Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Diesel truck engines

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks

Diesel truck engines

So I'm somewhat considering going diesel. Most of the time it's a short trip back and forth to work, 10 miles round trip.
    The other time would be pulling a 75 horse tractor on a 18-20 trailer.

I probably don't drive my personnel vehicle 7K miles a year. And will be looking at a used truck.

My work truck is a gas 3/4 ton and really like the freedom of the heavier truck.

I've been reading threads on here and truck forums, it's a bit overwhelming to say the least.

I've been around diesel engines in tractors, generators, dozers, you name it, except trucks.

I'd just like to hear from the diesel guys on their experiences and MODs that really make a dependable truck and a joy to drive.

I won't be rolling coal BTW.
    BigJim55, mark02tj, Marlin and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    My nephew purchased a diesel, I bought almost the same truck in gas,,, 3/4 ton Chevy's

My beliefs,,
    for occasional weekend local hauling, I see zero difference in performance.
    Both trucks will pull within the load limits of the tires.

Diesels may have an advantage in highway speed,, up mountains,,
    I do not tow there,, and if I do, only going 60 MPH instead of 85 MPH is OK with me.

Diesels are supposed to get better fuel mileage when towing,,
    I never tow far enough to matter.

For me,, the 3/4 ton Chevy to will ALWAYS be a gas engine,,

My last one did everything I wanted for 20 years,,,
    if the new one does that,, I will need a new truck when I am 87 years old,,,

Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure what manufacturer you like. That is a key component to answering your question.

I am Duramax person and have a 2007.5 Duramax 3500 crew cab dually 4x4. I love it but it is an expensive date at times. Just realize everything costs more with a diesel. If you change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter as required they will be relative trouble free. Also those heavy duty parts like suspension, steering, etc do not have as long of service life as you might find in a light duty truck, but you probably already know that since you have a gas 3/4 ton.

Since you said you want used that opens up the aperture a lot.

Anything made after 2007 comes with a DPF filter (unless someone removed it) and anything after 2010 or so comes with urea injection. What's the big deal? Well, the DPF filter will hurt mileage because it will go in to REGEN mode where it adds fuel to increase exhaust temps to burn off the junk caught by the filter. I believe the late model trucks have improved on the mileage aspect of this but my 2007 suffered greatly when it went into REGEN. The DPF filter will clog and can't be serviced only replaced (some faster than othera, mine went to about 125-130k miles, some last much longer) and then the urea injection is another expense and something to track. So if you want a late model diesel just be aware of what you are getting into. My state doesn't test emissions on diesels so...I don't worry about the DPF filter anymore.

So if dealing with a DPF filter and urea injection isn't your deal then find something older than a 2007. I would settle on what brand of truck and then start reading up on what years you might be interested in. Each brand has some quirks and historical issues that maybe present in your truck so decide in advance the ones you are willing to deal with.

If you are looking for a diesel truck to get decent mileage then get a 3/4 ton either single cab or extended cab with short bed, 2wd if you can. My 1 ton dually is about 1000lbs heavier than a 3/4 ton depending on its configuration and its a huge difference on mileage. Also your tires wear faster on a dually unless you are really dedicated about rotating tires. Since I have Alcoa rims on the outside 4 and steel ones on the inside, rotating them is not really practical. However, a dually makes a really good tow vehicle so if you need it get it. Good luck with your search.
    mjncad, Marlin, johnH123 and 2 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks
    Yeah I don't get hung up on brand too much, I've driven them all and like them all,

My work 3/4 truck now is a dodge/ram, the one before was a chevy.

I really didn't care for dodge/ram till I got this truck. So far it really is a great truck. I really would consider a ram

Yeah we have some new equipment requiring DEF so I'm somewhat familiar with that.
    Last edited by 1010; 06-17-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Marlin likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Short trips are the enemy of the newer diesel trucks, or anything with a DPF system-that includes not working a tractor one hard. The diesel option in truck nowadays is about $11K, so it takes a long time to see cost savings if your only towing occasionally. At 7k miles a year I just don't see where you'd come out ahead if you include the extra maintenance, higher fuel prices, and DEF.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    My .02 is if the truck is making you money and you have a need to utilize either the towing capacity and or fuel mileage pay for the diesel with the understanding that when not if engine related repairs arise, you'll be spending a minimum of $1000 each time. The 2011 to 2016 ford 6.7s are great but had radiator issues ($1200) DPF system issues ($1000) and if you were one of the unlucky turbo charger failure recipients, $2000 plus. A daily commuter vehicle won't absorb these incurred repair costs unless you are a trust fund baby and gramps is footing the repairs. There is no comparison between the fuel economy, power and torque of the 6.7 next to the 6.2 or 6.8 gassers but the 6.7 is an $8000 upgrade and maintenance costs are 1/3 or more higher not even considering repair premiums. I love my diesel but I am not in denial about its budgetary limits.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozsey View Post
    My .02 is if the truck is making you money and you have a need to utilize either the towing capacity and or fuel mileage pay for the diesel with the understanding that when not if engine related repairs arise, you'll be spending a minimum of $1000 each time. The 2011 to 2016 ford 6.7s are great but had radiator issues ($1200) DPF system issues ($1000) and if you were one of the unlucky turbo charger failure recipients, $2000 plus. A daily commuter vehicle won't absorb these incurred repair costs unless you are a trust fund baby and gramps is footing the repairs. There is no comparison between the fuel economy, power and torque of the 6.7 next to the 6.2 or 6.8 gassers but the 6.7 is an $8000 upgrade and maintenance costs are 1/3 or more higher not even considering repair premiums. I love my diesel but I am not in denial about its budgetary limits.
    Well said. My 12 has a diesel only because that is what I found with a 8’ box and supercab. I have fell in love with the 6.7 over the gas ones I have had but buying new I don’t think I would pay the diesel premium. Used softens the blow but I think the gas trucks have less issues and are cheaper to maintain. Thinking about it is there a gas motor that will not go 100,000 miles with zero issues. The diesel motor itself will but it is all the extra crap that will bite you.
    mjncad, Marlin, Fozsey and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    My last three trucks have been diesels. All trucks at work are Diesel. Except my zturn and 4010 my tractors are Diesel. Long story short, I went back to gas. Last Diesel was 2014 Duramax, 35000 miles and it was in the shop more than I had it. Cost of fuel here, cost of repair when warranty is over and the cost increase for Diesel engine in trucks,I went back to 2018 2500hd gas. Pulling what I pull I was getting 12-13 with last duramax and 19 back and forth to work. With current gas I’m getting 12 around town and 9-10 pulling. So my decision was hard as I’m a Diesel man but this is what I did.

1. Went to a 2018 2500hd WT. 410 rear end 6 speed.
    2. Diesel here is 19 -25 cents more a gallon than gas
    3. Have a car I drive back and forth to work 30mpg. Truck only used for hauling or when needed.
    4. Less mpg with gas but gas is cheaper
    5. Diesel has more get up and go and pulls hills much better.......but I’m not in as much of a hurry as I used to be.
    6. Cost of gas truck was much less $10,000 approximately less so with trade in I was able to pay cash for new truck
    7. Until they change or the EPA requirement level out and Diesels become diesels again, I’m staying gas.

Just my 2 cents and thinking

Oh and we are having all kinds of emission troubles es with our trucks at work
    Last edited by jdmich; 06-17-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts
    For all the reasons mentioned, I passed on the diesel option and went big gasser. The initial purchase price, fuel prices, and maintenance costs coupled with my low mileage use and only occasionally towing, it just didnít make sense. As much as I love a great diesel, my logical side of my brain (and wallet) took over and made my decision easy. Even though Iíd love to have the subtle rumble of a Cummins under the hood, Iím very happy with the 6.4 Hemi.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    buy a 2006 or older there are low mileage clean examples still out there you will pay a high price for them but well worth it.

2007 was a change in emissions as well as 2010 unless you got deep pockets for repair dont buy one. most are Deleted meaning the emissions where deleted and for on road use illegal. most will say blah blah i never got caught but states are getting wise to this and will start checking. i have a friend in DOT and they are already looking for trucks putting out any amount of black smoke.. so its coming. a 2007 or newer should never put out black smoke period.. in my state they are already talking about yearly inspections at the least he tells me. when or if that will happen who knows

but if the do and your caught $$$$$

if your a dye hard ford guy get a 1996 or older otherwise pulling the cab to do engine work is normal
    gm duramax is built by GM not isuzu gm partnered with them to help design it but Gm builds it
    Cummins well its king most people will say the truck is garbage though. not true just by one that hasnt been run into the ground as with any brand

for short use like you say a gasser may be better unless you just love diesel's
    mjncad, Zebrafive, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold