• 3 Post By Robnik
  • 4 Post By TruckFarmer55

Thread: Home made trailer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Home made trailer

I found a trailer up for sale that has a new deck, new lights, ok 2x4 sides. New fenders and ramps as well. It does have a title. My only hang up is the axles. It had mobile home axles. I've heard that that ok and that it's not ok. Dayton rims. We have a semi at work that has Dayton rims we couldn't afford to switch yet. It sounds like if something happens to the hub or brakes or rim and tire you need to just change it all to standard trailer setup. Which if I'm right that means new axles, brakes, hubs and tires and rims, correct? The trailer is heavy and well built. I know the guy that built it personally. It has a 12' deck but is 20' from hitch to tail. Tandem axle. For $900 is it a good buy or steer clear? It had no current problems and I believe the owner replaced wheel bearing last summer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Whether to steer clear depends on you. Mobile (official term: "manufactured") homes have been around for a long time. For a good part of their history the axles were only meant for a single use - transport from the factory to the customer. I gather they are reusable now and are not part of the sale. From what I know, the older ones had odd sized tires and it was often impossible to do simple brake repairs because they weren't designed to ever be repaired.

If you're going to use it a couple times a year locally, then it probably doesn't matter much. My boat trailer is 20 years old and still has the original tires and brakes. It's driven 100 miles a year and that is it.

I wonder what use a 12' trailer is with dual axles? What are you going to tow that is so heavy and short?

Al
    OxPath, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    The thing I remember I think is the tires have printed on them "Only Mobile Home Use"? Or something like that which may cause a DOT problem or liability issues if you have a blow out or lose a tire on a highway???

I did some checking on line it seems the tires are the problem if they say "For Mobile Homes Only' The other thing is the 14.5 tires are expensive to buy the right ones they make to replace the others for trailers. Have a look at the side wall and read what is printed on them.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 04-29-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    OxPath, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    If it has MH tires on the trailer, they state "for mobile home use only",,, so ,
    depending on how local police "look" at you,, the tires may be illegal.

That said, I do use a MH axle under my fuel trailer.

I found that the clinch bolts can easily permanently deform a spot on the rim.

I have a one use axle, and one use tires., I was careful to put one tire back on exactly as removed.
    If you put the wheels on in a different rotation than original, the wheel will wobble, sometimes,,
    other times, a new location will roll more true.
    That is why you see so many MH's with wobbling wheels.

Then, there are the springs, most are a uni-spring,,,,
    designed to hold up a house without sagging,,,
    NOT designed to absorb shocks,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. Mainly would be used for lumber, wood, seed totes occasionally pick up a small implement I may purchase. And I prefer tandem axle trailers because of how they track.

So in order to replace the problematic tires and rims you have to replace the hubs and axles as well?
    Last edited by TruckFarmer55; 04-29-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    You might want to check with a mobile home outfit to see what they say about axle/tire maintenance. Or maybe they have some spares laying around that you might pick up cheap. That could help your decision.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    Ok. Mainly would be used for lumber, wood, seed totes occasionally pick up a small implement I may purchase. And I prefer tandem axle trailers because of how they track.

So in order to replace the problematic tires and rims you have to replace the hubs and axles as well?
    Go on line and search Mobile Home Tire replacements and new hub. They have kits to change them out that are sold. I paid $1,800.00 for my Brand New 16 ft bed Car Hauler rated at 8,000 lbs. Texas, Alabama and a few more states build tons of them way cheaper then the Marked up one delivered to Trailer Places to sell. Add up what it takes to fix the trailer before you buy a used one over a new one you know how has been treated going 70 MPH with your tractor on it down the road. I am just picky I guess? I welded up a Trailer with Mobile Axles and man it bounced all over the road on bumps empty and sold it. No flex to the springs at all. You may be able to change the springs out too?

There out there; https://sleequipment.com/utility-tra...0aAodUEALw_wcB
    Last edited by JD4044M; 04-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    OxPath and Robnik like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post

here in Pa. where i live no one will inspect a homemade trailer with MH axle's.

if u like the trailer a lot, and can get him to come down some more, go to a trailer MFTY(manufacturing) place and see if u can buy a set of new axle's. boy bought a brand axle the other winter for the trailer he rebuilt for a fella, and i was surprised all he had to pay for one, brakes and all, even had tires on it. so that is one route u could look into.

up here i wouldn't want to be in a accident and some one get killed with a set of mobile home axles under my trailer. just my 2 cts. good luck.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    If you do stick with those axles and buy new tires (14.5) make sure you buy new wheels also. The aftermarket tires that size will split those cheap mobile home wheels in half.
    eyeboltman, JD4044M and Toughsox like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've decided to just save my money and work toward a new trailer. Might need another write off for the farm anyway. Thank you for all the information. I just decided it wasn't worth the risks and would cost about the same to just get a new one.
    Kennyd, Jim Timber, Robnik and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements