Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 2015 VS. 2014 Ford F150 Cargo Bed Impacts Tests

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts

2015 VS. 2014 Ford F150 Cargo Bed Impacts Tests

How does Military Grade Aluminum compare with conventional Steel construction?

Some comparison testing here: Pro Athletes do their best to destroy 2015 F-150 bed | PowerNation
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Bubber and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I read on another forum that FMC put prototype trucks with aluminum boxes into contactor's hands well over a year ago to see how they would hold up. With the same thickness of aluminum as the steel used the results were not good, so thicker aluminum was used on a second round of test trucks. The results of that test shows they wanted 30% stronger boxes than the old steel boxes.

FMC's market share on trucks is suffering. I look for there to be a huge amount of F-150 and Super Duty commercials in 2015.

Having driven Ford pickups for over 35 years, I really like SON's brand new '14 RAM 2500 CTD 4-door 4x4 pickup. If I got a new truck, I'd get a new RAM too!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    When shutting the door on the 15 F150 there is zero reverberation through the exterior skin as on steel skinned models. Seem very solid. I'm sure the aluminum body's will go over well for most. They must have done something right to be the best selling truck for so many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2025R, 63 MMM, FEL, Ballast Box

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Glad they seemed to have fixed that reverberation. That is always something that bothered me on my dad's 2012 F150 crew cab. My grandfather's 2013 Silverado crew cab doesn't do that. I am not loyal to any brand, neither is my grandfather. My dad has never owned anything but Ford's in my 38 years. So I always make sure I point out the reverberation and tell him grand dad's doesn't do that.

DRobinson and xhere like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Son's old '06 F150 SuperCab didn't reverberate unless you really slammed the doors. But no matter how hard you slammed the rear doors the front doors never seemed to completely latch into the rear doors.

Plus when it needed $500+ in parts to fix one side of FMC's Shift-on-the-Fly 4wd with only 64,000 miles on it, it was time to send it down the pike before something else wore out.

I can't remember what years they were or exactly how many there were, but there's been several years when Chevy and GMC combined sold more trucks than Ford did, but Ford sold more than Chevy so they're best selling string was left in tact. But As I said before, Ford's market share is slipping. GM's is growing a little and RAM's is growing a LOT! I guess word about FMC declining warranty on parts like high pressure fuel pumps, radiators, etc is spreading.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    The worst thing I've seen that would send someone running from Ford is the 6.0 Powerstroke. With that said there isn't one manufacturer that doesn't have issues of some sort. I don't think anyone builds a bad truck. Pick the one that floats your boat.

mjncad, DRobinson and ColonyPark like this.
    2025R, 63 MMM, FEL, Ballast Box

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Thanks
    I don't know what all the fuss is over the use of aluminum in pickups. After all heavy duty (Class 8) trucks have used aluminum in their cabs and frames for decades. Ravens has used aluminum in their trailers since at least the 70's. Ravens By Kruz Aluminum Dump Trailers and Bodies also Kruz Steel Dump Trailers and Bodies - Kruz Inc. Aircraft have used aluminum in their construction since before WW2.

Although the steel used in modern car bodies has a high tensile strength compared to the steels of yesteryear; the stuff is pop can thin. I'd rather have thicker aluminum and lighter weight that resists dents better than pop can thin, yet heavier steel because that's how its always been done.

Ford is going with aluminum on the F-150 to get the MPG up and a 700-pound weight saving is significant. If the F-150 proves successful; then you can bet Ford will expand the use of aluminum in spite of its higher cost to meet the ever increasing EPA CAFE requirements. It's a safe bet that other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

There are only so many BTU's in a gallon of gas or diesel, and all the easy tricks to improve mileage have been incorporated into vehicles. Now the engineers have to get creative to squeeze even more blood out of a turnip.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    I don't know what all the fuss is over the use of aluminum in pickups. After all heavy duty (Class 8) trucks have used aluminum in their cabs and frames for decades. Ravens has used aluminum in their trailers since at least the 70's. Ravens By Kruz Aluminum Dump Trailers and Bodies also Kruz Steel Dump Trailers and Bodies - Kruz Inc. Aircraft have used aluminum in their construction since before WW2.

Although the steel used in modern car bodies has a high tensile strength compared to the steels of yesteryear; the stuff is pop can thin. I'd rather have thicker aluminum and lighter weight that resists dents better than pop can thin, yet heavier steel because that's how its always been done.

Ford is going with aluminum on the F-150 to get the MPG up and a 700-pound weight saving is significant. If the F-150 proves successful; then you can bet Ford will expand the use of aluminum in spite of its higher cost to meet the ever increasing EPA CAFE requirements. It's a safe bet that other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

There are only so many BTU's in a gallon of gas or diesel, and all the easy tricks to improve mileage have been incorporated into vehicles. Now the engineers have to get creative to squeeze even more blood out of a turnip.
    Aluminum = lighter weight. For the commercial trucking industry lighter weight = more payload. For the passenger car and light truck market lighter weight = more MPG because these vehicles are primarily operated near empty. In a previous life I did some work with Kenworth Truck and Ravens, East Manufacturing and MAC Trailers at manufacturing plants in Ohio. All utilized aluminum in their Class 8 trucks or flatbed & dump trailers.
    mjncad and DRobinson like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

mjncad (01-13-2015)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    The manufacturers still have some tricks up their sleeves they just can't let them all out of the bag at once. With the government regulations ever increasing the manufacturers have to hold back so that they are always making gains.

My brother has a '12 Ford F150 ecoboost 4wd crewcab for his company truck.He caries a 130 gallon diesel tank in the bed and is always loaded with other tools. Truck got about 15 mpg until he got it tuned. Now the truck gets a consistent 17 mpg and still passes emmissions. These are hand calculated figures.

So if some third party can squeeze an extra 2 mpg out of a vehicle you know the manufacturers are holding back waiting on the next regulation to kick in.

Of course I firmly believe the gubment is doing their best to curtail any major gains in fuel mileage but that is a discussion for another thread in another section
    mjncad likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    01-12-2015 @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    I've always been a dodge truck guy but as a Ford stockholder I'm hoping this will be a great success for them. I really like how Ford has turned themselves around as a company in the last few years. My next truck might even be a Ford!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast