Like Tree766Likes

Thread: Winter Tires vs. Summer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

Winter Tires vs. Summer

As many of you know I am a proponent of winter tires on my pickup and cars. I'll let the video speak for me in this case....

An AWD car with summer tires vs. a RWD car with winter tires -

Gizmo2, North585, Tomfive and 7 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (11-26-2018), etcallhome (11-26-2018), Gizmo2 (11-27-2018), jdmich (11-26-2018), PJR832 (11-26-2018), Tomfive (11-27-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    When driving for Advance I proved worn out winter tires had better traction ,and stopping distance than a brand new pair of 3 season tires.

The store manager thought I was nuts till he seen it with his own eyes.

He was still only able to convince the distract manager to put winter tires on one of the 4 or 5 delivery vehicles.
    North585, Tomfive, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-19-2019 @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    I drive for NAPA and am in Canada,,,,If we didn't put winter tires on our vans, we wouldn't be getting anywhere. My wifes frontwheel drive car with snows is as good as my 4x4 with AT tires, especially on ice.
    STX38 Hydro

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Tire Rack put out a good video recently showing the benefits of winter tires.

I've had my Blizzak WS70s on for 2 weeks now...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    I've always been a firm believer in snow tires, no such thing as "all season" IMO.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I've always been a firm believer in snow tires, no such thing as "all season" IMO.
    Me too.

Have always put winter tires on every vehicle I driven in the winter.

A few winter ago, Goodyear came out with a All Weather Tire, our daughter has them on her Outback , and I put them on our Sienna AWD last winter. Drove in 8-15" of snow last winter and felt as safe as having true winter tires.

These are the new tire pattern they came out with last fall when I bought mine. https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...e-weatherready

This is the tire tread my daughter and I have .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goodyear tire on van.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	658956
    Gizmo2, North585, fdmars and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Me too.

Have always put winter tires on every vehicle I driven in the winter.

A few winter ago, Goodyear came out with a All Weather Tire, our daughter has them on her Outback , and I put them on our Sienna AWD last winter. Drove in 8-15" of snow last winter and felt as safe as having true winter tires.

These are the new tire pattern they came out with last fall when I bought mine. https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...e-weatherready

This is the tire tread my daughter and I have .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goodyear tire on van.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	658956
    That's a good looking tire, I will say that with the popularity of AWD vehicles the tire companies have come out with some pretty aggressive "all season" tires. My wife has had two Chevy Equinox AWD's and we only ran Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on them, they have an open shoulder like the tire you linked. Her current vehicle is a Ford Edge and that just felt scary with all seasons on it, she has had true winter tires on that for 3 years now, Hankook somethings.
    etcallhome, Tomfive and JD4044M like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    One problem with just Snow Tires is there only Best for Snow and Mud but not the best on Ice and Rain Slick Surfaces. My problem is dealing with ice and wet roads during the winter. They tend to plow the snow down and leave you with something a true snow tire won't dig into very well and that is where the sipping and lots of smaller treads crossing the tires work better. Stopping fast on these surfaces take longer with Snow Tires. Now on deeper new snow and un/plowed roads the True Snow Tire works great because they self clean and have chunky treads. So for my driving conditions I want All Seasons and my Off Road stuff True Snow Tires. But then that is just me? I really hate sliding on ice trying to stop way more then having a hard time getting going in deeper snow. This is what I run on my 3/4 Ton Dodge and my Chevy 1 ton year round. There All Terrain, Mud Snow and All Season in one. Was not happy with the Cost and wear of the Toyo's these get better traction year round for me. Information on them Cooper Courser MSR LT tires.
    High Traction Tread Design
    The intricate tread pattern balances inter traction and a smooth, quiet ride. The deep lateral and notched circumferential grooves provide excellent evacuation of water and slush from the tread contact patch.

Patented “Snow Groove” Design Technology
    Provides biting edges for excellent snow and ice traction without reducing element stiffness. The snow groove enhances the retention of snow in the outer circumferential grooves to capitalize on the higher traction characteristics of “snow on snow” versus “snow on rubber”.
    Also available with metal studs for the ultimate in ice traction. For the studded version of this tire click here.

Available in Blackwall (BW) and Outlined White Letters (OWL) sidewall styles.

Mastercraft Tires are made by Cooper Tire Co. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Courser Tires.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	658958 This is what I used to run Toyo'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Toyos.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	6589601/3 plus more cost too! I left out we only own Pick Up Trucks Cars are a different breed to me not sure the ride would be nice enough and super quite like my Mother in Laws Car with those pointed tread in the pictures above.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 11-26-2018 at 07:58 PM.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    One problem with just Snow Tires is there only Best for Snow and Mud but not the best on Ice and Rain Slick Surfaces. My problem is dealing with ice and wet roads during the winter. They tend to plow the snow down and leave you with something a true snow tire won't dig into very well and that is where the sipping and lots of smaller treads crossing the tires work better. Stopping fast on these surfaces take longer with Snow Tires. Now on deeper new snow and un/plowed roads the True Snow Tire works great because they self clean and have chunky treads. So for my driving conditions I want All Seasons and my Off Road stuff True Snow Tires. But then that is just me? I really hate sliding on ice trying to stop way more then having a hard time getting going in deeper snow. This is what I run on my 3/4 Ton Dodge and my Chevy 1 ton year round. There All Terrain, Mud Snow and All Season in one. Was not happy with the Cost and wear of the Toyo's these get better traction year round for me. Information on them Cooper Courser MSR LT tires.
    High Traction Tread Design
    The intricate tread pattern balances inter traction and a smooth, quiet ride. The deep lateral and notched circumferential grooves provide excellent evacuation of water and slush from the tread contact patch.

Patented “Snow Groove” Design Technology
    Provides biting edges for excellent snow and ice traction without reducing element stiffness. The snow groove enhances the retention of snow in the outer circumferential grooves to capitalize on the higher traction characteristics of “snow on snow” versus “snow on rubber”.
    Also available with metal studs for the ultimate in ice traction. For the studded version of this tire click here.

Available in Blackwall (BW) and Outlined White Letters (OWL) sidewall styles.

Mastercraft Tires are made by Cooper Tire Co. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Courser Tires.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	658958 This is what I used to run Toyo'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Toyos.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	6589601/3 plus more cost too! I left out we only own Pick Up Trucks Cars are a different breed to me not sure the ride would be nice enough and super quite like my Mother in Laws Car with those pointed tread in the pictures above.
    Since 1989 when I purchased a Ford Ranger 5 sp, I have used studded winter tires. In 1993 I purchased a ford F250 4x4 Diesel 5 sp. I ordered it with agressive all terain tires. Well long story short, one day we ended up with freezing rain. Going very slow, made a right hand 90 degree turn after leaving a bridge and was promptly going down the road sideways pointing at the river. Needless to say, purchased winter steels and agressive studded winters on all 4 corners. Then bought a 2003 F250 4x4 diesel 6 sp, and immediately put winters all around. Had to trade due to divorce, and have had 3 Passats since. First 2 diesels till they bought #2 back, cuz of our wonderful guberment, but all 3 have had studs all around.
    My wifes cars since I got remairied have had studs all around. Will never use anything but. The 93 went through a blizzard in 02 through 3 foot drifts cuz PennDot did not plow on Christmas and I had to go into the plant. Made it there and back, but a half mile from home hit one drift so hard I knocked off the serpentine belt. Thank God it was a diesel! Made it home anyway. Studds are the best!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 11-26-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

13. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    I've never needed an actual snow tire on any of my pickups.
    I just took the crappy factory Goodyear SR-A's off my truck 2 months ago, even though there was still 3/4 tread life left. They were absolutely unsafe in rain of all things.

I opted for Michelin LTX Defenders. Love these tires. Maybe it's just me, but I've driven in plenty of snow in my life, and I don't have any problems.
    mjncad, Kennyd, etcallhome and 4 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520