Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Well, just kick me in the butt. . . trailer light issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Well, just kick me in the butt. . . trailer light issue

Virginia has state mandated inspection for all trailers with brakes and my trailer needed a new inspection. Everything worked when I left the house but when I got to the inspection station the running lights were out. Dang. . . Checked the trailer plug and it was obvious one connector on the plug was bad. Changed the plug out and thought I had mixed up the wires. Changed wires around, rinse and repeat.

Finally got the bright idea to hook up to a second trailer- same thing. Ok, maybe the truck plug was bad. I had another one and had been meaning to swap it anyway. Made the swap which wasn't bad except of course getting dirt in my face and around my eyes- glasses stopped most of it. Go back to the trailer and. . . . nope. WTF? I've got turn signals, brake lights and trailer brakes but no running lights but only 4.5 volts on the running lights connector. Finally my rather dim bulb brightened up a bit and I swapped out the fuse on the truck- all is good.

I could have fixed the issue in 15 seconds but the fuse showed almost no resistance when out but evidently was doing something flaky when installed.

Somebody else can kick my butt for a while, my legs are getting tired of doing it myself. Check the simple stuff first, dummy! I did check resistance but didn't actually change it until the very end of the process.

Treefarmer
    fdmars, Tomfive, Bubber and 11 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Virginia has state mandated inspection for all trailers with brakes and my trailer needed a new inspection. Everything worked when I left the house but when I got to the inspection station the running lights were out. Dang. . . Checked the trailer plug and it was obvious one connector on the plug was bad. Changed the plug out and thought I had mixed up the wires. Changed wires around, rinse and repeat.

Finally got the bright idea to hook up to a second trailer- same thing. Ok, maybe the truck plug was bad. I had another one and had been meaning to swap it anyway. Made the swap which wasn't bad except of course getting dirt in my face and around my eyes- glasses stopped most of it. Go back to the trailer and. . . . nope. WTF? I've got turn signals, brake lights and trailer brakes but no running lights but only 4.5 volts on the running lights connector. Finally my rather dim bulb brightened up a bit and I swapped out the fuse on the truck- all is good.

I could have fixed the issue in 15 seconds but the fuse showed almost no resistance when out but evidently was doing something flaky when installed.

Somebody else can kick my butt for a while, my legs are getting tired of doing it myself. Check the simple stuff first, dummy! I did check resistance but didn't actually change it until the very end of the process.

Treefarmer
    Don’t mean to laugh but I am, been there, done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fdmars, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, me too. Would have started with the same things as you.

Remember borrowing a snowmobile trailer. Lights didn't work. Sat at home and rewired plug connector. Still wasn't working. Finally crawled under truck to find splitter Y had corroded.
    Levi, OxPath, Robnik and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Don't feel bad. Sam's Club left us stranded in a Florida parking lot (with frozen food) last year after changing my car battery. They refused to even come out and look at the vehicle. After finally getting it started with the emergency procedure from the manual, we called our dealer, who recommended bringing the car in. After a 30 minute trip downtown the next day, the checkup revealed nothing more than a blown fuse. I felt foolish, but when I informed the Sam's manager how her folks screwed up, at least we got a free membership renewal. LESSON LEARNED: Call your buddies for advice. I guarantee you that my brother would have instantly identified the problem.
    DRobinson, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Virginia has state mandated inspection for all trailers with brakes and my trailer needed a new inspection.
    Treefarmer
    I have seen people come in with trailers for inspection with the same concern and they fix it in the parking lot before they bring it in some figure it out right away and others do the same thing you did we don't see a lot of trailers just a few a year that come to us every year
    I am a licensed va state inspector and just so you know the law sates that all trailers require inspection whether they are equipped with or without brakes so if you have any other trailers without brakes you will need a sticker on them also
    DRobinson, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Yep, been there. I rewired my whole trailer because I only had lights on the right side. After I rewired I still only had lights on the right side. Figured it was in the truck somewhere. Traded the truck a year later. Last year I worked on the trailer to redo all the wood flooring and paint the trailer. Thought that as long as the floor was out and nothing but the steel frame I'd check the wiring one more time. Took the light off and put it back on. Still the same. Took the ground wires off and redid them. All lights work. All that was needed was a good ground.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Didn't know that

Quote Originally Posted by bmichael View Post
    I have seen people come in with trailers for inspection with the same concern and they fix it in the parking lot before they bring it in some figure it out right away and others do the same thing you did we don't see a lot of trailers just a few a year that come to us every year
    I am a licensed va state inspector and just so you know the law sates that all trailers require inspection whether they are equipped with or without brakes so if you have any other trailers without brakes you will need a sticker on them also

Since that was different from what I had heard, I just checked the State Police Vehicle Inspection website. If the actual gross weight is over 3,000 lbs it is required to have inspection. If the actual gross weight is under 3,000 lbs neither brakes nor inspection are required however if the trailer has brakes inspection is required regardless of weight.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

Treefarmer
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 07-15-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    Levi, OxPath, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:58 PM
    Thanks
    Since that was different from what I had heard, I just checked the State Police Vehicle Inspection website. If the actual gross weight is over 3,000 lbs it is required to have inspection. If the actual gross weight is under 3,000 lbs neither brakes nor inspection are required however if the trailer has brakes inspection is required regardless of weight.

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Treefarmer
    You are correct based on the VA website. VA basically is saying, if your trailer has brakes, it must be VA state inspected. Good research!!!

FAQ section......
    I have a small trailer and I would like to know if it is required to be inspected.
    It depends. If the "actual gross weight" is 3,000 pounds or more, it is required to have brakes and is required to be inspected. (The "actual gross weight" is the weight of the trailer plus the weight of any load that the trailer is carrying.) If the "actual gross weight" is less than 3,000 pounds, it is not required to be inspected; however, any trailer under 3,000 that is equipped with brakes is also required to be inspected.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Treefarmer
    you are correct I wonder why we have people bring in utility trailers without brakes for inspection I will start letting them know they don't need it I just figured all trailers needed inspection its so hard to remember all the requirements in the book and we don't see a lot of trailers only a few a year we inspect mostly cars and trucks
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

It certainly doesn't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by bmichael View Post
    you are correct I wonder why we have people bring in utility trailers without brakes for inspection I will start letting them know they don't need it I just figured all trailers needed inspection its so hard to remember all the requirements in the book and we don't see a lot of trailers only a few a year we inspect mostly cars and trucks
    Well it doesn't hurt to have someone look over a trailer and make sure the lights work, the license tag is there etc. It's a bit of a PITA to check lights by yourself. My hats off to anyone doing inspections, when done by the book it's a lot of work for a minimal payment. I know it also brings in repair work but the first and last week of the month, it's tough for our local shop to get anything else done because of the inspections.

Treefarmer
    Levi, Ray_PA, Robnik and 3 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast