Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: How NOT to tie down

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks

How NOT to tie down

I happened to notice this sign over the ratchet straps at my local TSC store. I generally like TSC stores but they should be ashamed to have this exhibit in their stores. I just hope some newbie does't take this as visual guidance on how to tie down a tractor and FEL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3112.jpg  
    mjncad, glc, Tomfive and 14 others like this.
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2007 850D Deere Gator

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
    I happened to notice this sign over the ratchet straps at my local TSC store. I generally like TSC stores but they should be ashamed to have this exhibit in their stores. I just hope some newbie does't take this as visual guidance on how to tie down a tractor and FEL.
    Actually, for a tractor which is tied down, the picture serves as a perfect example of how NOT to secure such a load.......

Is the sign you mentioned for a brand of strap they sell? Otherwise, I wonder why its there?

Gee, right over the fenders as well.......As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a Maroon".....

It reminds me of the episode of Yellowstone last night on the Paramount Network. One of the characters was shown with an older tractor, kind of like the one in the "sign" image and he was trying to pull a stump out with the chains hooked to the 3 point arms.....Sure enough, he walked the tractor over backwards, but wasn't hurt.

But the moment they showed him pulling on the stump, I said to Mrs. Bear, "That's exactly how you don't attempt to do that?" She replied "Why?" and just then, the tractor flipped.......and I said "because of that"........

Of course, then the guy took a 5 gallon bucket of Tannerite and blew a moon crater in his property. And in typical Hollywood fashion, in the crater which the explosion created, of course there are dinosaur bones and a skeleton just waiting to be excavated.......

(We need a barfing out of disgust smily guy).....

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    That guy in the pic of the ad should not be allow to continue to exist. He is a danger to himself and anyone else around him.

SB, I tried to watch the first episode of Yellowstone, but got so disgusted, I stopped less than half way through the 2 hour initial episode and will not watch any of the following episodes. Doesn't both me too much as I rarely watch TV anyway. There was no continuity of plot, just a lot of jumping around without any reason for it. The program was just a good example of why I rarely watch TV anymore. For example, when the guy put the Y brand on that guys chest, why was he doing that?

Dave
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    That guy in the pic of the ad should not be allow to continue to exist. He is a danger to himself and anyone else around him.

SB, I tried to watch the first episode of Yellowstone, but got so disgusted, I stopped less than half way through the 2 hour initial episode and will not watch any of the following episodes. Doesn't both me too much as I rarely watch TV anyway. There was no continuity of plot, just a lot of jumping around without any reason for it. The program was just a good example of why I rarely watch TV anymore. For example, when the guy put the Y brand on that guys chest, why was he doing that?

Dave
    It's part of a "special group" of Cowboy's who work for Kevin Costner and they do all of the stuff necessary which isn't "legal"........The guy who got branded in his trailer is the son of a friend of Costner's character who has been in trouble and the dad can't do anything to get him under control. So he asked Costner's character to "take him under his wing" and the big guy with the beard who was "visiting with" Costner's character slut daughter, is in charge of this group of "outside the law" Cowboys.

The "Y" is for Yellowstone, the name of the ranch owned by Costner's character in the show.

They dynamited the mountain at the end of the first episode, rerouting the river when the developer told Costner that he would build a development and take the river from Costner's ranch. Well, it flows across Costner's ranch before the potential development property so the Cowboys went up in the hills and changed the course of the river......

Actually, the plot fits together, just that they introduced everything all at once, which wasn't a smart way to do it. Too many different story lines, but a couple are now developing and one looks like it's already run its course. The character who plays his daughter is such a disgusting slut I find her enough to lose interest in the show. Plus, the older son who is the lawyer looks like they painted his hair on. It looks very unnatural and I don't know why it looks like that. He has helmet head that's jet black. Very odd.

Last night, Costner did have to exhume his son's body who he just buried as a result of a shooting over their cattle as Costner wasn't going to allow the authorities to get their hands on it for subsequent exams and autopsy work. So they put his body into a portable cremation machine used for livestock and that's the end of that, as they say.........
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 06-28-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added content
    etcallhome, rydplrs, Levi and 3 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    I needed some of those straps,,,

Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    Oh dear. If there are any US citizens who work for smart straps they should be happy they spelled smart correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16813DCB-CB5C-4E7D-873B-9652914D0ECB.jpeg  
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I needed some of those straps,,,

What I see is an upright one that needs help.

The flat ones are fine without an extrodenary event. It’s not your livelihood, and in normal travel nothing will move. I cannot really fault you. Even a 2” strap the long way is security theater.

To the op, the rear strap is a real issue over the fenders that can bend instead of cut and still release straps. On the front is struggle to do much better without chain.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Those must be real strong fenders. Tractor looks to far back on the trailer too. Probably way to little tongue weight. I bet he wonders why it sways so bad
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    They should have just run one strap through the steering wheel and called it good!
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    It's part of a "special group" of Cowboy's who work for Kevin Costner and they do all of the stuff necessary which isn't "legal"........The guy who got branded in his trailer is the son of a friend of Costner's character who has been in trouble and the dad can't do anything to get him under control. So he asked Costner's character to "take him under his wing" and the big guy with the beard who was "visiting with" Costner's character slut daughter, is in charge of this group of "outside the law" Cowboys.

The "Y" is for Yellowstone, the name of the ranch owned by Costner's character in the show.

They dynamited the mountain at the end of the first episode, rerouting the river when the developer told Costner that he would build a development and take the river from Costner's ranch. Well, it flows across Costner's ranch before the potential development property so the Cowboys went up in the hills and changed the course of the river......

Actually, the plot fits together, just that they introduced everything all at once, which wasn't a smart way to do it. Too many different story lines, but a couple are now developing and one looks like it's already run its course. The character who plays his daughter is such a disgusting slut I find her enough to lose interest in the show. Plus, the older son who is the lawyer looks like they painted his hair on. It looks very unnatural and I don't know why it looks like that. He has helmet head that's jet black. Very odd.

Last night, Costner did have to exhume his son's body who he just buried as a result of a shooting over their cattle as Costner wasn't going to allow the authorities to get their hands on it for subsequent exams and autopsy work. So they put his body into a portable cremation machine used for livestock and that's the end of that, as they say.........
    No harm in a little bit of slutty activity
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast