Anyone have experience with Kaufman trailers?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Anyone have experience with Kaufman trailers?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks

Anyone have experience with Kaufman trailers?

Hiya,

Looking at trailers and I keep seeing a lot of Kaufman trailers showing up around here the last couple years. Anyone have a recently made Kaufman and can relate build quality, strength and value?

Their prices are lower as they sell direct, even with shipping to me, it's anywhere between $900 and $1600 less than other brands like Big Tex, Load Trail and PJ.

Here's the 2 I'm looking at with a case of optional paralysis

15,000 GVWR / 22 ft. Diamond Floor Tilt Car Trailer - DELUXE - Kaufman Trailers

15000 GVWR Deluxe Diamond Floor Tilt Equipment Trailer by Kaufman
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    Not familiar with that brand but this may be one reason that Load Trails cost more. There are several trailer manufacturers over in northeast Texas with Load Trail being one, they were recently raided by ICE who scooped up 150 of their employees who were illegal aliens. Their production has been down ever since, some say by 40%. Plus they've had to pay hefty fines in the past for hiring illegals.

ICE raids Load Trail
    '
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Brother has one

My brother bought a Kaufman 24' gooseneck this year and so far has been pleased with it. It tows well and we just towed it over 1,800 miles with my 790 and associated gear on it. The only issues so far were that one connection on the rear lights needed fixing and one axle castle nut was one castellation too tight and needed to be loosened. That hub ran just slightly hotter than the others- not terrible but you could feel the difference.

I don't know about the trailers overall but his has been very serviceable whether hauling equipment or hay.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55, SulleyBear and Robnik like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    They’ve been around awhile and make tractor trailers too even fifth wheel heavy equipment lowboys
    BigJim55, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

Looking at trailers and I keep seeing a lot of Kaufman trailers showing up around here the last couple years. Anyone have a recently made Kaufman and can relate build quality, strength and value?

Their prices are lower as they sell direct, even with shipping to me, it's anywhere between $900 and $1600 less than other brands like Big Tex, Load Trail and PJ.

Here's the 2 I'm looking at with a case of optional paralysis

15,000 GVWR / 22 ft. Diamond Floor Tilt Car Trailer - DELUXE - Kaufman Trailers

15000 GVWR Deluxe Diamond Floor Tilt Equipment Trailer by Kaufman
    First, I used to own a trailer dealership (actually, it was in my wife's name, much to her chagrin....) and the price on those trailers is very good. Typically, the gross mark up in trailers of that type is about 15% to 22%, depending upon the brand, etc. The real killer in the trailer business is the delivery so as a dealer, the only way to make money is to purchase stacks of them all at once so minimize the freight. Depending upon location, some of the delivery / freight charges could be 25% of the dealers cost of the trailer.....

That's a heavy duty trailer with the right load rating, 7,000lb axles, etc. That style of tilt bed is a great trailer to haul things on. Beaver tails reduce usable trailer deck length and they also make loading and unloading things harder. The flat bed tilt deck is a very popular quality trailer. Note how the rear edge meets the ground. You can winch anything which won't run onto the trailer or pull it with a tractor, etc.

The diamond plate surface requires you to be careful walking on it in the wet conditions as it will get very slick, but its the most durable surface and you can secure tie downs where you need them to make hauling stuff as safe as possible. Chances are you will need to add tie down points to best suit the items you haul. Its always better to add tie downs right where they are needed verses to have to stretch tie down straps to reach an out of the way tie down point.

Kaufmann has a good reputation in the trailer industry, however, they are not well regarded by some dealers who don't like the fact they sell direct to consumers. I understand both sides of that argument. Their quality I have seen in their trailers is just fine.

Things to look for when considering a trailer.. And these are the DEAL KILLERS I would walk away from;

1. Any unpainted surfaces anywhere. Look at the trailers sold at TSC, Home Depot, etc and most undersides will have bare metal. Not good.

2. The use of electrical scotch locks. Nothing but trouble for electrical gremlins down the road. Using them is the easy way, not the RIGHT way to wire something.

3. Holes in the trailer through which wires pass that do not have a rubber grommet or other protective sleeve around the wire. Trouble waiting to happen.

4. Welds which resemble chicken droppings.......(Unless chicken were employed to weld and they make terrible welders.....)

5. Sloppy material cuts.

6. No name axles without the ability to grease the hub bearings......

7. The use of incandescent 12 volt lights....(basically anything other than LED lights)

8. Mismatched tire brands and models or even used tires....and the same with wheels. You would be surprised how many trailers are sold with "take off" tires from something else (even mobile home tires......)

This is the immediate list that comes to mind. If I see any of the above, I move along.....

I used to tour trailer factories to consider the brands I would represent. You would be amazed at how some are built.

Kaufmann is a quality trailer and the price on the tilt bed I looked at was very good.

One more thing, while the warranty is a sign of the manufacturers confidence in their product, warranty repairs on trailers are quite unusual. We would have maybe 1 warranty repair claim per 100 trailers sold......and even then, they were usually something minor. So, while the manufacturers warranty on the trailer is something to consider, if you are buying a quality unit, you likely will never need any warranty service.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can answer. I might not see the question posted on the tread if I don't revisit it......
    mjncad, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (10-25-2018), mjncad (10-26-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    i used to watch a trucker who was out of Canada, he bought one of Kaufman's 5o or 55 ton lowboys. after running it for a while-something happened to it in California i think. kaufman paid for him to dead head from there to their shop, in SC. there they looked at it-and decided to give him a whole new low boy. he never really said what happened to it-but it must of been something terrible-to give him a whole new low boy then.
    he hauled heavy equipment on it every load-after that he seemed to not have any more trouble. at least they kept their promise of warranty for him.

i would love to have a tilt deck-after all these yrs of having just a land scrapper trailer. just pull that latch and back off or pull on it. would be nice for sure. but i think i would go with a wood floor if possible, i hate to walk on them floors if wet.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i used to watch a trucker who was out of Canada, he bought one of Kaufman's 5o or 55 ton lowboys. after running it for a while-something happened to it in California i think. kaufman paid for him to dead head from there to their shop, in SC. there they looked at it-and decided to give him a whole new low boy. he never really said what happened to it-but it must of been something terrible-to give him a whole new low boy then.
    he hauled heavy equipment on it every load-after that he seemed to not have any more trouble. at least they kept their promise of warranty for him.

i would love to have a tilt deck-after all these yrs of having just a land scrapper trailer. just pull that latch and back off or pull on it. would be nice for sure. but i think i would go with a wood floor if possible, i hate to walk on them floors if wet.
    That right there would make me want to buy one from them.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Thanks for the info and options guys, I'll defiantly go with Kaufman.

Now, I'm tending to the full tilt unless someone here has a compelling reason why the split is the better choice.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    We have two- a 20+4 gooseneck, and a 16' gooseneck dump trailer. They are well built trailers, and work fine. One sore point, though, and in hind sight, would make a difference in deciding on them- they are poorly painted. They spray two coats of automotive paint, but the don't prime them. And, the auto paint must be some cheap stuff- it doesn't hold up in the elements.
    They are good people, as indicated in above posts. They called once or twice the first year, to check on the trailers. I do believe that they are honorable, but there is a reason that their price is lower- they don't put as much into the finish, as do the companies who powdercoat.
    Last edited by hodge; 10-27-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post

I had metal deck 20 ft tilt trailer and I now own a wood deck utility trailer. I much prefer the metal deck trailer. I never slipped on it as it was diamond plate. I just had to replace the wood in my utility trailer as it rotted out in 3 years of ownership. I have been wanting another tilt deck trailer and these Kaufman's look nice. I have seen several around here in NC, they appear to be well built but I have never looked at them up close.

As for beaver tail deck my tilt deck had one. They are very useful when loading. They are normally only the last two feet so you are not putting a whole lot of cargo on there anyways. In the case of a tractor I could only envision only maybe the back end of a rotary cutter some other implement attached to the tractor.

One thing I would try and get on your trailer stake pockets so you can build side walls if you want. I did that with my tilt deck so I could haul firewood and other cargo that needed side walls as opposed to tying down.

I see on the website the 15k tilt deck comes with a warning of a rougher ride than the other tilt decks. You may want to take that into consideration as a factor in your buying decision unless you have to have a 15k rated trailer.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast