• 3 Post By Herminator
  • 3 Post By meburdick

Thread: Ever stretched your trailer?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

Ever stretched your trailer?

I have a need for a 20' 10k trailer but I don't have $4500 available to buy one. I do have a 16' 7k trailer that is in really good shape. I'm thinking about cutting it in half, stretching it 4' then adding a third axle to get a 10k rating.

I've considered selling my 16' trailer but it won't fetch much, maybe $1200, maybe.
    Last summer (2017) I dumped a lot of cash into it replacing the tires, brakes, lights, springs, all the stuff that wears out. This was before the need for a larger trailer presented itself.
    A friend has given me a 16' 7k trailer but it's been beat by his employees. At this point it is merely a donor trailer for the axle, tires, springs and equalizers. If the frame is in good shape I might cut it down and turn it into a 12' trailer because why not?

Has anyone ever done something this and if so were there any unexpected problems that came up during the build? I understand the donor axle might need to be cut down or lengthened and the spring perches might need to be relocated as well.

Thanks
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    To me it would be liability reasons not to do it. Fish Plating the frames and having one give out in a bad wreck and blame deaths on it do to engineering problems? Here you would have to have it inspected, pay more for the longer trailer and weight carrying ability re/registering it etc. Sell your short one add to it more money and buy one rated with a sticker to use for ratings. Insurance company's will pay better if it is 100% legal not modified frames and axles for more weight hauling. Trailers are cheap in certain areas even brand new ones. I worry about the Deep Pocket Rule and do not want it used on me after my insurance levels are maxed out.
    mjncad, Kennyd, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Thanks
    Good point above. 3 axles is going to be very hard on tires and bearings and turning. That is a big distance between them and the alignment is going to be tough to do in the field.
    BigJim55, Oscar Leroy and JD4044M like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    In a word, No.

The sticker on the tongue of that trailer is what it's rated for, period. It doesn't mater what you do to it, it will NEVER be rated for more.

If you need the larger trailer "just once", rent it. If you need it long term, sell the trailer you have and buy the longer/larger one. The delta will not be $4500.
    BigJim55, Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    In Ohio gvwr is 20k per axle (single) or the combined weight rating of the tires, whichever is less.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5577.04v1

Tri-axle trailers aren't uncommon and speaking from experience, it seems like not a lot of time is spent making sure the spring hangars are aligned with each other during fabrication.

If I leave the current axles where they are and add the third, at 20' the balance will be 55/45 rather than the ideal 60/40. I would need to move all three axles back about a foot or only add 3' to the trailer. Not sure which way I want to proceed.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements