Why would a trailer manufacturer (loadrite) install these rear lamps?
Like Tree32Likes
  • 3 Post By LoneStranger
  • 5 Post By WifeSaidOK
  • 8 Post By Levi
  • 8 Post By etcallhome
  • 4 Post By MeagerHair
  • 2 Post By firemachine69
  • 1 Post By IndianaJim
  • 1 Post By meburdick

Thread: Why would a trailer manufacturer (loadrite) install these rear lamps?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

Why would a trailer manufacturer (loadrite) install these rear lamps?

I have repeatedly seen trailers boat and PWC trailers equipped with mostly Optronics rear lamps fail on the road. Just last weekend I'm following a trailered Seadoo and the left rear lamp is blinking intermittently. A friend had the same problem as were loading his SeaDoos onto his trailer and I took a harder look only to find that 1. the sockets to the lamps had rotted and 2. there are voids throughout the housing that allow water to seep in!! I must be missing something because this is a routine install on new trailers but it would appear that sealed lamps would be the better option! If I'm missing something, please fire away; if not, when you go to buy a watercraft trailer, it might be a good idea to insist on sealed incandescent or LED lamps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1513.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	653788 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1514.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	653790
    Last edited by LoneStranger; 10-22-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Tomfive, Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    60" Everything Attachments aerator
    Cyclone Rake (Original) w 3 pt hitch
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Thanks
    I had the same lights on my Load Rite trailer that I use to haul around my Sea Doo. They don't last long, a couple years. They do hold up a little bit better if you unplug the harness before dipping the lights in the water (cold water/hot bulb). With that said, I replaced mine with sealed LEDs 5 or so years ago, and have had no issues with them.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WifeSaidOK For This Useful Post:

LoneStranger (10-23-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    These are the lights most trailer use. It's also what keeps the after market in business.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    The seller needs to make money, so the cheapest lights they can find will be used. My God it might cost them $5.00 to put on better lights.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    My left signal went out on my utility trailer after 10 years. New bulb was no help. It was pretty rotted inside.

I put on new LED lights and yet it would not flash. So I ripped the old harness out of the trailer, wire was brittle and nasty. Put in a new and new top of the line sealed harness. Still no turn signal.

Put the tester on the hitch connector and yup no flash. New flasher relay in the Nissan and I’m all set trailer lights work well.

If I had done the test n the Nissan I would not have had all of the fun rewiring trailer along with a nicely rewired trailer.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    The seller needs to make money, so the cheapest lights they can find will be used. My God it might cost them $5.00 to put on better lights.

Just about every trailer manufacturer around here has an LED light option.

Some charge an exorbitant price for it, most just charge the price difference.
    Levi and LoneStranger like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Common problem with boat trailers.
    Lights arent completely sealed, and people tend to like to keep their trailers under water for extended periods of time. Sometimes its necessary. It doesnt do the lights or the harness any good at all.
    It also doesnt do the wheel bearings any good either.
    Well, I guess its a problem inherent with non-sealed type lights. Boat trailers just experience issues much faster by nature.
    Personally, I change out all lights to LED as soon as possible after buying a trailer.
    I dont pay a premium for it, as I know what lights I want, and they are generally better and cheaper than having someone else do it.

As to why, they have been using that style light forever. You can still buy them about anywhere lights are sold, so in that case, it makes sense. If you break one, its a simple replacement.
    If you break an LED, they arent all the same. Replacing the cheapie light is just that. Cheap. Replacing an LED not so much.
    And LOTS of people with trailers seem to like to run them into things fairly regularly.
    Levi likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Pretty much anything you can buy has two options: Base, and "with options." Base is bare bones, lowest cost (allows for profit), meets minimum criteria, and has been validated to have a very high chance of surviving through the warranty period.

If you want better, you need to add options. These can be manufacturer-provided, dealer-installed, or DIY. If you want more reliable lights, buy them. That's just pretty much how it goes.
    IndianaJim likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements