Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: x700 Series - Transporting on an open trailer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

x700 Series - Transporting on an open trailer

Ok, so here the image. Your Garden tractor is on the (flat deck, open) trailer. All strapped down nice and solid and will not move. Were ready to roll. Are we?
    Hmm, lets take another walk around what we're hauling. Check straps, yep we're good to go. (ramps needing stowed aside)

What potential problem can arise while traveling at high speeds?
    Aside from having to stop fast and the straps breaking. EVERYTHING is secured. Nothing will come loose, you're comfortable with that.

What about the hood on the Garden Tractor? Wind currents will (based on speed traveled) lift the hood eventually. Then what? What happens next?
    The hood gets broken from being beat by that wind. Yes, it's attached at the pivot point, for raising it by hand. I wonder how many hoods have been damaged because the wind played soccer with them.
    How many of you have found yourself in this predicament? C'mon......fess up now!!

Not it!!
    I have a solution to prevention. And NO, it does not involve putting rope or a strap over the hood!!
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    If you have a solution why aren’t you posting it? Is this some sort of game.....?

Put the tractor on the trailer with the rear end forward.
    Jeff R. likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Not a game at all. I post solutions in the form of making people "think" about the scenario.
    Did you cheat on your tests while in school?

Parking the rear of the tractor forward is not the answer. Without retention, try it at 55+ mph and let us know how that went!!
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    Ok, so here the image. Your Garden tractor is on the (flat deck, open) trailer. All strapped down nice and solid and will not move. Were ready to roll. Are we?
    Hmm, lets take another walk around what we're hauling. Check straps, yep we're good to go. (ramps needing stowed aside)

What potential problem can arise while traveling at high speeds?
    Aside from having to stop fast and the straps breaking. EVERYTHING is secured. Nothing will come loose, you're comfortable with that.

What about the hood on the Garden Tractor? Wind currents will (based on speed traveled) lift the hood eventually. Then what? What happens next?
    The hood gets broken from being beat by that wind. Yes, it's attached at the pivot point, for raising it by hand. I wonder how many hoods have been damaged because the wind played soccer with them.
    How many of you have found yourself in this predicament? C'mon......fess up now!!

Not it!!
    I have a solution to prevention. And NO, it does not involve putting rope or a strap over the hood!!
    I recently hauled my x485 on an open snowmobile trailer (borrowed). I put it in facing forward. One strap on the mower front draft bars the other on a rod at the rear that goes across just below the fenders. Straps pulling opposed to each other. My hood stayed shut, I went 6 miles each way, all under 55mph. Probably 40-45mph. No problems for that pull. I did not strap the hood down or anything other than make sure it was latched. Had it come open the hood guard would have stopped it from coming full open. But most likely some damage would have occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    If you have a solution why aren’t you posting it? Is this some sort of game.....?

Put the tractor on the trailer with the rear end forward.
    I think putting it on backwards would cause the hood to "scoop" air and possibly open. So not a good idea.

I'll watch for your solution
    etcallhome and johnH123 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I forgot to say when i bought it used in 2016, I hauled it on an open trailer about 150 miles most over 55mph and the hood stayed shut. No hood guard then, a later addition.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    When I bought my x738 the dealer dropped it off on a flat bed trailer. Twenty miles of highway driving. The hood was never strapped down and didn't open going down the highway.
    If I ever need to haul my x738 on a trailer in the future I have an enclosed trailer with a ramp door so I wouldn't have to worry about the wind. I guess my solution is buy an enclosed trailer to haul your tractor if your worry about the wind.
    Zebrafive likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,550 Posts
    I've hauled the x738 3-4-5 times on open trailer, at 70 mph on the interstate. Pulled the tractor on the trailer , hood never came up once . When tractor was delivered it was pulled on the flat bed. IMO it won't open because unlike a car -truck hood it hinges on the front of the hood not at the rear of the hood.

IMO if you back it on the trailer you're asking for the hood to fly open.

My biggest concern is a strap comes loose from bouncing of the trailer and tractor moves on the trailer. Had this happen years ago on a snowmobile trailer with no raised side rails. I had stopped and checked the straps on our road after traveling 13 miles to Route 40. Had another 10-13 miles to my JD dealer, had been checking my mirrors and after going over a bridge -overpass thought I seen the trailer move. OH it will be OK, pulled in the lot and front tire was about an inch from going off the front of the trailer. OH SH_ _ .. Stopped on the way home bought commercial straps , plus now use a chain and snap down binder to secure what I'm hauling.
    Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    I must agree with the original poster. In the right conditions it's possible for the hood to blow up. I had a six foot heavy duty ladder (weighs about 30 or more lbs) blow out of the back of a pickup once. I had done this same thing many times without a problem. Just put it all the way forward no problem except once. Thank god it didn't hit anybody.
    Ron
    etcallhome likes this.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    duct tape is ALWAYS the answer!!

tape the edges and over the hood.
    mjncad and kylew like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,360 Posts
    The hoods will lift as the air circulates under the right conditions. If you are on an interstate next to a semi truck or other large tall vehicle (bus, RV, etc.) the air gets very turbulent. Plus there is suddenly a lot of "lift" on the air as the large vehicles pass you.

For those of us who are very experienced motorcycle riders, we know the unpredictable conditions or the air especially around a variety of vehicles. I always load the tractors nose forward and I put a bungee strap over the hood, not a ratchet strap, You don't need to put down pressure on the hood, You just want to "discourage it" from catching air and lifting. Put something around the strap to protect the hood, either tie shammies cloths to it or something similar as the strap buffeting in the wind will also damage the hood.

I could see the wind buffeting the hood on the 1 series enough to pop the hood on the trailer with the 2017 and prior style latch. I don't know enough about the 2018 hood latch mechanism. One thing for sure, The hood flexes a lot. .........

My friend who owns a repair shop for small engines has his driver secure a strap over the hoods on all lawn tractors when they haul them. He uses a long bungee strap which has a couple of "soft" wraps on the strap so it doesn't scuff or mar the hood. Usually, the wraps are on the top or edges of the hood. The hoods can be very expensive and some are very hard to get. All it takes is damaging one and it wipes out the profit from lot of repairs or lawn work.

While the hood for my 1025R is "only" about $125, there are some Deere hoods which are nearly $1,000.......The hood for my 455 is nearly $500 with the required decals, with the side panels, it's nearly $1,000.

Here's one hood which is $900 plus.....

https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Co...or+lawn+mowers
    nastorino likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast