Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: tires

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks

tires

What tires are you guys running? I'm running BFG all Terrain t/a 265/75/R16 on all 4 corners, and I hate them with a passion. running at recommended Pressures, They have about 30k and the rears aren't even legal. Fronts are better but not by much. They are noisy, and support is non-existent. But to their credit, they handle nice and had decent traction.

What do you guys use? I need an all-terrain tire, and something I can tow with. E load range is a must. 16" rims.

Thoughts?
    pcabe5 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts
    BFG all-terrains just simply melt away on a heavy truck.

If your truck is mainly on the street, like most are, go with as much rubber that will fit in the tires footprint. In other words the bigger the gap in between the lugs of the tire the less rubber is on the road. More rubber on the road equals more longevity. Less rubber means bigger gaps which is better off road.

Most trucks running crazy looking tires are virtually never off the road, but they sure look cool, don’t they?

Any way, this is just general statements and observations, not 100% accurate for all situations and conditions.

I can tell you this, my truck is a heavy work truck, but won’t see much real off road, so a good heavy duty all season makes the most sense for me. If it were a Jeep and I was wheeling it, it have awesomely large, loud, and cool looking off road tires.

So what are you doing with your truck? Daily driver/grocery getter? Hauling big heavy trailers and never see dirt? Long haul? Takes hay out to the cattle on the back 40?
    glc, pcabe5, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Mostly on road, going around to places I need to go. Towing? The most I pull is the tractor, so around 7000? pounds or so (Including trailer). I don't off road much, but i do have to go off the beaten path across a pasture once in a while, including wet ones. Snow traction is a concern, and I do get into muddy spots once in a great while. But mostly just on pavement and gravel roads.

Thats the other thing- gravel+bfg all terrain= ripped and notched treads. In other words, these tires hate gravel. Even just riding along normally and not spinning the tires kills the treads.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    I have Firestone Destination AT's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    DRobinson, pcabe5, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    I have Michelin LTX-AT on my '17 Sierra 2500 and I'm pleased with them. My driving is similar to yours, they currently have 36k miles of wear and I project they'll be replaced next fall at somewhere between 45-50k. I rotate them every 5k and only in the last 6k miles have I noticed traction begin to fall of in wet weather.
    pcabe5, bhill, OxPath and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    I run Toyo open Country ATII, I do a mix of everything, tow, highway, farm work and some but little off-road.
    I really like them guessing a 45k tire and they both, look good, but also have some road noise.
    pcabe5 and johnH123 like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    The Cooper AT/3 seems to be a popular choice - a few guys here who have ranches in the west have made positive comments avout them. While I haven’t had this exact model I have become a Cooper tire fan over the years.

They make a few different models in their AT line -

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 | Cooper Tire

Oh - and made in the USA!
    glc, pcabe5, dieselshadow and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    I have F150 FX4 that I do a lot of towing with and its my daily driver. It has a level kit and 34inch tires. Nothing crazy but gets my to a tire size that looks more appealing. The Original tires were Pirelli's and I hated them. They handled horrible on anything but perfectly dry paved roads.

I Quickly changed them to Goodyear Wranger Duratracs and they are great tires. Handled amazing in snow and mud/dirt. They are a decent road tire that handled well in all conditions. They were a little loud on the highway but it was manageable. I got 65K out of those tires but at the end of their life they got to be pretty loud.

I now have Nitto Terra Grapplers G2's and that are pretty quiet on the road, and seem to handle well. They handle my trailer weight decent but are clearly not as good in the snow or dirt as the Wranglers. They do well but my perception is different now after having the wranglers. I think I get a little better mileage with the Nittos.

I have found that there is no perfect tire. They all have their place depending on what you need. I have never had BFG's simply because people say how fast they wear out.
    glc and Gizmo2 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    As soon as I got the new 2017 Ram 2500 I swapped out the stock tires for Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Around 14K miles on them now and I have to say I love them. They are very quiet on the highway - probably quieter than the stock tires - and they have been wearing very well.

Rob
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 1 others like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    I second the Firestone Destination AT's. My dad runs them on his 3500 RAM as does my old neighbor on his F350 with a 7.3L diesel. Both of those trucks are load range E tires if memory serves me. Also, my brother just had a set put on his 1500 Silverado, loves them so far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JDSwan87; 12-10-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast