1994 Ford 302 Econoline van jerks when driving down the road
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Ford 302 Econoline van jerks when driving down the road

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks

1994 Ford 302 Econoline van jerks when driving down the road

Anyone have a Ford 302 Econoline Van that jerked when going down the road.. I can't tell if it's an electrical or a transmission problem for sure... It happens fast, it jerks the whole truck like the transmission is letting go then catching hard.

I just put a new distributor cap and rotor in it tonight, it seems like it helped maybe a little bit but it still does it when accelerating or when in top gear cruising along at 55mph in overdrive ...when I go 70 it doesn't seem to do it.

This week end I'm going to put new wires on and change plugs but I'm thinking because of the severe jerk it has to be a bad ignition module, hall effect switch or tyranny.

I would be appreciate any opinions and guesses, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-25-2014 @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    When was the last time you changed the intenal filter on the trans? It won't hurt to tune it but don't overlook that trans. it could be clogged and starving on acceleration.
    04 4310 430 loader 47 backhoe.. Frontier r1072 finish mower..Speeco splitter and pallet mover..5ft box blade and york rake..
    1985 112L 1969 110(for sale) 1948 IH Farmall Cub with cultivators

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 2,581 Posts
    Does it have the E4OD trans? Not one of Fords best
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YesDeere View Post
    When was the last time you changed the intenal filter on the trans? It won't hurt to tune it but don't overlook that trans. it could be clogged and starving on acceleration.
    YD I have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles on average, just had it done a year or two ago but haven't put many miles on it. When you say internal filter do you mean the one under the bottom pan? It costs something like $80 if I'm remembering correctly to have ford service the transmission.

Kenny can you tell me how I can find out if it's the E4OD trans? My van is Coachman conversion van if that makes any difference.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-25-2014 @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    Yes that's the filter I'm talking about. Check the fluid to make sure it's full and not all burned up. Like your doing start with the tune up and go from there. A lot of times this cures it. The biggest thing I see overlooked are air and fuel filters. Let us know how you make out.
    04 4310 430 loader 47 backhoe.. Frontier r1072 finish mower..Speeco splitter and pallet mover..5ft box blade and york rake..
    1985 112L 1969 110(for sale) 1948 IH Farmall Cub with cultivators

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YesDeere View Post
    Yes that's the filter I'm talking about. Check the fluid to make sure it's full and not all burned up. Like your doing start with the tune up and go from there. A lot of times this cures it. The biggest thing I see overlooked are air and fuel filters. Let us know how you make out.
    YD I checked the oil, it looks clean and shows up properly on the dip stick cold or hot in park. I'll let you know how things turn out after I install the new plugs and put the new wires on. If that doesn't cure it I'm taking it to autozone for free computer scan and see if it picks up a bad sensor. After that it's going to the auto tranny man. The distributor cap was shot and so was the rotor, maybe high resistance caused the ignition moudule to go.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    What about spark plugs. if the cap and rotor was bad, the plugs may be fouling out also.

Brian

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What about spark plugs. if the cap and rotor was bad, the plugs may be fouling out also.
    Brian I'm hoping it's electric not mechanical but the way the vehicle jerks I don't feel it's an ignition problem, a miss I don't think would make the vehicle jerk so hard. I'll be finding out this weekend.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-30-2013 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    The E40D came out in '89, and it is the first fully electronic auto tranny. Here is a link that you can run your VIN to see what it came configured with. Alternativly you can check the bottom of the tranny for a tag that states what tranny it is. If memory serves me correctly it is 1/2 way up on the passenger side.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...s/default.asp#

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    YD I have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles on average, just had it done a year or two ago but haven't put many miles on it. When you say internal filter do you mean the one under the bottom pan? It costs something like $80 if I'm remembering correctly to have ford service the transmission.

Kenny can you tell me how I can find out if it's the E4OD trans? My van is Coachman conversion van if that makes any difference.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dellwas View Post
    The E40D came out in '89, and it is the first fully electronic auto tranny. Here is a link that you can run your VIN to see what it came configured with. Alternativly you can check the bottom of the tranny for a tag that states what tranny it is. If memory serves me correctly it is 1/2 way up on the passenger side.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...s/default.asp#
    Thanks dellwas, I appreciate the link, I'll get the regisration out tomorrow and see what I can find out.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast