Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: No Slip Trailer deck - with photos

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-23-2015 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks

No Slip Trailer deck - with photos

Ok, had a little trouble getting the 1025r up onto the trailer deck the other day. It had been raining, trailer deck was wet, and the mud in our area is quite slippery - almost greasy. Result, three tries to get the tractor up onto the deck, and didn't feel secure in the seat parking and later unloading the trailer. Trailer is a 14-footer with a standard wooden deck like this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Deck #0.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	40263
    I was at the home improvement store buying paint for the new house, and I saw this stuff from Rustoleum and after looking at the sample of the product, (you can get practically any color you wish) decided to give it a try - bought a special roller to go with it.

Name:	Trailer Deck #1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	843.3 KB 
ID:	40264 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Deck #2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	40265
    First mistake, using a plastic pouring lip on the can - this stuff is the consistency of cake batter or stucco - not at all like any paint you are used to! You practically spoon the stuff into the roller pan. It goes on THICK - and the roller works to add the texture. That works well, but the roller throws globs of that stuff EVERYWHERE! Wear a pair of pants and shoes you don't give a darn about - cause they're gonna get covered! It took a gallon and a half to give my trailer bed just one coat - gonna let it dry 48 hrs and then put down the second coat to get the final texture finish I want. You can see progress photos as I got on with the job.

Name:	Trailer Deck #3.jpg 
Size:	879.2 KB 
ID:	40266 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Deck #4.jpg 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	40267
    With a little left in the pan - and there's no putting THIS toothpaste back in the tube! - I decided to add a no-slip coat to the surfaces of the ramps as well. This photo shows the texture of the finish pretty well, too.

Name:	Trailer Deck #5.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	40268 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Deck #6.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	40269
    Final job looks pretty good - and the entire trailer deck is now a no-slip surface. This product is rated for both concrete and wood decks and fills cracks up to 1/4-inch according to the can, but you can see it didn't fill the gaps in the deck boards for my trailer. Maybe I didn't put it on thick enough, but the final surface seems a lot more satisfactory than it was before and should keep the rain and sun from beating up the surface of my trailer deck.

I've reprocessed the photo files with Picassa instead of taking them direct from my phone - hoping that they will be in the correct orientation now!
    -- Daniel
    1025r... shiny new and green!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fizxman For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (02-15-2015), Bubber (02-15-2015), etcallhome (02-15-2015), farmgirl19 (02-15-2015), Kennyd (02-15-2015), Levi (02-15-2015), RandyM (02-15-2015), rtgt (02-15-2015), sterling40man (02-15-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Great idea! I will do that to my flatbed this Spring! If there is any left after that, I'll add it to the floor of the stock trailer!

Thanks for the helpful post!!
    Levi and Fizxman like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    ---mjncad: Yes, the texture is rather like an aircraft carrier's deck! The lightbulb went on big time when you said that, I was at a loss as how to describe the texture of this stuff.

-- Dieselshadow & other mods: thanks for trying to set this thread straight... er, upright!

I'll be letting you folks know how this stuff holds up through the winter and pounding summer sun over the next few months... my contractor (working on the new house) was skeptical about this stuff. I wanted him to apply it to the deck on the house, but he was squeamish about it. Figured if it cracked or peeled on the trailer it was no big deal and Tractor Girl wouldn't get too upset over it!

--Daniel
    -- Daniel

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,101 Posts
    that looks like a good idea, hope that holds up good over time, good luck
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Thanks
    I'm interested to see how well this stuff holds up. On my small trailer that I use for the mower, I stapled hardware cloth to the ramps to get some traction but it is't very attractive. If this stuff stays stuck then it might be a good alternative.
    Levi likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Similar "slippery when wet" problem on one of my buddies 60"W X 16'L metal deck trailer.
    Had him go out and buy two sheets of 4' X 8' "expanded metal" and we cut it in four 2' wide strips and spot welded it on the trailer bed to match his tractor footprint when loading & unloading it.
    After 3 years, still seems to be holding up nicely.
    Levi likes this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Berger For This Useful Post:

AKfish (03-18-2015)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    Similar "slippery when wet" problem on one of my buddies 60"W X 16'L metal deck trailer.
    Had him go out and buy two sheets of 4' X 8' "expanded metal" and we cut it in four 2' wide strips and spot welded it on the trailer bed to match his tractor footprint when loading & unloading it.
    After 3 years, still seems to be holding up nicely.
    Hi Bill,
    I thought of this, and I'm sure that it is holding up fine! My problem was that I've seen sun & weather beat up the wooden surface of my deck, porch and stairs, and I wanted a solution to protect the entire deck bed along with solving the traction problem. Hoping this will solve two problems at once!

I'll let folks know how it holds up over time....
    -- Daniel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fizxman For This Useful Post:

AKfish (03-18-2015)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizxman View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I thought of this, and I'm sure that it is holding up fine! My problem was that I've seen sun & weather beat up the wooden surface of my deck, porch and stairs, and I wanted a solution to protect the entire deck bed along with solving the traction problem. Hoping this will solve two problems at once!

I'll let folks know how it holds up over time....
    I'm guessing that it'll hold up very well. And, it looks great also.
    Levi likes this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Berger For This Useful Post:

Fizxman (02-15-2015)

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 835 Posts
    Looks great.

Keep us posted on how well it holds up.

I'd also like to put something on my trailer deck to help protect it.
    Levi likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Looks good. Guess I know what I'm putting on my trailer deck after I replace the boards.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast