Ye old truck needs new batteries.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ye old truck needs new batteries.

1. Top | #1
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Ye old truck needs new batteries.

My '95 Dodge Cummins needs new batteries. After 9 years of faithful service, the blue top group 31 Optima are starting to slow down. So I'm looking to replace them. I like the long service life and zero problems and corrosion issues they've given me. I'm thinking I can stay with the same ones. The group 31 batteries just barely fit in their respective trays. The terminals are pretty close to the hood. Since I don't use the truck for snow plowing anymore, I'm thinking I could save some bucks and get the smaller group 27 batteries. They are the same size only shorter and lose only about 100 cca's each. The other part of me says it worked for 9 years without issues, why change the formula?

BTW, the blue top marine group 27 and 31 are electrically the same as the other Optima group 27 and 31 batteries. I've used the extra 5/16"s screw terminals for extra electrical accessories.

What say you guys? Same size? Smaller? Perhaps you have a recommendation for a different brand? It has to be a sealed AGM or the like to be considered a contender to be bought and installed. I don't use the truck very much and don't want the issues associated with traditional lead-acid batteries.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 06:30 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    My '95 Dodge Cummins needs new batteries. After 9 years of faithful service, the blue top group 31 Optima are starting to slow down. So I'm looking to replace them. I like the long service life and zero problems and corrosion issues they've given me. I'm thinking I can stay with the same ones. The group 31 batteries just barely fit in their respective trays. The terminals are pretty close to the hood. Since I don't use the truck for snow plowing anymore, I'm thinking I could save some bucks and get the smaller group 27 batteries. They are the same size only shorter and lose only about 100 cca's each. The other part of me says it worked for 9 years without issues, why change the formula?

BTW, the blue top marine group 27 and 31 are electrically the same as the other Optima group 27 and 31 batteries. I've used the extra 5/16"s screw terminals for extra electrical accessories.

What say you guys? Same size? Smaller? Perhaps you have a recommendation for a different brand? It has to be a sealed AGM or the like to be considered a contender to be bought and installed. I don't use the truck very much and don't want the issues associated with traditional lead-acid batteries.
    I've never had batteries on a diesel last 9 years. I would stick with what you had! Just this week I got two new batteries from autozone for free since the last two only lasted two years... After these go I'm going to try the Optimas.

I also think that fords are harder on batteries than are dodges. Those cummins just crank right up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Yeah, I would take the if it ain't broke....philosophy. Although I guess the batteries are kinda broke, but you know what I mean. Also, they don't make batteries like they used to. And they have gotten $$$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Thanks
    As a former Optima fan, just my .02
    I started using them back in the late 90's. I was working for the US Army at Ft Dix and they were in HUMMV's.
    They were great batteries. Upside down, sideways, didn't matter. New technology of time.
    They were made in colorado using virgin lead.
    Fast forward to the last few years..
    They moved to mexico and began using recycled lead.

I have been into Land Cruisers for years and a member of a cruiser forum. Everyone started having issues with Optimas and voiced the same problems. Batteries only lasting a few years.
    A gentleman a couple years ago that was a former employee of Optima in Co. came into the threads and told what had happened in the company to cut costs and the resulting problems.

Most everyone made the jump to Odyssey dry cells made by EnerSys.
    Seem to have the old Optima reliability.
    They also make the Sears Diehard Platinum battery which most buy because it is a little cheaper than the Odyssey brand name. But same battery.
    I put two in my cruiser.

Again, just my .02

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (01-03-2015), Zebrafive (01-13-2015)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    As Blue stated, the Optimas aren't what they use to be.

For what it's worth, I got 8.5 years out of the Autozone Duralast batteries in my '97 Powerstorke. I just had to replace them and had always said I would go with Odysseys but having to replace them two days after Christmas I didn't have $600, went back with Duralast for $250.

While Sears' AGM is made by Odyssey, how much longer will Sears be in business to honor the 4 year replacement warranty?
    Last edited by psrumors; 01-03-2015 at 11:41 AM.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    Blue beat me too it but I was in the same boat a month ago cummins needed new batteries. I did a lot of reading and seems since optima went to mexico the quality went down hill. As he states Oddyssey seems to be one of the best but very spendy. The sears diehard platnum is made by Oddyssey and around 250 unless you can find it on sale. I ended up with AGMx2 from batteries plus for the life of me I can't remember who makes them but it is a respected USA manufactuer, call batteries plus and they will tell you. The group 27 which i think i put in is 930 CC amps. Any way ya cut it, its a 500 dollar bill for batteries...but it really spins em over. I figure if it don't start I got enough battery power I can drive it on battery power and the starter.
    New JD 2032R 72MMM H130 Loader Kens hooks Frontier box blade Frontier forks ballast box old stuff LX4 brush hog JD tiller and landscape rake fertilizer spreader and fimco sprayer speco phd

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I waited and watched the Sears website.
    Every few months they throw out that 20 or 25% off auto coupon for a week or so.
    That's when i bought mine.
    And another tip is to dig through the battery rack at Sears. They put the newer made ones in the back of the row like at the grocery store.
    Gizmo2 and OxPath like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (01-13-2015)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    I would say it all depends on how long you decide to keep the truck . If your looking long term yet, I'd stay with what you know lasts. If only a few years then I might go cheaper.
    I also got a little over 9 years on the original batteries in my 2002 Duramax, they didn't completely die but you could tell they were getting weak. I went with AC Delco since they lasted well and the warranty was much better than others. Price was only a couple $ more than Carquest's, Auto Zone, BatterysPlus best battery's and not as good of warranty. Put the best old one in my beater work car and it lasted another 2years starting the V6 Buick.
    My motto stay with what works for you.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red badger View Post
    I would say it all depends on how long you decide to keep the truck . If your looking long term yet, I'd stay with what you know lasts. If only a few years then I might go cheaper.
    I also got a little over 9 years on the original batteries in my 2002 Duramax, they didn't completely die but you could tell they were getting weak. I went with AC Delco since they lasted well and the warranty was much better than others. Price was only a couple $ more than Carquest's, Auto Zone, BatterysPlus best battery's and not as good of warranty. Put the best old one in my beater work car and it lasted another 2years starting the V6 Buick.
    My motto stay with what works for you.
    I gotta say I agree.
    My original AC Delco in my '02 1500HD lasted 11 years!
    Wound up putting a upper crust NAPA Maint free in it though.
    Too much trouble to get a another AC.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    05-09-2019 @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    These are good Odyssey batteries that are manufactured by EnerSys : ODYSSEY battery - Design Advantages
    2014 John Deere 4720 Premium Cab, 400CX Loader w/ 73" HD Bucket, Artillian Forks, 681 Tiller, PHD400, Ballast Box, Frontier TR2058 Overseeder, Frontier SS2067B Broadcast
    Spreader, iMatch, JD HD Sprayer.
    2013 John Deere 997

1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee - Currently disassembled waiting for restoration.
    1947 Allis Chalmers Model B - Still running great - handed down from my Grandfather to my Father to me.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast