• 1 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 1 Post By 12dbsinad

Thread: Any horse owners? Looking for suggestions on BP trailer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks

Any horse owners? Looking for suggestions on BP trailer

My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 2 or 3 horse bumper pull trailer with living quarters. I understand a gooseneck would be the ideal trailer, but our tow vehicles are not equipped, and I like the idea of the trailer being universal with standard towing packages. Right now we travel with a 2 stall, but during fair season like the idea of the LQ (especially with your own bathroom!)

My question is trailer tongue weight. I have heard some negatives from a certain manufacturer about bumper pull LQ trailers. Just looking to see if anyone here owns one and their experience with them. We are looking at Dixie Star trailers.

Thanks!
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 3 horse GN - no living quarters, just dressing area and clothes hanger rail (I have slept in the over-bed deck but it's not for more than a night or two) I pull it with a Dodge 3500 dually. Pros with the GN are, IMHO, stability on the road - less/little sway or up/down bounce. The horses get a smoother ride, I believe. GN's are generally slant load for the horses and they say the horses ride better in a slant than in a straight line of travel configuration. They can lean and brace better in a slant, I would guess.

Cons' are weight - must have a more powerful tow vehicle. In our part of the country Dodge and Ford dominate - occasionally Chevy or GMC. Tracking takes a little getting used to and planning for. A GN will 'cut the corner' when turning say a 90* corner and doesn't follow the exact track of your tow vehicle - a bumper pull will more closely follow and track the tow vehicle. GN's are more difficult to hook up. You have to get in the truck bed and hook up safety chains, latch coupling, that kind of thing.

I don't do a much hauling over 100 miles - just to local jackpots, etc. And maybe three times a month in the summer - less in the winter.

Hope that gives you a little info. Let me know if you have any questions that I might help with.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rope_Chucker For This Useful Post:

12dbsinad (08-14-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
    My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 2 or 3 horse bumper pull trailer with living quarters. I understand a gooseneck would be the ideal trailer, but our tow vehicles are not equipped, and I like the idea of the trailer being universal with standard towing packages. Right now we travel with a 2 stall, but during fair season like the idea of the LQ (especially with your own bathroom!)

My question is trailer tongue weight. I have heard some negatives from a certain manufacturer about bumper pull LQ trailers. Just looking to see if anyone here owns one and their experience with them. We are looking at Dixie Star trailers.

Thanks!
    Could you please add some information about your tow vehicle?

I took a quick look at a 2 horse with living quarters trailer on the Dixie Star web site. Empty weight is 5,000 lbs, and it's about 20 feet long. So you'll be towing a trailer about twice as long as your current horse trailer. Loaded, it will be about the same as towing a 20 foot equipment trailer, without the same rear vision and with more air resistance.

My initial reaction is that if you have the correct tow vehicle/towing package, you will be fine.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    One more thing to consider if you opt for a three horse trailer -especially a bumper, is the weight of trailer, horses, water, hay, etc. in relation to your tow vehicle. That much weight on pumper pull will be felt in the steering/handling.That's where GN and the one ton dually excels, too. The weight distribution on the GN is over the rear wheels - a bumper pull is loading behind the rear wheels and reducing the weight on the front end steering and braking.

Here's a source for reliable advice, Kent Sundling aka Mr. Truck He does a lot of testing and writing of trucks/trailers and knows what he's talking about. You might take a look there.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Could you please add some information about your tow vehicle?

I took a quick look at a 2 horse with living quarters trailer on the Dixie Star web site. Empty weight is 5,000 lbs, and it's about 20 feet long. So you'll be towing a trailer about twice as long as your current horse trailer. Loaded, it will be about the same as towing a 20 foot equipment trailer, without the same rear vision and with more air resistance.

My initial reaction is that if you have the correct tow vehicle/towing package, you will be fine.
    Both of my trucks are GMC 2500HD's, gas. One is a 2005 and the other is a 2018. Both with tow package. Most of my trips are relatively local, less than 200 miles one way.

Tongue weight seems to be pretty heavy on these, less with horses loaded. Somewhere around 1000 pounds. 10% would be a 10,000 trailer weight.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    One more thing to consider if you opt for a three horse trailer -especially a bumper, is the weight of trailer, horses, water, hay, etc. in relation to your tow vehicle. That much weight on pumper pull will be felt in the steering/handling.That's where GN and the one ton dually excels, too. The weight distribution on the GN is over the rear wheels - a bumper pull is loading behind the rear wheels and reducing the weight on the front end steering and braking.

Here's a source for reliable advice, Kent Sundling aka Mr. Truck He does a lot of testing and writing of trucks/trailers and knows what he's talking about. You might take a look there.
    Thanks!

Not sure about a three horse, they get pretty pricey awfully fast. Well, I should say it got pricey when the wife saw the "slide out".

Right now we only trailer our 2 show pieces, there has been talk about adding a third, but between my full time job I don't know if I can handle much more!
    Rope_Chucker and RetiredDoc like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    I think Mr. Truck's videos have really diminished lately in quality information. He seems to get a new truck to evaluate, and then spends a 30 minute video reading the specs from the window sticker while a young woman drives him around. A few years ago he seemed much sharper and better prepared. The guys on The Fast Lane Truck (TFL Truck) on YouTube do a better job, since they run real towing tests and compare tow vehicle data. Frequently they have Mr. Truck as the driver.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
    Both of my trucks are GMC 2500HD's, gas. One is a 2005 and the other is a 2018. Both with tow package. Most of my trips are relatively local, less than 200 miles one way.

Tongue weight seems to be pretty heavy on these, less with horses loaded. Somewhere around 1000 pounds. 10% would be a 10,000 trailer weight.
    I have a 2017 GMC 2500HD 6L gas engine. I would not hesitate to take my horses on the road towing the 2 horse LQ bumper pull trailer I saw on line.

If I lived at a higher altitude (my elevation is 300 feet above sea level) or in a hilly or mountainous part of the country I'd have bought a diesel. But, the country for 200 miles around me is pretty flat. I have a gooseneck hitch, but for now I am sticking with bumper pull since my backup tow vehicle is a SUV.

For bumper pulling, I really like the Andersen weight distributing hitch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	643420
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 08-15-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    12dbsinad likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have a 2017 GMC 2500HD 6L gas engine. I would not hesitate to take my horses on the road towing the 2 horse LQ bumper pull trailer I saw on line.

If I lived at a higher altitude (my elevation is 300 feet above sea level) or in a hilly or mountainous part of the country I'd have bought a diesel. But, the country for 200 miles around me is pretty flat.
    Yeah, Buying a new truck, I couldn't really justify buying a duramax. Around here rust kills them before the motor dies, typically. Having had my 05 with the 6L and ZERO motor trouble (besides the famous exhaust manifold bolts) the truck is starting to show some rust, runs great though and I'll get every last penny out of her. Also, for the amount and distance I tow I can take the 10-15 MPH decrease in speed on the steep hills VS a diesel. I've always kept an eye on trans temp as that will be the thing that you'll burn out before the motor... never have had a problem.

I have a gooseneck hitch, but for now I am sticking with bumper pull since my backup tow vehicle is a SUV.
    This is the exact reason I'm looking at bumper pulls. That, and there are much cheaper than a GN. I like the fact that anyone with a 3/4 ton pickup or larger with a standard 2 or 2.5" receiver, standard 7 way flat w/ trailer brakes can hook up and go..

Plus, We are just small hobbyist really. We are in no way large scale.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by 12dbsinad; 08-15-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    RetiredDoc likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements