Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Trailer for my 5220 with Loader and Farmi Winch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-10-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks

Trailer for my 5220 with Loader and Farmi Winch

HELP, Please!

I have a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD Truck and need to move my JD 5220 with Loader and Farmi Winch to another property I own. I have asked and asked around from dealer to loggers' to other tractor owners and I get that many different answers. It's so damn frustrating. The Tractor I would say is 10K lbs with implements? 12K max?

I just looked at a $1500 used Deck over Trailer with new brakes, lights etc. "24000 pound Trailer" on the placard with what on the tongue he didn't know. I have a logger friend who said he thought it would be quite a load on my Truck and there are two big hills to go up and down.

Can anyone Please help me so I don't get into a dangerous situation nor ripped off in a sale? New is not an option.

And Yes I am obviously still a "NEWBIE", so much so that when my wife asked what I'd like for Fathers Day I said "for my friend Robbie to come over, as a teacher, to do a full on service of all fluids hydraulics etc., ALL REGULAR MAINTAINENCE, with me.

As always thank you for your generous help with the Trailer Question.

WILD-MTN
    Last edited by WLDMTN; 06-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    I think your estimate of the actual tractor weight may be wrong. TractorData.com shows a max weight of 6031 lbs if you have a 4WD with cab, significantly lower for other configs. Even if that doesn't include fluids or filled tires I doubt whether you're anywhere near 10,000#. You'll still have to take into account the weight of your trailer, tow style (bumper-pull or gooseneck) and whether tongue weight can be adjusted to safe standards, but I doubt that it would exceed the capacity of a 2500HD. I believe my dad pulls a 13-14K 5th wheel camper with his similar truck all over the country.

Rob
    jdmich likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    You’ll get lots of help here.

Just wanted to say thank you for asking before you got yourself into a bad situation. I made my living on the road for many years and cringe to think back on all the bad trailer setups I saw going down the road. People have to remember that they share the road with many other people - the need for a safe setup is paramount.
    SulleyBear, Treefarmer and Fozsey like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    I agree that sounds a little heavy, but IDK how much the loader weighs. Still doubt 10k lbs,

I would look for a trailer: 7 foot wide, 18 -20 foot long, with two 7K lbs axles, brakes on at least one axle, stand up ramps, or the fold down ramps, or a tilt. A heavy jack stand on the front.

If you are hauling with a implement the stand up ramps could be an issue or you might could back the tractor on.
    The ramps with the kick stand helps keep you're truck from being picked up and from rolling.
    The 7k ramp trailers are around $2500 to $3800
    All that goes away with a tilt. We have one at work and it's super. But they are $4500 to $5500.

IF the steep hills are loose gravel that could be an issue.
    NEVER UNLOAD ON A HILL WITH OUT SOMEBODY HOLDING THE BRAKE OR WHEELS CHOCKED GOOD.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I think your estimate of the actual tractor weight may be wrong. TractorData.com shows a max weight of 6031 lbs if you have a 4WD with cab, significantly lower for other configs. Even if that doesn't include fluids or filled tires I doubt whether you're anywhere near 10,000#. You'll still have to take into account the weight of your trailer, tow style (bumper-pull or gooseneck) and whether tongue weight can be adjusted to safe standards, but I doubt that it would exceed the capacity of a 2500HD. I believe my dad pulls a 13-14K 5th wheel camper with his similar truck all over the country.

Rob
    Rob that is good information. I am 4WD but no Cab. I'll call it 6500lbs and go from there. So....Any recommendations on Trailer size, weight rating etc.? Even a comment like "I'd go with this one" and attach a Picture. I'm a visual learner don't-cha-know.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

"Rodney"

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    You’ll get lots of help here.

Just wanted to say thank you for asking before you got yourself into a bad situation. I made my living on the road for many years and cringe to think back on all the bad trailer setups I saw going down the road. People have to remember that they share the road with many other people - the need for a safe setup is paramount.

If you ever saw the movie CADYSHACK, when Rodney Dangerfield is running a HUGE motorboat through the harbor? I had an instructor in College (Maritime College) that refered to the Dumb side of the General Public boating community as Rodney. Watch out for Rodney! Rodney WILL, cross in front of you. Well, I never want to be in the "RODNEY" class of Trailer Haulers on the Highway's of this great nation. I've seen plenty and Oh my God what in the world are they thinking?

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

That's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    I agree that sounds a little heavy, but IDK how much the loader weighs. Still doubt 10k lbs,

I would look for a trailer: 7 foot wide, 18 -20 foot long, with two 7K lbs axles, brakes on at least one axle, stand up ramps, or the fold down ramps, or a tilt. A heavy jack stand on the front.

If you are hauling with a implement the stand up ramps could be an issue or you might could back the tractor on.
    The ramps with the kick stand helps keep you're truck from being picked up and from rolling.
    All that goes away with a tilt. We have one at work and it's super. But they are $4500 to $5500.

NEVER UNLOAD ON A HILL WITH OUT SOMEBODY HOLDING THE BRAKE OR WHEELS CHOCKED GOOD.
    Nn Gravel. Thank you. That guy was trying to sell me a Trailer more than twice the capacity I needed. Can't trust anyone.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WLDMTN View Post
    Rob that is good information. I am 4WD but no Cab. I'll call it 6500lbs and go from there. So....Any recommendations on Trailer size, weight rating etc.? Even a comment like "I'd go with this one" and attach a Picture. I'm a visual learner don't-cha-know.
    Well, I'd get a better estimate of the total weight of what you are going to haul before making a specific recommendation, but in general I'd say a 10K or 14K utility/equipment trailer would be what you're looking for. I'm a fan of my 10K 18' (16+2) ABU Trailer equipment trailer because it does what I need and is somewhat flexible. I made short (15") sides for it so that I can haul loose material if I need and it easily handles my other equipment. It has stored ramps which have their pros and cons. Pros are that they are not in the way if you need to haul something long and they aren't bouncing around, but cons are that they are heavy and take time to un-stow and put in place and then re-stow plus they don't provide vertical support so there are separate drop leg supports to put down when unloading something heavy. And those things have WAY too few adjustment holes in them...

Lots of people love gooseneck trailers for these heavy haulers so you may want to consider that if you will only ever be using a truck that is equipped for it.

Rob
    Jep and WLDMTN like this.
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post

The only thing I would change is get brakes on BOTH axles. Some states require this if over a certain weight.

Is there somewhere close you can weigh your tractor??
    posi likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    The only thing I would change is get brakes on BOTH axles. Some states require this if over a certain weight.

Is there somewhere close you can weigh your tractor??
    He really shouldn't have to go to the trouble of bringing it to be weighed. Everything has a spec that can be looked up... he just needs to gather them up. Tractor weight, weight of attachments (loader, mower, etc.), weight of liquid in tires if filled, weight of ballast if any. Then add a bit of safety buffer and you got your cargo weight.

Rob
    1996 345 - Traded

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast