Like Tree110Likes

Thread: NEW Dashcam

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:58 PM
    Thanks

NEW Dashcam

I just bought a new dashcam.

I got the Vantrue N2 Pro. Pretty nice. Has forward and back facing camera, records both at same time. Front camera has good night vision, rear facing camera is B & W.

I put his in my company truck and I drive allot, mostly in PA, NJ, NYS, MD, VA and WV.

Here is a sample video from Friday:

Dropbox - 2018_1221_030024_063A.MP4

Last edited by Ray_PA; 12-23-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 17 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Fozsey†(12-25-2018), Herminator†(12-23-2018), mjncad†(12-30-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    I've been thinking about adding one to my truck now that my commute has doubled each way. I'll check into this after the holiday, thank you.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Nice drive Ray

How come the MPH indicator was 0 the whole time? Is there any location data (GPS) available?
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Nice drive Ray

How come the MPH indicator was 0 the whole time? Is there any location data (GPS) available?
    Yes, there is an optional GPS receiver that I didn't get.
    Kennyd and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    NICE Ray_PA.
    How much video can it store?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    NICE Ray_PA.
    How much video can it store?
    It depends on the size of the micro SD card that you use (not included). It records by default settings, 3 min video segments (this can be changed to one minute, three minute or five minute in the settings) continually, one from the front facing camera and one from the rear facing camera, with a date and time stamp and an "A" for the front facing camera and "B" for the rear facing camera as the file name.

I am using a 256 GB micro SD card. So, there are 1024 MB in one GB. So, the 256 GB micro SC card will handle 262,144 MB of data. One 3 minute front facing video (color) is 288 MB and one 3 minute rear facing video (B & W) is 100 MB. So, for each 3 minutes of recording, it uses approx. 388 MB of space. This is approx. 33 hours of recording, front and back.

After the micro SD card is full, the video loops and overwrites the oldest videos first. The unit has a gyro sensor integral which senses heavy braking or sudden changes of direction. If this occurs, the unit automatically sets the current 3 minute video to not be able to be overwritten. There is also a button on the unit that can be depressed which sets the current video from being overwritten.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(12-24-2018), Henderson†(12-24-2018)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Iím a firm believer in my dash cam.

A few years ago I was in a wreck - only one since I was around 20 years old. Was on one of our remote 55 mph roads on my way home from work when an old drunk guy pulled across right in front of me turning into his driveway on his way home from the tavern. There was no missing him but I made a high speed maneuver so instead of broadsiding him at 55 mph I hit his rear quarter which spun is both into the bank. Had I broadsided him I likely would have killed him being he had no seatbelt on.

Long story short - it took me 6 months to prove I was not at fault. If I had a dash cam it would have been obvious right away.

Also have caught some neat stuff on it when out and about. But I have the sound turned off - donít want anyone hearing us if I need to use the video for something like above.

Also a reminder - itís a good idea to format the SD card once a month in these things. I have a reminder on my calendar to do it the first of each month.

Just a sample from mine -

Snow March 2017 - YouTube
    mjncad, Ray_PA, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Is a Dash Cam a Novelty??

Dash Can Reality - careful, I am going to vent!!!!.....
    I would suggest, a dash cam is sort of a novelty for some drivers. That said, for those that drive allot, and not just allot, but for long trips like myself, it is not so much a novelty now days, it is getting to be more of a necessity. It is getting crazier all the time with all the non-drivers on the highway and absolutely corrupt justice system. If you do get involved in an accident, so many people are so unethical now days, and if they aren't, their insurance companies or insurance company attorneys are. It is very hard to shield yourself from a totally dishonest, money hungry system because the system is run by attorneys and judges, some not so ethical or honest, in fact down right dishonest.

I am for sure not an advocate for video cameras everywhere, although, it is a necessary evil in our society. Judges, attorney's, and some juries in this country have gotten crazy stupid and dishonest beyond belief. The only real winners in a lawsuit are attorneys and the courts. These people have high-jacked the justice system in this country to the point that you end up having to prove you are innocent rather than the accuser having to prove your guilt. It's absolutely crazy!! Until you, or the company that you work for, is involved in a civil case, it is hard to comprehend how bad the system is.

E.G. - The company that I work for was named in a civil lawsuit a few years ago because of a fatality construction accident that occurred. Yes, it was a horrific accident, although, we had absolutely nothing to do with the accident occurring, no one from our company was even on site at the time of the accident and had not been on this site for at least 30 days. The only thing that we did on this site was, we were there 30 days prior to the accident to inspect the crane that was involved in the accident. So, you might say, why was your company named in the lawsuit. It is simple, because we could be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had touched the crane so we had to be GUILTY, right? Heck, the company that fabricated the steel for the building that was being built was also named in the same lawsuit and they had never been on the site as they hired a sub-contractor to erect the steel.

Attorneys and judges make the decisions as to who is named in a lawsuit and they all know, the more insurance companies that they can suck in, the more the settlement will be. It is absolutely disgraceful. Now, get this, after discover of evidence (which takes years), our attorney filed for summary judgment (essentially means, ask the judge to let us out of the case). The judge awarded us summary judgment, which rarely happens by the way. So, we were left out of the case, so we won, right??? RIGHT!! Well lets recap. When the suit was served, we had to write a check to our insurance company for the deductible plus I had 100's of hours of time chasing stupid attorneys, attending depositions, etc, etc. So, we had an estimated $35,000 invested in a case that we were left out of after 2 years. Doesn't sound like a WIN to me.

This is why automobiles, equipment, yes tractors, machinery, etc., etc., etc. costs so much. It has little to do with labor costs, it has allot to do with product liability insurance and the costs involved with fighting lawsuits. Granted, some lawsuits are legitimate, many are not, many just cost manufacturers, businesses, and individuals lots of money. Everything you buy, a percentage of the price is to cover liability insurance and a cushion to cover the cost of fighting the inevitable civil suit, and this percentage is getting larger and larger all the time, even the price of a tech manual CD. Just sayin!! (topic in another thread)

So, if you have a dash cam video and let your insurance company know that you have a video of the entire accident, this alone will keep the attorneys at least honest, so they will most likely not pursue a stupid case against you because they know they are not going to be able to lie to the court because you have video to keep them honest.

Said to say, this is reality in our society in today's culture, at least in parts of this great country.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Zebrafive and 7 others like this.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike†(12-24-2018), HVACguy†(12-30-2018), mjncad†(12-30-2018), Zebrafive†(12-24-2018)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Ray - I had always wished I had a dash cam when I was driving truck - so many idiots around me all day long.

Just when I had to leave work for good the company was starting to put dash cams in all the trucks - it was actually mandated by the US Postal Service. But these were connected to the mother ship......
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Iím a firm believer in my dash cam.

A few years ago I was in a wreck - only one since I was around 20 years old. Was on one of our remote 55 mph roads on my way home from work when an old drunk guy pulled across right in front of me turning into his driveway on his way home from the tavern. There was no missing him but I made a high speed maneuver so instead of broadsiding him at 55 mph I hit his rear quarter which spun is both into the bank. Had I broadsided him I likely would have killed him being he had no seatbelt on.

Long story short - it took me 6 months to prove I was not at fault. If I had a dash cam it would have been obvious right away.

Also have caught some neat stuff on it when out and about. But I have the sound turned off - donít want anyone hearing us if I need to use the video for something like above.

Also a reminder - itís a good idea to format the SD card once a month in these things. I have a reminder on my calendar to do it the first of each month.

Just a sample from mine -

Snow March 2017 - YouTube
    SO true!!! I now turned the sound off on mine also. I had it on initially, just to make sure it worked.
    coaltrain likes this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast