Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The 78 Ford F250 broke down

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks

The 78 Ford F250 broke down

Thursday I hauled a large trailer load of wood, no problems.
    Friday I did the same. The truck was not running right. It acted like it was not getting enough fuel and low on power, and back firing. I am thinking the fuel filter is getting plugged up or the plug wires are damp and it's misfiring.
    I got the load of wood and got it delivered and it's running worst, really lacking power and back firing.

I made it within 3 miles of home and it quit. By the time I walked home my daughter had just came home form College for Christmas break with the Suburban. I used it to bring the trailer home (thinking it might not be there the next morning).

By now it was 5PM so I decided to wait to tow the truck home for daylight.

It was 3:30PM before I could get help to tow the truck home. No EASY way to get it into the pole barn, so I had an hour of daylight to work on it. New fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plugs, cleaned cap and rotor. Still no start and out of daylight.

I am thinking the pickup coil in the distributor has failed, or the brain, box or coil.

Next day I tried a spare brain box, still no start. So off to the auto parts store to buy a pickup coil. Not in stock, have to order it. You would think they would have parts for a 36 year old truck So I ordered it for next day deliver.

Picked up the distributor pickup coil and installed it today. Still no start. My next thought is it jumped time. Before I pull everything off the front of the engine. I put a socket on the crank to turn it by hand to see how far of the rotor is from #1 when I get it turned to TDC. When I check it's off by a cylinder and 1/2, meaning it's not pointing at #1, but between the next two terminals on the distributor.

I don't know why, but I grabbed the rotor and tried turning it. And it turned all the way back to #1, almost 1/4 of a turn. Being gear drive from the cam it should not have turned!

I pulled the distributor and found the roll pin for the drive gear sheared. What was left of the roll pin in the shaft had bound up the gear about 80 degrees off.

A new roll pin later, distributor ready to install, but does not want to seat. I hooked up a remote starter button and start turning the engine while tapping the distributor shaft with a rubber mallet. FINALLY it seats.

After everything is reassembled, I try starting it. Fires right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and runs like it's old self.

That was my 4 day weekend. All because a 1/8" x 3/4" roll pin sheared. At least the drive gear did not fall off into the oil pan.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rgd and 10 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 837 Posts
    Since you've already done a tune-up, I'd say you're good to go for the next 30 years or so.

Just can't beat a good old truck!
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    So let me get this straight. Your 1978 Ford broke down, and you ended up fixing it with a hammer?

I love old trucks. I miss my '78 F-100, and have the itch for a 70's era F-350 extended cab with a 460. They're not very common, but there's one running around town here that looks really nice.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rgd and 5 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Funny! While I was reading your thread I was thinking timing chain or distributor drive gear issue. Seen it many times over the years on mid-late '70's Fords. Good to get to the root of the problem though isn't it?
    rgd and Levi like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Thursday I hauled a large trailer load of wood, no problems.
    Friday I did the same. The truck was not running right. It acted like it was not getting enough fuel and low on power, and back firing. I am thinking the fuel filter is getting plugged up or the plug wires are damp and it's misfiring.
    I got the load of wood and got it delivered and it's running worst, really lacking power and back firing.

I made it within 3 miles of home and it quit. By the time I walked home my daughter had just came home form College for Christmas break with the Suburban. I used it to bring the trailer home (thinking it might not be there the next morning).

By now it was 5PM so I decided to wait to tow the truck home for daylight.

It was 3:30PM before I could get help to tow the truck home. No EASY way to get it into the pole barn, so I had an hour of daylight to work on it. New fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plugs, cleaned cap and rotor. Still no start and out of daylight.

I am thinking the pickup coil in the distributor has failed, or the brain, box or coil.

Next day I tried a spare brain box, still no start. So off to the auto parts store to buy a pickup coil. Not in stock, have to order it. You would think they would have parts for a 36 year old truck So I ordered it for next day deliver.

Picked up the distributor pickup coil and installed it today. Still no start. My next thought is it jumped time. Before I pull everything off the front of the engine. I put a socket on the crank to turn it by hand to see how far of the rotor is from #1 when I get it turned to TDC. When I check it's off by a cylinder and 1/2, meaning it's not pointing at #1, but between the next two terminals on the distributor.

I don't know why, but I grabbed the rotor and tried turning it. And it turned all the way back to #1, almost 1/4 of a turn. Being gear drive from the cam it should not have turned!

I pulled the distributor and found the roll pin for the drive gear sheared. What was left of the roll pin in the shaft had bound up the gear about 80 degrees off.

A new roll pin later, distributor ready to install, but does not want to seat. I hooked up a remote starter button and start turning the engine while tapping the distributor shaft with a rubber mallet. FINALLY it seats.

After everything is reassembled, I try starting it. Fires right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and runs like it's old self.

That was my 4 day weekend. All because a 1/8" x 3/4" roll pin sheared. At least the drive gear did not fall off into the oil pan.
    Great that you got it running again. I had a 72 F250 with the 390 engine auto trans and that thing was a WORK truck. I pulled a 28 foot travel trailer over Wolf's Creek pass in Colorado with that thing without missing a lick. 11,000 feet up with a two barrel carb. Over 12,000 lbs gross. Wish I still had it as we usually do after selling it.

Dave
    Zebrafive and Levi like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    So let me address the elephant in the room. Why did the roll pin shear?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks

The 78 Ford F250 broke down

Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Wonder myself, I suppose a seized distributor shaft.... I have seen it before many years ago and replaced the distributor as it was junk then.. Maybe oil pump issue also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xhere; 12-15-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    2025R, 63 MMM, FEL, Ballast Box

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    A loose timing chain can cause the problem due to slack take up. Also if a piece of grit gets lodged in the oil pump it can cause the roll pin to shear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater