Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Gooseneck Trailer theft deterrent

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks

Gooseneck Trailer theft deterrent

Notice I said deterrent, cause you will never stop a determined thief...

Trailer will be stowed in a relatively open area for 3-4 months - can't be helped
    Not a particularly bad area - but you can't be too careful
    Tractor will be disabled thru several means - mostly fuse removal and adding 2 hidden switches to complete circuits required to start etc
    Both fully insured for replacement value

Picking up a new trailer Wednesday
    Bought a Ganderlock (Remove the gooseneck ball receiver) and this lock goes in its place - not sure how pickable it is, but you will be doing it upside down - hopefully slightly harder than a master lock
    I plan on removing the crank handle for the jacks
    I plan to remove the tie rod for the jacks (Located in the locked chain cabinet on this trailer
    Going to make a sleeve to fit over the exposed section of the jacks and then use a guillotine lock in the bolt holes to prevent using a pipe wrench on the stubs
    This trailer will also have my brand new 4044R on it

What I am trying to figure out is should I move the tractor way back to almost completely eliminate tongue weight or move it completely forward and maximize tongue weight and place the jack all the way up or down. To make it as hard as possible and require they have to move the jacks, even if they hook the exposed gooseneck onto the truck bed.

Should I remove all binders from the tractor while it sits - this way they can't just steal the chain and binders?

Am I missing anything?
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post

Trailer will be stowed in a relatively open area for 3-4 months - can't be helped
    Tractor will be disabled thru several means - mostly fuse removal and adding 2 hidden switches to complete circuits required to start etc

Bought a Ganderlock (Remove the gooseneck ball receiver) and this lock goes in its place - not sure how pickable it is, but you will be doing it upside down - hopefully slightly harder than a master lock
    I plan to remove the tie rod for the jacks (Located in the locked chain cabinet on this trailer
    Going to make a sleeve to fit over the exposed section of the jacks and then use a guillotine lock in the bolt holes to prevent using a pipe wrench on the stubs

What I am trying to figure out is should I move the tractor way back to almost completely eliminate tongue weight or move it completely forward and maximize tongue weight and place the jack all the way up or down. To make it as hard as possible and require they have to move the jacks, even if they hook the exposed gooseneck onto the truck bed.

Should I remove all binders from the tractor while it sits - this way they can't just steal the chain and binders?

Am I missing anything?
    Can’t be helped? You are going through an awful lot to leave it by itself for a long period of time. There has to be other options - like storing it at a proper storage facility with security.
    Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Can’t be helped? You are going through an awful lot to leave it by itself for a long period of time. There has to be other options - like storing it at a proper storage facility with security.
    It will be in a storage lot, with a fence, security, keypad and constant camera monitoring

That only tells me WHO stole it, not preventing it from being stolen

I am leaving the country and due to a series of mis steps by the SC dept of highways, my driveway and thus building permits were held up for almost 3 months needlessly - so my driveway isn't built and my barn isn't started yet either

Hence it can't be helped - I will be out of the country for roughly 11-15 weeks
    Robnik and JD4044M like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have pretty much thought about everything already. I would agree that lowering the front stands would be a good idea after disabling them. I would also move the tractor to the front to make it more difficult to raise it. I would not leave the chains/binders on it, however I would use a large chain with padlock to chain it to the gooseneck part of the trailer. The bigger the chain the better. Good luck.

I will check into that Ganderlock as I have a 31ft gooseneck flatbed that sits behind the garage without any kind of lock on it.

Dave

EDIT::: I just checked out the Ganderlock and feel I would not want to go that way. However, I think it would be great for your particular usage as the coupler tube has been removed and you can store it at a separate place.
    Last edited by ddinham; 12-30-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    Robnik likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    Take the wheels, ramps, and hitch off the trailer. Probably won't go anywhere.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post

Am I missing anything?

Set it on blocks and remove the wheels. Done.
    Zebrafive, Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

9. Top | #7
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    DeWalt sells things called Mobile locks. Battery operated and can be affixed to anything. It will send YOU alerts if it sense's vibrations, movement and give you location in real time. I have several for my trailers and expensive equipment that I keep at my shop in town. They work great! Might give you a little more peace of mind.

Home - DEWALT MOBILELOCK
    OxPath, raco232, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

Herminator (12-30-2018), JD4044M (12-30-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I had contemplated taking the wheels off

I just don't know how to properly block the trailer to account for the weight -
    Do I:
    Blocks under the spring perch
    Block the side rails
    Block the actual axles where the tires go - U shaped top block to go around the brake drum? (Can I even block the drum or should I stay away from this area?
    Robnik likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    DeWalt sells things called Mobile locks. Battery operated and can be affixed to anything. It will send YOU alerts if it sense's vibrations, movement and give you location in real time. I have several for my trailers and expensive equipment that I keep at my shop in town. They work great! Might give you a little more peace of mind.

Home - DEWALT MOBILELOCK

I have quite a few friends who use this: Trailer GPS tracking in real time with 5-year battery. No fees.

I figure I'll go with that - it works well for them - and I don't have to buy it because one has an extra currently, so there is that

Again, this only helps recovery though - not deterrent - but it will drop my insurance coverage quite a bit
    Robnik likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    You could just bring your tractor up to my shop. It would be locked up and inside. I'm only 3 hrs from Chuck town.
    bhill, Zebrafive, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast