tongue weight, closer to the 15% of trailer weight since we can't adjust weight forward back as easy as it would be for a tractor on a utility trailer.

I was on Youtube last night and happened to see a video from a family that I had been following that had a video on this topic. They are a family of 5 that home (camper) school their kids, live full time in the RV traveling all over the US. I hadn't really watched much of their stuff lately but this video is pretty well put together covering what all the weights are, where to find them, what they mean and he has a link to an Excel spreadsheet in the description that will do the calculations for you.

He also mentions that you can do what you want but explains what will most likely happen if you have to go through a weigh station while on the road and what they will look at. Then goes over a few scenarios with what the numbers mean with his truck and camper as well as what happens to those numbers when going from a 3/4 ton to 1 Ton SRW to 1 Ton DRW and gets into 5th wheel campers a bit.

I will say that when they first started out they had way more camper than truck. Not sure when they moved up to the 3/4 ton but I want to say they had a 1/2 way over loaded at first. So they must have figured this out on the way somewhere.

It is kind of a long video but if you are trailering stuff and don't understand these numbers it is a pretty good investment of 15 minutes of your time. There are a couple things I would have changed but overall I would rate it at 95%. He does mention to visit their blog for any corrections to the video because he admits he might make a mistake or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

Not trying to be the trailer cop around here but if this information can help someone understand the numbers it makes everyone more safe. I don't want to be on the road next to someone who ignores this stuff. I also don't agree with the marketing practices of the manufacturers out there that only talk about towing capacity because that only applies under certain cases and people will assume they are just fine when they are way over limits.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sennister; 04-28-2018 at 07:45 AM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    There have been quite a few posts lately on weights of trailers vs trucks and what all this means. I have been chiming in on some of these posts with info from my experience with this from the camping side. While this is a tractor forum, some people move their tractors around and for the most part it doesn't matter if it is a utility trailer or a camper, it isn't really much different. A camper is just a little more sensitive to wind so we will run a little more tongue weight, closer to the 15% of trailer weight since we can't adjust weight forward back as easy as it would be for a tractor on a utility trailer.

I was on Youtube last night and happened to see a video from a family that I had been following that had a video on this topic. They are a family of 5 that home (camper) school their kids, live full time in the RV traveling all over the US. I hadn't really watched much of their stuff lately but this video is pretty well put together covering what all the weights are, where to find them, what they mean and he has a link to an Excel spreadsheet in the description that will do the calculations for you.

He also mentions that you can do what you want but explains what will most likely happen if you have to go through a weigh station while on the road and what they will look at. Then goes over a few scenarios with what the numbers mean with his truck and camper as well as what happens to those numbers when going from a 3/4 ton to 1 Ton SRW to 1 Ton DRW and gets into 5th wheel campers a bit.

I will say that when they first started out they had way more camper than truck. Not sure when they moved up to the 3/4 ton but I want to say they had a 1/2 way over loaded at first. So they must have figured this out on the way somewhere.

It is kind of a long video but if you are trailering stuff and don't understand these numbers it is a pretty good investment of 15 minutes of your time. There are a couple things I would have changed but overall I would rate it at 95%. He does mention to visit their blog for any corrections to the video because he admits he might make a mistake or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

Not trying to be the trailer cop around here but if this information can help someone understand the numbers it makes everyone more safe. I don't want to be on the road next to someone who ignores this stuff. I also don't agree with the marketing practices of the manufacturers out there that only talk about towing capacity because that only applies under certain cases and people will assume they are just fine when they are way over limits.

Hope this helps.
    I routinely see that exact setup pulling 40' toy haulers. I'm not saying its right but there are ALOT of F250 6.7 SRW trucks that exceed the stickers every day.
    Jim Timber, sennister and Robnik like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozsey View Post
    I routinely see that exact setup pulling 40' toy haulers. I'm not saying its right but there are ALOT of F250 6.7 SRW trucks that exceed the stickers every day.
    Keep in mind the 40' toy haulers are probably 5th wheels. Not saying it eliminates the issues of being over weight but it helps with the hitch capacity issues that most trucks have compared to a bumper pull style camper.

While we have a camper and pull it quite a bit, we don't have a 5th wheel and I don't know the numbers as well with that type of trailer. In the video he did kind of mention 5th wheels but I don't know how accurate it is in that respect. I have driven a truck pulling a 5th wheel but it was my In-laws 1 ton DRW pulling their 42' Heartland. Now they used to pull it with a 3/4 ton but I never looked at the weights so not sure if they were over or not.

I basically thought this was a pretty well put together video and the spreadsheet is kind of nice. Since this topic seems to be popping up a bit lately I thought it might help some people.
    Last edited by sennister; 04-28-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Jim Timber and Robnik like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Keep in mind the 40' toy haulers are probably 5th wheels. Not saying it eliminates the issues of being over weight but it helps with the hitch capacity issues that most trucks have compared to a bumper pull style camper.

While we have a camper and pull it quite a bit, we don't have a 5th wheel and I don't know the numbers as well with that type of trailer. In the video he did kind of mention 5th wheels but I don't know how accurate it is in that respect. I have driven a truck pulling a 5th wheel but it was my In-laws 1 ton DRW pulling their 42' Heartland. Now they used to pull it with a 3/4 ton but I never looked at the weights so not sure if they were over or not.

I basically thought this was a pretty well put together video and the spreadsheet is kind of nice. Since this topic seems to be popping up a bit lately I thought it might help some people.
    I agree. It was well put together and informative for noobs as well as seasoned RVers. Most guys buy that F250 and figure they can tow anything short of a OTR reefer when they see that 26,000 tow capacity. When you start seeing >1500# tongue weights, things are always going to start getting dicey. I was actually surprised to see his numbers and went out to check my sticker. Technically, I couldn't pull his trailer either which left me scratching my head because that 6.7 will pull that 10,000# bumper pull all day long and twice on Sunday.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. This was useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements