• 1 Post By AlKozak

Thread: Need recommendation for spray-on rust converter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts

Need recommendation for spray-on rust converter

Due to always being parked outdoors the underside of my trailer and vehicle is starting to develop some rust on various suspension components, fasteners, etc. I'm looking for recommendations for a spray on rust converter. I'm limited to what I can access while on standard car ramps so I can't really get at the areas to clean them so I'm just looking for something I can spray on which will neutralize rust and perhaps slow down the progression. I don't plan to paint anything afterwards.

Anything out there that does a good job under these conditions?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    POR-15. Can be thinned and sprayed if you have spray equipment. Using rattle cans of it will be expensive as they are around $20 each.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    POR-15. Can be thinned and sprayed if you have spray equipment. Using rattle cans of it will be expensive as they are around $20 each.
    I definitely need something in rattle cans. I'm not looking to coat the whole vehicle, just the rusty spots.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    I have had good luck with the RustOleum product. Turns black instantly and seems to hold up. Not good luck with the Krylon
    Mark --

JD 2520
    BH 46
    FEL 200CX

Woodmax PTO chipper - WC68

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    I've used this and it works. Plus Eastwood is a quality company.

Don't believe the "ready to paint" crap. Yes, it is ready if you don't care how it looks afterwards. I use the brush on stuff. For auto body repair it will convert Fe2O3 to a neutral substance that will keep the rust from spreading, but after it does its thing you sand it flush, fill and paint.

See here for a complete list of professional products.

For undercarriage work you're probably not worried about the appearance...

Al
    Last edited by AlKozak; 10-06-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    BigJim55, Ray_PA and blue87fj60 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, if you have anything other than light surface rust, it will require some work to clean it before coating it, or at best youíve only slowed it down slightly.
    POR-15 or KBS Coatings are both awesome, but require some prep to work properly.

Iím actually in a similar situation with a rotary mower as I donít want to do a ton of prep, so Iíve decided on the Rustoleum rust converter.
    It would likely help you, but it really should be topcoated with some type of paint for best results. I believe the issue is that once itís done, itís still a somewhat porous coating, so it doesnít stop moisture nearly as well as paint.

Would it be possible to hit the scaley rust with a wire brush first? That would help tremendously, if there is any.
    Also any cheap spray paint or, even better, undercoating, would work great to prevent more rust if you could spray it on after the converter has done its thing.

All that said, there are heavy wax type coatings that you could spray right over all of it, but if moisture is trapped behind it, the rust will keep spreading just as fast.
    In that same line of thinking, Fluid Film works ok, but doesnít hold up too long wjen exposed to the weather.

I did watch a video about this before I picked the rustoleum stuff that was about an oil type product. Iíll see if I can find it.
    Pretty sure when I looked it up for the price it was considerably more expensive than the route I chose, and had to have special equipment to spray it on.
    jgayman likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Here is a short video demonstrating the use of Eastwood products on a rusted chassis member.

Al
    jgayman likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements