• 2 Post By CADplans
  • 2 Post By genesant

Thread: Banjo Eye slot vs D Rings

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:59 AM
    Thanks

Banjo Eye slot vs D Rings

I'm building a new 16' metal decked general purpose trailer. I will usually have bolted on sides panels for general purpose work. Occasionally I will transport the 1025R tractor and want some good tie downs. I was going to have the lower 4" board on the side panels be hinged so that I can lift it up to run the chain through to D Rings on the sides of the trailer. I didn't want the D rings on the floor of the trailer because they would sit above the floor somewhat (Even the so called flush mounts stick up a bit) and make stacking things in the trailer somewhat awkward. My son asked why I don't weld Banjo Eye Plates into the floor of the trailer like Rollback Trucks do for transporting vehicles. I would be using these with 5/16" Tie Down chains. It seems like a great solution but you don't ever see them mentioned. Do any of you have experience with Banjo Eye Tie Down Slots and if so can you tell me the disadvantages?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    If your doing a new build with a steel floor, they are a great idea! It would be difficult to retrofit or add into a trailer with a wood floor IMHO. I would suggest 1/4" thick ones at a minimum.
    mjncad, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genesant View Post
    I'm building a new 16' metal decked general purpose trailer. I will usually have bolted on sides panels for general purpose work. Occasionally I will transport the 1025R tractor and want some good tie downs. I was going to have the lower 4" board on the side panels be hinged so that I can lift it up to run the chain through to D Rings on the sides of the trailer. I didn't want the D rings on the floor of the trailer because they would sit above the floor somewhat (Even the so called flush mounts stick up a bit) and make stacking things in the trailer somewhat awkward. My son asked why I don't weld Banjo Eye Plates into the floor of the trailer like Rollback Trucks do for transporting vehicles. I would be using these with 5/16" Tie Down chains. It seems like a great solution but you don't ever see them mentioned. Do any of you have experience with Banjo Eye Tie Down Slots and if so can you tell me the disadvantages?
    No real disadvantage. Its nice having them available. I use a combination of both, and transport a 3 series with implements.
    mjncad, Kennyd, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I had one of these in each corner of my dump trailer,,

they worked so well there, I added them to my loader bucket.

I vote D-ring,,,
    mjncad and blue87fj60 like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:59 AM
    Thanks
    I just watched a couple videos where someone dropped chain into Banjo Eyes and then tightened against them. DANG that was slick! I think they will be perfect in the bed where I don't want any obstacles in the way of freight laying flat. I'll also add a few D rings on the outside of the frame for use when the sides are off.

Kennyd, thanks for the tip about thickness. I value your opinion about suitability. Most of the Banjo Eyes I find are 5/16" thick and should be very strong once welded to the frame and floor.
    mjncad and Kennyd like this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements