• 5 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 1 Post By meburdick

Thread: Fore and Aft tips and tricks needed. 3046r on 22' tilt bed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-10-2019 @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks

Fore and Aft tips and tricks needed. 3046r on 22' tilt bed

Hauling my 3046r w/front loader and box blade to our new place 400+ miles away. Have a 22' finish line BP tilt bed and 3/4 GMC 6l. Are there easy ways to figure out the best placement of the tractor on the trailer?

Rear tires are fluid filled on tractor - how does that change the equations?
    Herminator likes this.
    2017 3046r Open Station
    H165 FEL w/ 2 KBOGH & clevis combos
    Frontier 2065 Box Blade
    *not mechanically inclined*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    This is one of those "fly by the seat of your pants" thing. Best you can do is make sure you keep significant weight on the tongue. Measure the drop at the hitch of the tow vehicle before and after loading to get an idea of the weight added. Better a little too much tongue weight than too little.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    With my 955 with loaded tires on my 14' trailer without the FEL, I center the tractor rear axle just ahead of the tandem axle centerline, not quite over the front axle. With the FEL, I have to load it backwards, and place the center of the tractor over the front axle. With the box blade, you may want to move it ahead slightly, but i wouldn't go too far. As the previous poster noted this is a seat of your pants thing until you get comfortable with it.

You have the advantage of a long deck that I don't have but wish I had with my trailer.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Kennyd, BillieS, keane and 2 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    This is one of those "fly by the seat of your pants" thing. Best you can do is make sure you keep significant weight on the tongue. Measure the drop at the hitch of the tow vehicle before and after loading to get an idea of the weight added. Better a little too much tongue weight than too little.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk
    Agreed.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Measure the "squat" in the rear of the tow vehicle by measuring the height of the rear wheel wells. Also measure the change in height of the front wheel wells.

You want the tongue weight to be as "correct" as possible - too little and you're going to have problems with acceleration and the rear end of the tow vehicle being stable. Too much and you're going to have issues with steering and braking.

You'll need to load it up and drive it to see how it feels unless you can get everything to a set of scales.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I like the scale.

I learnt to cross, but not to twist, safety chains later in life, contrary to how the U-Haul guy once connected their trailer to our truck.

https://mechanicalelements.com/twisting-safety-chains/

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    I like the scale.

I learnt to cross, but not to twist, safety chains later in life, contrary to how the U-Haul guy once connected their trailer to our truck.

https://mechanicalelements.com/twisting-safety-chains/
    Thanks. I tow this trailer with 3 different vehicles. This is the shortest chain length, the other two vehicle chain hook points require longer safety chains. Ideally, I'd need three sets of safety chains, and would have to unbolt one set and bolt on a new set every time I changed tow trucks.

I checked on line about regulations and recomendations, and using a pair of zip ties to shorten the chains without twisting is a recommended way.

Is this OK?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1085.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	648936
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    I have a tilt deck trailer, 20ft. Like most tilt trailers I have seen the wheels are placed farther forward on the frame to allow a better pivot point for the tilt. This means that the load has to be placed farther forward than normal. Too little tongue weight on my trailer and it tows like crap, too much, well, I don't think I've ever had too much with that trailer......

As long as the rear wheels of the tractor are equal or forward of the rear most trailer axle you should be good to go.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements