Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Need advice on safety chain attachment point on travel trailer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

Need advice on safety chain attachment point on travel trailer

Hey all,

I know we have a bunch of hauling gurus here as well as some safety Sallys. The wife and I just purchased a used travel trailer, a 2008 Jayco JayFeather 19H.

When I picked it up last week I did not really take the time to set up the WD hitch properly figuring it was close enough for the 15 mile ride home. I did however notice that the safety chains were way to short for my truck, if I do not line up perfect than there is no way to hook them or unhook them. This Sunday I took the time to properly set it up for my truck. While I was adjusting the hitch and I got to looking at the tongue of trailer. This doesn't look like what would would have come from the factory. If anyone has the same or similar trailer I would be interested to see what yours looks like.

If you look close enough you can see that the bottom plate for the jack has been bent, not sure if I did it or the former owner did but it is no doubt from the chains being to short.

Here are several other pics of the tongue to give you some idea of what I'm working with.

I may try and take it to a Jayco dealer and see what they think, if not I will probably have some one weld of some sort of d-ring or other affaire along the same lines onto the frame.

Also is there a good rule of thumb on how long the chains should be? I don't want to order way more than I need.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-09-22 17.13.35.jpg   2018-09-24 13.21.01.jpg   2018-09-24 13.29.06.jpg   2018-09-24 13.28.54.jpg   2018-09-24 13.24.06.jpg  

2018-09-24 13.23.49.jpg  
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    Hey all,

I know we have a bunch of hauling gurus here as well as some safety Sallys. The wife and I just purchased a used travel trailer, a 2008 Jayco JayFeather 19H.

When I picked it up last week I did not really take the time to set up the WD hitch properly figuring it was close enough for the 15 mile ride home. I did however notice that the safety chains were way to short for my truck, if I do not line up perfect than there is no way to hook them or unhook them. This Sunday I took the time to properly set it up for my truck. While I was adjusting the hitch and I got to looking at the tongue of trailer. This doesn't look like what would would have come from the factory. If anyone has the same or similar trailer I would be interested to see what yours looks like.

If you look close enough you can see that the bottom plate for the jack has been bent, not sure if I did it or the former owner did but it is no doubt from the chains being to short.

Here are several other pics of the tongue to give you some idea of what I'm working with.

I may try and take it to a Jayco dealer and see what they think, if not I will probably have some one weld of some sort of d-ring or other affaire along the same lines onto the frame.

Also is there a good rule of thumb on how long the chains should be? I don't want to order way more than I need.

Thanks
    That trailer is light enough that you probably don't need a WD hitch.

Looking at the pics i see everything but the ball mount. How far does it extend out. Maybe that is why the chains are too short. The chains need to be just long enough to hook them, while having enough slack to dangle below the tongue and allow turning and crossing them under the tongue in an x pattern.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    What Dave said. And the chains should be welded onto the trailer frame. I can't really tell what you have going on there.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    That trailer is light enough that you probably don't need a WD hitch.

Looking at the pics i see everything but the ball mount. How far does it extend out. Maybe that is why the chains are too short. The chains need to be just long enough to hook them, while having enough slack to dangle below the tongue and allow turning and crossing them under the tongue in an x pattern.

Dave

Dave,

The trailer dry weighs 3,565 lbs. with a tongue weight of 435 lbs. and GVW of 4,750. So, I would agree that I probably don't need the WD hitch. I did get the hitch with the trailer and it has an anti-sway device built in so would like to use it. The hitch is a Curt 6,000 lbs. model 17000.

This morning I took a look and some measurements this morning and are as follows:

• The chains extend 18.5in from the center-line of the coupler.
    • The Curt Hitch is 12.75in from the receiver pin to the center of the ball. (I have 2 other ball mounts for comparison are 8.5in and 10in from receiver pin to center of the ball.)
    • The safety-chain connection on my truck to the receiver pin is 3in.

So basically I have less 3in of excess chain, it is not even possible to cross the chains under the tongue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17000_3008x1990_i.jpg  
    ColonyPark, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    in ur first pics-is the chain welded behind the jack-or is it just bolted to the bolts that hold the jack?
    now in the pic u show of the curt WD -it clearly shows ur safely chains on outside edge of trailer hitch. that's the same place we welded my new chains too also. same place the factory had them from new.

so maybe all ya need to do-to make them longer-is to remove them from behind the jack-like now---and have them welded to the outside of hitch-and i think then they would be long enough to cross them too. just my thoughts. or 2cts
    i went back and looked at the pics again--and i bet the owner had no welder-so they drilled them 2 holes in the jack stand plate-and bolted the chain to it-thus making the chains to short for say maybe another type of truck. unbolt them, and weld them on outside of frame rails of the trailer frame--
    Last edited by BigJim55; 09-25-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    Robnik and Fozsey like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    The chains need to be crossed under the tongue. This is the correct way to attach them as it allow for the chains to be the correct length for the tightest of turns without ever dragging on the ground in any position. If you're good with math, you'll understand the numbers behind why crossing them achieves this.

The WDH extending out further than the stock position of a ball mount will mean that you need longer chains.

Regardless of what you meant by it, referring to folks as "Safety Sally's" gives the impression that you are NOT focused on safety when towing - and you absolutely should be. Your life, and that of everyone on the road with you wherever you are, may depend on that focus.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Dave,

The trailer dry weighs 3,565 lbs. with a tongue weight of 435 lbs. and GVW of 4,750. So, I would agree that I probably don't need the WD hitch. I did get the hitch with the trailer and it has an anti-sway device built in so would like to use it. The hitch is a Curt 6,000 lbs. model 17000.

This morning I took a look and some measurements this morning and are as follows:

• The chains extend 18.5in from the center-line of the coupler.
    • The Curt Hitch is 12.75in from the receiver pin to the center of the ball. (I have 2 other ball mounts for comparison are 8.5in and 10in from receiver pin to center of the ball.)
    • The safety-chain connection on my truck to the receiver pin is 3in.

So basically I have less 3in of excess chain, it is not even possible to cross the chains under the tongue.
    It is typical of the WD hitches to extend further. That extra 4 inches makes a big difference. You will have to either use a standard ball mount or mount longer chains. Since the trailer is lighter than the tow vehicle i would go with a standard ball mount and forget about the sway bar. If the trailer was heavier than the tow vehicle i would likely want the sway bar. Just make sure the standard ball mount has a high enough rating for this trailer. Also the hitch ball. If you feel the front end of the tow vehicle bounces up and down too much, then you might want to reconsider.

Dave

BigJim55, Marlin, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    in ur first pics-is the chain welded behind the jack-or is it just bolted to the bolts that hold the jack?
    It is just bolted with what looks like standard grade bolts, hence my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    The chains need to be crossed under the tongue. This is the correct way to attach them as it allow for the chains to be the correct length for the tightest of turns without ever dragging on the ground in any position. If you're good with math, you'll understand the numbers behind why crossing them achieves this.

The WDH extending out further than the stock position of a ball mount will mean that you need longer chains.
    I don't think if I used a standard ball mount that the chains would be long enough to cross.

Regardless of what you meant by it, referring to folks as "Safety Sally's" gives the impression that you are NOT focused on safety when towing - and you absolutely should be. Your life, and that of everyone on the road with you wherever you are, may depend on that focus.
    I would not be here asking for advice on how to remedy the issue if I was not concerned with the safety of my family and everyone around me. So with said, with what and where on the trailer should I have chains welded?
    ColonyPark, Marlin, Robnik and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    It is just bolted with what looks like standard grade bolts, hence my concern.
    You -might- be able to get a smart phone positioned in there in such a way to take a picture of the head of the bolt. Look for markings that might indicate that it's either Grade 5 or Grade 8. Anything else, and the chains are probably not terribly useful because the attaching bolt would likely not hold up under any sort of strain.

I don't think if I used a standard ball mount that the chains would be long enough to cross.
    Given that the entirety of the mounting and such appears that it may not be original, it's completely possible that the previous owner pulled the original chains and replaced them (possibly because they rusted out or were way too long and got ground down from being dragged).

I would not be here asking for advice on how to remedy the issue if I was not concerned with the safety of my family and everyone around me. So with said, with what and where on the trailer should I have chains welded?
    I didn't say you weren't interested in being safe, I merely pointed out that your wording gave that impression.

In terms of figuring out the situation and remedying it, there are some steps that I would take..

- Call the person you bought it from (assuming it was a private sale). Ask about the chains, mentioning that they appear to have possibly been replaced and do they have any additional info they could share. Maybe ask who did or whatever since you may need to further alter for your own towing setup. If you approach it like "Hey, I'm hoping you could help me out" they would probably share. If it's more of a "WTF did you do?", they'll probably just hang up. lol

- Find a dealer that can get parts. Research the original hitch pieces and chains, and see if they have exploded diagrams that show how they are to be installed.

- Reach out to the manufacturer and ask about detail photos or exploded diagrams that show what the setup should look like.

I found a manual online for that trailer, but they use generic drawings and it does not give any real useful info as to how the chains are supposed to be set up.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks

- Call the person you bought it from (assuming it was a private sale). Ask about the chains, mentioning that they appear to have possibly been replaced and do they have any additional info they could share. Maybe ask who did or whatever since you may need to further alter for your own towing setup. If you approach it like "Hey, I'm hoping you could help me out" they would probably share. If it's more of a "WTF did you do?", they'll probably just hang up. lol

- Find a dealer that can get parts. Research the original hitch pieces and chains, and see if they have exploded diagrams that show how they are to be installed.

- Reach out to the manufacturer and ask about detail photos or exploded diagrams that show what the setup should look like.

I found a manual online for that trailer, but they use generic drawings and it does not give any real useful info as to how the chains are supposed to be set up.

The I asked the former owner why the chains were so short, he stated it was like that when he purchased the trailer 2 years prior. Sad thing is I think he purchased it used from a dealer.

I put in a call to Jayco, we see what info they can provide when the tech calls back.
    Marlin likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast