Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Towing a 2025R with a Toyota Tacoma

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-17-2019 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks

Towing a 2025R with a Toyota Tacoma

A new truck is in my semi-near future, and I think I want to go smaller. I'm coming out of an older Tundra, and part of the compromise of downsizing is going to be getting nice utility trailer. This leads me to thinking that it would be great if I could hall the tractor on a rare occasion. I've been driving it down the road 4-5 miles occasionally and there are a couple other places I'd like to be able to take it.

Does anybody tow their tractor with a tacoma? What size trailer are you using?

Thanks
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. At only 1800 lbs. I could tow a 2025R with my Highlander and a landscape trailer.
    Gizmo2, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,234 Posts
    The Tacoma will have plenty of towing capacity. The trailer would require more thought IMO. Are you going to have an implement on the back, FEL on etc.. then you will need a trailer with slide out ramps, I know my tractor with FEL/bucket and my 60" rotary cutter is one long sun of gun. I wouldn't think twice about pulling mine with my Colorado and that's basically the same size truck.
    Gizmo2, Robnik, GreenBlood and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    02-17-2019 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    The Tacoma will have plenty of towing capacity. The trailer would require more thought IMO. Are you going to have an implement on the back, FEL on etc.. then you will need a trailer with slide out ramps, I know my tractor with FEL/bucket and my 60" rotary cutter is one long sun of gun. I wouldn't think twice about pulling mine with my Colorado and that's basically the same size truck.
    Yeah, I'm wondering about the size I need. I want to keep it down to single axle for weight purposes and the package gets pretty long. When I go places, I have: bucket, forks, york rake, and ballast box. I usually put the forks on the tractor and load the bucket in the bed of the truck. Then, the rake gets strapped to the forks and the ballast box stays in place. I drive that package down the road right now. But, the tacoma is too narrow, so it all needs to go on the trailer. I'm thinking a 14 footer, and with all the implements and the trailer, I think it starts to get heavy...
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Pat.
    Depending on configuration, you may end up pretty long, and if the trailer is steel, that may end up being a limiting factor weight wise.
    Aluminum trailers are great, light weight, etc, but limited in what you can add on, at least from my standpoint of being an amateur welder who doesnt weld aluminum anyway.

I was looking at an 18' trailer for mine, but may need to go 20 should I decide to do work with it, because Id need to haul a few implements at once, and thats hard to do on a small trailer.
    As it sits now, my 2025 with backhoe will fit, barely, on a 12' single axle. I would not consider it safe to haul for any distance on the highway though. A tandem is just about a necessity at that size/weight.
    Figure out what the biggest overall size of your tractor could be, and get the trailer based on that, if you dont already have one.
    If you do, its a moot point, unless things change in the future.
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and NCJOHN like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Listen_Up_Sonny View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering about the size I need. I want to keep it down to single axle for weight purposes and the package gets pretty long. When I go places, I have: bucket, forks, york rake, and ballast box. I usually put the forks on the tractor and load the bucket in the bed of the truck. Then, the rake gets strapped to the forks and the ballast box stays in place. I drive that package down the road right now. But, the tacoma is too narrow, so it all needs to go on the trailer. I'm thinking a 14 footer, and with all the implements and the trailer, I think it starts to get heavy...
    I know when I buy a trailer I'll have to measure with my rotary cutter on, but my guess it's all of 16'.
    Gizmo2, JD4044M and NCJOHN like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Tacoma rated at 6,400 lbs, you should be fine. My 3/4 ton 4x4 Silverado rated to pull 12k at the hitch, and the ATV trailer loaded comes in around 3k.

Wife's Subaru Outback rated to pull 5k...but the Big Block is a much better choice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180426_165927.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	665004
    Gizmo2, johnH123 and NCJOHN like this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks

Towing a 2025R with a Toyota Tacoma

So is it safe to say you can haul a 2025R loader mower tractor on a 6x12 utility trailer? Which I have! Everyone has told me that I have to have a dual axle trailer to haul it on. My trailer has a 3500# axle under it.
    Basically identical to the atv trailer pictured in previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvdeere View Post
    So is it safe to say you can haul a 2025R loader mower tractor on a 6x12 utility trailer? Which I have! Everyone has told me that I have to have a dual axle trailer to haul it on. My trailer has a 3500# axle under it.

With 2025R, MMM and FEL plus the weight of the trailer itself I think you be real close to max if not over.
    Gizmo2 and GreenBlood like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvdeere View Post

As Pat said, you are going to be VERY close to the limit on the axle.
    You dont HAVE to have a tandem axle trailer, but they distribute loads better, and ride/pull better than single axles.
    If you have to have single axle, its best to have a 7k pound axle under it.
    As I said above, Ive hauled my 2025 TLB on a 6x12 single axle, but I dont consider it safe to do so. I know, based on what I know about my trailer and tractor, that I was at or just over the axles limit.
    I do NOT haul on the highway, or anywhere over 45mph doing this. I also dont travel more than a couple miles this way.

Lots of guys consider "safe" to be a relative term. Ive seen all sorts of nonsense hauled around all over the country that the hauler considered safe, but was anything but.
    To me, "safe" means well within the load limits of the tow vehicle and trailer, and properly secured. If your load is all of that, then it should be safe to haul anywhere.
    I also prefer to leave myself a bit of a safety margin, where some dont mind riding right on on the edge.
    Trailers are rated as they are when new. Age takes a toll, and if you are anywhere where rust takes its toll on automobiles, it does the same to trailers.
    fdmars, kevin37b, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast