Changing out TPMS sensors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Changing out TPMS sensors

  1. Top | #1
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,832
    Thanks
    1,058
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

    Changing out TPMS sensors

    Hereís the situation - I have a set of winter wheels and tires for my pickup. I need to change the TPMS sensors to a newer version. The wheels are Ford factory stock aluminum wheels from around 2006.

    I can buy OEM takeoff sensors with stems for around $60 a set - new from the dealer are around $200. To get a shop to change them out would be around $20-$25 each. I would like to do this myself.

    I would have to break the bead only near the valve stems. Break the bead and hold it down while changing out the stems/sensors, then hopefully just air them back up and be good to go.

    I was thinking of buying this to break the bead - Harbor Freight Manual Tire Changer for $32 (after 20% coupon).

    https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html

    My idea would be to just break the bead next to the valve stem, have Mrs. C hold the bead down while I change them, then simply air them back up. A question that comes to mind is the balancing weights - I am hoping that I donít have to remove any weights so I donít have to get them rebalanced.

    Think this will work? Is there something that I am not considering?

    If I can do this myself as explained it will cost me roughly $100 including the tire tool vs around $300 for dealer sensors and installation.
    Superglidesport and bvbearcat like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,269
    Thanks
    4,998
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    I don't have more pictures, but I have used the forks on my tractor to bread a few beads-here is the one pic I have when I added a TPMS and metal stems to my motorcycle rims. Sometimes it takes a bit extra persuasion by jumping on them but it's always worked for me.

    Do you have enough air compressor to reseat the beads?


    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_6365.jpg†
Views:	9†
Size:	2.71 MB†
ID:	640978
    glc, DRobinson, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  4. Top | #3
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,832
    Thanks
    1,058
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I don't have more pictures, but I have used the forks on my tractor to bread a few beads-here is the one pic I have when I added a TPMS and metal stems to my motorcycle rims. Sometimes it takes a bit extra persuasion by jumping on them but it's always worked for me.

    Do you have enough air compressor to reseat the beads?
    Now that you mention it, probably not. I only have a California Air Tools 5.5 gal 1hp - 3.1 cfm @ 40# - 2.2 cfm @ 90#

    Never thought of that aspect - thatís why I am glad I asked!
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and bvbearcat like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,269
    Thanks
    4,998
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Stan,
    Is there a local service station that might fill/reseat them for you after you replace the sensors?
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  7. Top | #5
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,832
    Thanks
    1,058
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Stan,
    Is there a local service station that might fill/reseat them for you after you replace the sensors?
    The guy who put the original sensors in for me - he had an evening business in his garage but since quit doing it. I’m sure he still has all his equipment - I can ask him to do it for me.

    Thanks Kenny!

    Edit to add - I think I will try your fork idea - I have plenty of time to get this done. If I can get them to break with the forks that would be great!
    Last edited by coaltrain; 07-30-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Kennyd and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Location
    Near Roa. VA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 437 Times in 337 Posts
    do you have a woodsplitter??



    The tire in the pic was rusted to the wheel, I broke the bead while the tube was still partially inflated,,,
    the woodsplitter will break ANY bead,,,
    glc, DRobinson, coaltrain and 4 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

  9. Top | #7
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,832
    Thanks
    1,058
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    No wood splitter - but an awesome idea!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  10. Top | #8
    AlKozak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Location
    Caroga Lake, NY
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
    Do you have a full size spare that you carry? Mandatory TPMS sensors are a regulatory nag to get you to keep your tires properly inflated. The only time IMO they are really necessary is when you have a car equipped with run flats and no spare. If the answer is yes, I would just postpone doing anything until my next set of tires because....

    ...unless the new sensor is identical in weight and weight distribution to the old, you'll still need to rebalance the wheels. The further way from the hub, the more effect a tiny weight has on balance. The weights on the 17" wheels of my 328Xi are only a couple of grams each.

    Al

  11. Top | #9
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,712
    Thanks
    695
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Hereís the situation - I have a set of winter wheels and tires for my pickup. I need to change the TPMS sensors to a newer version. The wheels are Ford factory stock aluminum wheels from around 2006.

    I can buy OEM takeoff sensors with stems for around $60 a set - new from the dealer are around $200. To get a shop to change them out would be around $20-$25 each. I would like to do this myself.

    I would have to break the bead only near the valve stems. Break the bead and hold it down while changing out the stems/sensors, then hopefully just air them back up and be good to go.

    I was thinking of buying this to break the bead - Harbor Freight Manual Tire Changer for $32 (after 20% coupon).

    https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html

    My idea would be to just break the bead next to the valve stem, have Mrs. C hold the bead down while I change them, then simply air them back up. A question that comes to mind is the balancing weights - I am hoping that I donít have to remove any weights so I donít have to get them rebalanced.

    Think this will work? Is there something that I am not considering?

    If I can do this myself as explained it will cost me roughly $100 including the tire tool vs around $300 for dealer sensors and installation.
    Stan,

    Here are a couple of suggestions:

    https://beadbuster.com/product-category/beadbreakers/

    https://beadbuster.com/product/beadbuster-xb-450/

    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,235
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 84 Times in 80 Posts
    Check out BeadBuster. They have a slick little tool for breaking the bead on pretty much any type of tire. I've seen videos of them used on farm tractor tires with ease. That tool would probably work pretty slick for you to break the bead just near the valve stem so you could get access. I watch a YT channel called Guy in WY and they have a 10% off discount going right now. That's the code: "GUYINWY".

    https://beadbuster.com/

    Rob
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

    2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts