Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Trailer help for 5065E

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-03-2019 @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks

Trailer help for 5065E

I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice. I recently purchased a JD 5065E with a cab and was looking for a pull behind trailer. I am wanting something that I can haul my tractor and implements on occasionally. I have been looking at a 24’ with dual 7k axles. I have seen them in 83” and 102” wide. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfsd View Post
    I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice. I recently purchased a JD 5065E with a cab and was looking for a pull behind trailer. I am wanting something that I can haul my tractor and implements on occasionally. I have been looking at a 24’ with dual 7k axles. I have seen them in 83” and 102” wide. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The 83" wide will have fenders sticking up in your way. The 102" wide would be a deckover (flatbed) and is much more useful, but is higher off the ground. Two 7K axles would only give you 14K gross, less the tare weight of the trailer, which would likely be around 4K or more, leaving only possibly as much as 10K net for the tractor and any attachments that you would have room for. What is the weight of your tractor? What is the weight of any attachments you might need to haul at the same time. My 4066R cab and RFM weigh 7500#, so I can see that you might have a 2500# brush hog attached, leaving you only maybe as much as 7000-7500# for the tractor. That might be cutting it close. In my case, I decided I was through having to buy bigger trailers and went whole hog with a 31ft gooseneck dually deckover. No problem now.

Another point to consider: Straight trailers require that you position the load carefully to make sure the tongue weight is proper. That may influence just what you can load on the trailer. A gooseneck trailer is not fussy about that.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    When it comes to trailers you could get multiple different responses simply because trailers are not a "one for everyone" deal. IMO there is a large difference for the guy who hauls his tractor twice a year verses the guy who hauls his weekly or even daily. If you have an unlimited budget then your stress level on picking out the right trailer is reduced significantly. The trailer capicity is the main factor but the frequency you intend to use it and the miles hauling your tractor would play a role if I was making the decision for myself. I have a bumper pull and a gooseneck using both to haul the tractor. Whichever is not loaded with something at the time is the trailer I use to haul the tractor but I do prefer to use the gooseneck. If I am hauling the tractor a greater distance I really prefer the gooseneck. The difference between the bumper pull and gooseneck with my truck is rather significant. The truck overall handles the gooseneck/load better however if I was only hauling my tractor a couple times a year, there's no way I would have invested money into the gooseneck. I would have kept using the bumper pull I already had and been happy with extra money in my pocket. For what it's worth, Like you, I asked folks questions regarding trailers and recieved answers that was helpful but many didn't apply to my use of a trailer. Based on advice I received I went out and purchased a large deckover trailer and hated the dang thing from day one. IMO, a trailer that is to big is just as much of a pain in the a$$ as a trailer to small. I disliked the trailer height more than anything. I quickly sold the trailer and moved on with a lesson learned for my particular use. In regards to the 24' length you mentioned. That seems like a lot of trailer until you load your tractor and a bushhog for example onto it. My gooseneck is 22' and I wished I had purchased a 24' badly but even with a 24', my 3 series with loader and a cutter attached would fill it, a 5 series is a heck of a lot bigger than my 3520. I think it would help folks give you better advice if you were to describe your intended uses for the trailer, maybe even those that don't include hauling the tractor, frequency and miles intended to transport the equipment, and the vehicle your intending to use. Suggesting you purchase a large deckover gooseneck doesn't really help you if your using a Ford Excursion (for example) as your tow vehicle
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-13-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    69project likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am only planning on trailering the tractor 5-6x per year. I am traveling about 300 miles round trip. In terms of weight, the tractor weighs about 8000k with the loader. The 7 foot bush hog weighs about 1350 lbs. I am going to guess the disc weighs 2k. That’s a total of 11,350 lbs. I sold my diesel last year and having to borrow a friends Duramax to pull it so bumper pull is a must currently. The trailer I am looking at weighs about 3800 lbs for the 83” x 24’ and goes up several hundred pounds when increasing to the 103” wide. I am concerned about pulling the 103” wide trailer on small country roads. Both trailers have the Max Ramps that allow the bush hog to sit flat behind the fenders. Just want to make the right purchase spending that much on a trailer.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    Do you mind sharing the trailer you are looking at?
    ky_shawn likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    This is a picture of the 102” x 24’
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABC537A2-F4B2-4651-B345-9524D99F3EAC_1531516786431.jpeg   D5A21AFB-0FF9-4B57-9DD2-9900E716E03C_1531516795655.jpeg  
    69project and firemachine69 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,580 Posts
    Load trial makes an excellent trailer. Wouldn’t be my first color choice....but, that’s ok.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Looks like a really nice trailer. That trailer looks heavy! You sure a 14k gvwr is enough factoring in the tractor and equipment weight mentioned? Is the 8k tractor weight including loaded tires?
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-13-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    It is going to be close in terms of total weight. I won’t always be carrying all the implements at one time. However, I would like to make sure the trailer is capable if I do. Do you all believe the 14k trailer will be sufficient? Would you go with the 83” or 102” wide trailer? The cons to the wider trailer is it’s heavier (which means less payload) and worried about that wide of a trailer on small county roads. Again, I am new to this and want to make the right decision before purchasing.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfsd View Post
    It is going to be close in terms of total weight. I won’t always be carrying all the implements at one time. However, I would like to make sure the trailer is capable if I do. Do you all believe the 14k trailer will be sufficient? Would you go with the 83” or 102” wide trailer? The cons to the wider trailer is it’s heavier (which means less payload) and worried about that wide of a trailer on small county roads. Again, I am new to this and want to make the right decision before purchasing.
    Choosing between the two you have described, I personally would rather have the additional payload than width considering what your intending to haul with it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast