Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Adding vise to tailgate

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks

Adding vise to tailgate

Ok most clever GTT people thoughts on how to attach a 6” vise to a pickup truck tailgate
    When at farm would be nice to have extra “hand” or solid pounding spot.
    Have seen hitch type but I want to be able to open tailgate and still have available also at waist high
    Thoughts?
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 798 Posts

Not sure a tailgate would be enough to support a vise.

Maybe I just use too big of a hammer.

Interesting to see what solutions you get offered.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    The tailgate isn't a good place for a vise. The hitch would be the best place for one. IMO! If you have to have the gate down when using it, you could come out far enough to clear the gate, then go vertical to get the vise pretty much even with the gate. Just a thought.
    ctrider and JD4044M like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,217 Posts
    How about a Wilton ATV vise? I use one of these on my bucket with Ken's 2" receiver. Works fantastic for a 3rd hand and sharpening mower blades and other things.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wilton_ATV.jpg  
    bhill, coaltrain and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    fdmars, You need something like a Farrier Stand...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TE016700_03.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	666114

Features:

• Takes the weight of the horse, saving the farrier’s back
    • Adjustable farrier stand is fully adjustable 16" to 24" to accommodate any height horse
    • Works on front and hind legs
    • Includes two strong magnets to keep your tools close at hand

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/t...yABEgKj2_D_BwE
    glc, fdmars, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    A blacksmith's post/leg vice may work. I've seen them mounted on the rear of trucks before. One could be modified to use the hitch receiver to extend beyond the tailgate. A regular bench vice could also be mounted this way, just make an extension that allows it to contact the ground for better stability.

Here's a link to a thread on Garage Journal that may be helpful.

Patrick
    glc, fdmars, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    While you could certainly mount one to the tailgate, the tailgate wont take the pounding, or loading, the vise will.
    Most tailgates come off pretty easily, and arent meant to take loads like the vise will give, or like you will impart on the vise and it will transfer to the tailgate.
    Most true work trucks I see around here have them mounted to the bumper, but even then, the bumper is a custom job that sticks out further than a standard bumper would.

Were you to want to try it anyway, the best idea would be a large plate that would spread the load over a larger surface of the tailgate, since most are just thin sheet metal, and not thick enough to even mount a vise on.
    Id want at least 1/4", and likely would want to cover the half of the tailgate the vise is on, or if centered, the middle 50%.
    glc, fdmars, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    While you could certainly mount one to the tailgate, the tailgate wont take the pounding, or loading, the vise will.
    Most tailgates come off pretty easily, and arent meant to take loads like the vise will give, or like you will impart on the vise and it will transfer to the tailgate.
    Most true work trucks I see around here have them mounted to the bumper, but even then, the bumper is a custom job that sticks out further than a standard bumper would.

Were you to want to try it anyway, the best idea would be a large plate that would spread the load over a larger surface of the tailgate, since most are just thin sheet metal, and not thick enough to even mount a vise on.
    Id want at least 1/4", and likely would want to cover the half of the tailgate the vise is on, or if centered, the middle 50%.

back when i worked on the strip jobs, if u rolled a 55 gallon barrel of oil, across ur tail gate the wrong way, u bent it. lots of pickups running around town with bent tail gates for a while. then the welding shop that built truck dump beds. bent up aluminum covers for the inside of the tail gates.
    everyone was buying new tail gates then, and pop riveted the cover onto the inside of tail gate. u could then roll a 55 gal barrel of oil across and off ur tail gate without bending it.

now would a vise be ok o that-IDK for sure. but i liked my cover for sure. had pieces made up for the top rails all the way around my pickup bed at the same time. after my neighbor fixed all the missed throws of firewood.

i haven't seen such a cover on tailgates for yrs now.
    glc, Gizmo2, fdmars and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    I think all of the concerns with a tailgate mounted vise make sense. I would add that when the tailgate is in the “up” position the weight of the vise will create a large moment that is going to want to tear the whole thing apart while driving and hitting bumps. The fasteners are in shear and over time I think something is going to fail. I don’t think a normal tailgate is going to take that and if it ever lets loose while driving it’s going to leave a mark.
    fdmars and JD4044M like this.
    -Chuck

Cogito ergo armatum sum

’05 JD 3520 w/300X FEL, 448 backhoe, MX5 brushhog and iMatch

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for thoughts....I was hoping for a different outcome, but knew a tailgate is just not strong enough.......so either make a reciver hitch that will fit or for lighter applications just throw my workmate in the back....
    again thanks for all your thoughts.
    glc, Gizmo2, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast