So like every person in the country with an early mid late 2000’s Chevy pickup and suburban, I have broken exhaust manifold studs. Complete failure on GM’s design in my opinion.
Anyway, it’s usually the back bolts near firewall naturally in worst possible locations.
I’ve heard horror stories of trying to drill studs out of aluminum heads, to having to pull and replace heads.
I didn’t care about mine being broke as it didn’t make noise or didn’t put exhaust fumes in cab for years. Until about 3 weeks ago. The exhaust ticking of the leak and fumes started on drivers side.
So I went for an estimate last week on a muffler and tailpipe. I asked the guy if he deals with the studs and he shook his head like it’s not even worth it for him. But to my surprise and delight he mentioned there were clamps that bolted to head and had a bolt that tightened against manifold to re seal the leaks. I never heard of it but went home and googled it. Sure enough Dorman makes them out of cast steel. Lots of positive reviews and YouTube videos.
Ordered both sides from Amazon.
Installing it is not for faint of heart. Lots of dropped parts and tools ensued. Profanity may have been used.
Even lost a bolt on one of the 10 times everything fell onto ground. Luckily I have a big bucket of extra bolts, nuts, washers, etc and found replacement.
Never seized the two bolts holding clamp to head. Used Loctite on bolt that contacts manifold. There are torque specs for all three. Good luck with that. Mine got the old that feels pretty good torque.
If motor was out of truck, you can get torque wrench on them. But if that was the case, you probably wouldn’t be using these band aid clamps.
Upon completion of painful installing, it appears to have completely sealed my leak!