Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Everything look ok?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-06-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks

Everything look ok?

Hi all,

Just hoping to get some experienced perspective on my towing situation before I hit the road for the first time.

I'm planning on towing my 4310 with a 420 loader and a 48 backhoe attachment. I figure the total cargo weight is around 6k and my trailer is 14ft with a 7k capacity. I used two ratchet straps that have a WLL of 1,660 lb each and are hooked to the front end of the frame, and I put chains in the rear attached to the backhoe with a WLL of 3,400 lb. I'll be tugging with my Ford F-350

Am I ok to go? Thoughts?

Happy to hear any feedback and advice, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7940.JPG   IMG_7941.JPG   IMG_7942.JPG   IMG_7943.JPG  
    Levi, Robnik, Herminator and 3 others like this.
    4310 LCUT ePowrReverser
    48 Backhoe
    655 Rotary Tiller
    Tartar Rotary Mower
    More soon hopefully

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    If it was me, I'd also strap the bucket down for good measure.
    keane, Robnik, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure where you'll be traveling but in some States the police will ticket you for hanging beyond the bed (in your case, on both ends) of the trailer.

I figure the total cargo weight is around 6k and my trailer is 14ft with a 7k capacity.
    If that's true you're over-weight. That trailer itself weighs more than 1K lbs.

Not trying to bust your chops here but if they stop you for hanging over the bed of the trailer, you can bet they are going to start looking at weights while they have you stopped. Be ready with answers.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I don’t mean to be the trailer safety police but used to do this for a living....

Your front tie down is actually on the loader frame - not the machine frame.

Your rear tie down is on the backhoe frame - not the machine frame. The backhoe needs its own tiedown besides a tie down on the rear frame of the tractor itself.

The backhoe bucket should be flat on the bed - you are depending on the pins to hold the backhoe up in the air.

The front bucket should also be flat on the bed with its own tie down.

So there you have it from a DOT perspective. Will you be OK? Likely yes. I am citing what a DOT officer would say if you were inspected in a commercial environment.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

mjncad (10-30-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    That single front strap is not sufficient, you said you had two on them but I only see one? Even with two they are undersized. You'll need two, 2" 10k rated ones to be safe IMHO.

What chain are you using with a WLL of only 3,400lbs?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Above advice is good info. If you're truly at 6,000# weight of the tractor then that's technically over the capacity of the trailer because the trailer probably weighs about 2,000#. Will it work anyway? Probably, but if the trailer isn't in perfect condition or if the roads aren't the greatest you are at risk. However, looking at specs for the 4310 on tractordata.com it shows the tractor itself at 2,900#. I don't know how much the backhoe adds but I'd find it hard to believe that the loader, backhoe, ballast and liquids in the tractor add another 3,000#. So you're actually probably not over the trailer capacity.

The other things mentioned about tying down are valid. Best practice is to have separate strapping for the loader and the backhoe too. I'd use axle straps for the front, myself, but as long as you have it hooked to something frame-related its fine. The last point is that as far forward as you have the tractor on the trailer it may have more than the recommended 10-15% tongue weight. More is better than less but just FYI.

Rob
    Herminator, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    JimR - When we brought my 4720/FEL to our farm four years ago, an experienced JD hauler loaded it onto the trailer that we used, which had ample capacity and length. He backed the machine onto the trailer; apparently in Ohio it is illegal to haul farm machinery forward with the slow moving farm triangle facing rearward. I've not confirmed this, but I believed the guy. As I recall, we chain/boomed the loader arms and the 3 pt draft arms to secure the machine. My BIL white knuckled the 100 mile drive to the tractor's new home.

FWIW, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Not sure where you'll be traveling but in some States the police will ticket you for hanging beyond the bed (in your case, on both ends) of the trailer.

If that's true you're over-weight. That trailer itself weighs more than 1K lbs.

Not trying to bust your chops here but if they stop you for hanging over the bed of the trailer, you can bet they are going to start looking at weights while they have you stopped. Be ready with answers.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    As others have said and also do not turn to sharp or you will be running the corner of your bucket into the back of your truck.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    At that weight, here you would be required by law to use chains at the 4 corners and not straps. Overloading your trailer will be hard on your axle. It tends to make the wheels TOW in.

If you get stopped you'll need your big wallet as safety and weight violations are expensive because they are more designed for the commercial industry. And remember to tell the nice officer that you never tow for anyone else, just the stuff you own. Otherwise they will say it's commercial and ding you for not having a DOT # even though your rig is less than 26,001 pounds.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    04-06-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks all! I've never done this before so I was just starting to test how and where to tie it down.

I think the bottom line is my trailer is just too small. When I tried tying down the front axels it was impossible to get them out wide enough to make the X pattern you want without hitting the tires, and the rear axels are totally inaccessible due to the backhoe being attached. Not sure if there are other decent frame parts to attach to but the whole back end of the tractor is dominated by the backhoe, I wouldn't be able to get anything from the Axel or rear frame out backwards past the backhoe in a straight line.

As far as the tractor weight goes, 6k lbs, is the high end of my estimation. Tractor weighs 2,900 lbs, backhoe is 1,560 or something lbs, and I couldn't find the weight for the loader. I'm not very good at guesstimating so I figured it's better to round way up and expect the worse, I believe I'm right at or a little under/over the 7k lbs limit on the trailer (is there a clever way to check this with out driving to a scale?)

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I don’t mean to be the trailer safety police but used to do this for a living....

Your front tie down is actually on the loader frame - not the machine frame.

Your rear tie down is on the backhoe frame - not the machine frame. The backhoe needs its own tiedown besides a tie down on the rear frame of the tractor itself.

The backhoe bucket should be flat on the bed - you are depending on the pins to hold the backhoe up in the air.

The front bucket should also be flat on the bed with its own tie down.

So there you have it from a DOT perspective. Will you be OK? Likely yes. I am citing what a DOT officer would say if you were inspected in a commercial environment.
    I want to make sure I'm doing it right so the trailer safety police is what I came for. I really appreciate the advice . I thought the purpose for the pins were for transporting or is that just to support the backhoe while I'm driving the tractor around?

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    That single front strap is not sufficient, you said you had two on them but I only see one? Even with two they are undersized. You'll need two, 2" 10k rated ones to be safe IMHO.

What chain are you using with a WLL of only 3,400lbs?
    I actually had two straps but was in the process of dismantling when I thought to take pictures. I miss spoke on the chain, I've got 5/16 grade 43 so the WLL is actually 3,900 lbs I believe. Is 10k straps not excessive, I talked to a commercial CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer who said the combined WLL of all tie downs should be equal to the weight of the cargo. I went a over to be safe but should I go further over?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Above advice is good info. If you're truly at 6,000# weight of the tractor then that's technically over the capacity of the trailer because the trailer probably weighs about 2,000#. Will it work anyway? Probably, but if the trailer isn't in perfect condition or if the roads aren't the greatest you are at risk. However, looking at specs for the 4310 on tractordata.com it shows the tractor itself at 2,900#. I don't know how much the backhoe adds but I'd find it hard to believe that the loader, backhoe, ballast and liquids in the tractor add another 3,000#. So you're actually probably not over the trailer capacity.

The other things mentioned about tying down are valid. Best practice is to have separate strapping for the loader and the backhoe too. I'd use axle straps for the front, myself, but as long as you have it hooked to something frame-related its fine. The last point is that as far forward as you have the tractor on the trailer it may have more than the recommended 10-15% tongue weight. More is better than less but just FYI.

Rob
    It felt a little too far forward but I was thinking with the weight of the backhoe in the back I was ok, the trailer looked pretty even to me. Is there a clever way to test the tongue weight? Here is a picture of my suspension unladen, with all the tongue weight I had that little back up leaf spring was just almost touching the pad (excuse the lack of correct terminology.) Could that be a way of telling if I have to much or too little?

Thanks again all! going to start checking Craigslist for a bigger trailer... till then maybe I'll leave the backhoe at home and just take the tiller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7945.JPG  
    etcallhome and PJR832 like this.
    4310 LCUT ePowrReverser
    48 Backhoe
    655 Rotary Tiller
    Tartar Rotary Mower
    More soon hopefully

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast