Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Best way to stabilize/secure tractor on trailer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-18-2017 @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks

Best way to stabilize/secure tractor on trailer

Hi,

I was wondering how you stabilize the tractor on a trailer?
    Which way is the best way?

Straps around the wheels?
    Straps attached to the frame?
    Chains?

I'll have to move my 1025r from the house to the cottage at least a 1000000 times during the summer.

I purchased a flatbed trailer for that task, but I was wondering how you guys do that?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    This was recently talked about with a lot of good input. I cant find the recent thread...but heres a good one fromawhile back

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...n-binders.html
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    I chain to the frame. I prefer to have chains come down at a 45 degree angle, use ratchet type load binders. I cant recall what size chain. Pull forward and back, left to right and vice versa. Prefer, but dont always do. Also, I am told US DOT requires a strap over the FEL arms or bucket. Check the laws in Canada.

Edit: make sure it is always tongue heavy, as in, enough weight towards front of trailer. If it gets too light, it can be very difficult or impossible to steer at higher speeds. Dont ask how I know.
    Last edited by Bigger-digger 2320; 12-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    etcallhome, Daveb and Jim Timber like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    rgd
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigger-digger 2320 View Post
    I chain to the frame. I prefer to have chains come down at a 45 degree angle, use ratchet type load binders. I cant recall what size chain. Pull forward and back, left to right and vice versa. Prefer, but dont always do. Also, I am told US DOT requires a strap over the FEL arms or bucket. Check the laws in Canada.

Edit: make sure it is always tongue heavy, as in, enough weight towards front of trailer. If it gets too light, it can be very difficult or impossible to steer at higher speeds. Dont ask how I know.
    I've been pulling trailers for 35+ yrs. With that being said....you'd think I would have it down by now. I first learned about the tail wagging the dog when I was about 20 yrs old.(small trailer with long lumber hanging way out the back) I have always made sure that I didn't encounter that again. Well...it happened to me about a month ago ,again. But this time I had my tractor and some implements on the trailer. (2520 with backhoe and loaded tires) When leaving the deer lease I thought something didn't feel quite right...but I was tired and lazy. It drove Ok on the farm roads . But when I got it onto a faster road above 60 was when all he'' broke loose. I almost took out another car in the other lane as that 18' trailer was wagging my 9000lb van all over the road. Scared the crap out of me. I still don't know how I got it back under control...but I will never be lazy again and if it don't feel right, Ima be a stopping and repositioning fool.
    Last edited by rgd; 12-10-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    rgd, That happened to me about 25 years ago and I was lucky nothing was coming from the other direction. I was just about to ditch the whole thing, reached down and hit the brake controller override slide switch. Boy was I lucky that day.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

Best way to stabilize/secure tractor on trailer

Been talked about lots, but a topic worth discussing.

I chain to the tractor frame, one in each corner, tightened with binders.

Others will argue straps are as good, or better. I say it's OK to be wrong in this world.....

Tee-hee!!!!

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

9. Top | #7
    rgd
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I personally will only use chains for the tractor but will use straps for the implements and FEL. I've had straps loosen when driving through rain. I just don't trust straps anymore for really heavy loads.
    DRobinson, Buster, Levi and 1 others like this.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Years ago I was taking my JD425 to the dealer for some repairs, using a Cheap set of nylon traps way under the weight of the 425. One of the traps broke ,going over a overpass I thought I noticed the tractor moving. Didn't stop only another mile or so , when I stopped , the front wheel was all on the very edge of trailer frame.
    Another time I had put a load of 16' and longer saw lumber on a 14' trailer. Got up to speed and truck and load went every direction except straight above a certain speed. A 20 mile trip took a long long long time.
    Last edited by etcallhome; 12-10-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    eyeboltman likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    I use straps in four directions but never feel comfortable with them, they tend to loosen up on me sometimes. I don't haul very often but that is no excuse. I would prefer chains, I'm waiting for a sale on ratchet binders.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    OK, I went to Norfolk to get 2 trailers, a flatbed which had bad tires when I arrived, and a weapons trailer. Considering condition, I had to put the weapons trailer on the bottom. (weapons trailers have the axles too far forward) I was fine up to 55 MPH, but at 56 the duals on the tractor walked around. I was in the hammer lane of I-95 when it got sideways. I was whippin that corn binder steering wheel L-R for all it was worth, one then the other. It all was surreal, kinda expected the end ya know? But it held it straight til my speed dropped under 55. I grabbed another gear and come on back to base. One trucker gave me the nod when he passed me. After that,, slow ride!

We used straps all the time, no problem as long as they didnt get cut. We used old pieces of firehose to pad against sharp steel. But Navy did ban the non ratchet type binders as a safety issue. I didnt mind.
    eyeboltman likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast