Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Help me spend $ (correctly)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks

Help me spend $ (correctly)

Ok, so this is probably my 3rd trailer topic on the forum over the last couple of years, but I'm really about to pull the trigger this time
    I have it narrowed down to 2 trailers, both 20 ft car haulers with 2 foot dovetails. A Longhorn, and a PJ. There are some seemingly substantial differences between the two. Here are the ones that seem like they may matter.

Longhorn - Incandescent lighting, painted, 4 " channel wrap-around tongue, angle iron cross-members on 24" centers, steel fenders, brakes on one axle

PJ - led lighting, wiring inside steel conduit, 5" channel wrap-around tongue, 3" channel( looks like a little I-beam) cross members on 16" centers, aluminum fenders, powder coated top and bottom, brakes on both axles.

Both are 7k trailers. The deck on the Longhorn is a little lower, probably because of the difference in the cross members, and the Longhorn has about a 3" lip on the outside edges of the deck, which I could see might come in handy to hold lumber, etc in the deck, but might interfere with loading/unloading items from the sides.

Both have radial tires and Bulldog couplers.

I have never bought a large trailer, so I'm agonizing over the decision. The heaviest thing I could see myself hauling is the 3038e, so the extra beef in the frame of the PJ might not be needed. That said, it gives the impression of an overall much more substantial trailer, albeit at a 20% premium compared to the Longhorn.

Would really like to hear some experienced opinions on this, as I'm a noob to the trailer game. Thanks!
    HVACguy likes this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Check your state laws regarding brakes - it may be required to have brakes on ALL axles

You don't say what you are towing it with, but brakes on both axles may be a ok idea, great idea or the BEST idea, depending on the TV

assuming you are in Louisiana

LOUISIANA
    A trailer or semitrailer that weighs at least 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold the towing vehicle and trailer or semitrailer.

These brakes must be designed so that the driver of the towing motor vehicle can apply the brakes from the towing vehicle itself and adequately stop both the towing vehicle and the trailer or semitrailer.

Every trailer or semitrailer manufactured after 1962 must be equipped with brakes upon all wheels.

Every trailer or semitrailer between 3,001 and 5,000 lbs. only requires brakes on 1 axle.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hipplewm For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (01-15-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    The longhorn sounds like a budget trailer with regular lights and brakes one axle, my guess is there is little paint prep too. PJ has a seriously good reputation all over the country, you can't go wrong with them. Buy once, cry once...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (01-15-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Tow vehicle is a '19 Ram. I dont think* brakes would be required on both, but I've heard its reasonably easy to add brakes to an axle if needed. No personal experience though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    The longhorn sounds like a budget trailer with regular lights and brakes one axle, my guess is there is little paint prep too. PJ has a seriously good reputation all over the country, you can't go wrong with them. Buy once, cry once...
    That's what my goal is on the buying and crying. I havent read much in the way of bad reviews on PJ. I cant find much of anything on the Longhorn review wise or anyone that has one, pretty common trailer on the lots around here though.

BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    7K and brakes on 1 axle? Don't do it. Spend it now or spend it twice later. For your safety and everyone else on the road, get the PJ. PJ makes a high quality product.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (01-15-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Brakes on all trailer axles. Period.
    fdmars, BigJim55 and userjh160 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    There are several "Good" trailer manufacturers in and around the southeast.

PJ
    B and A
    Gator
    Big tex
    Forgive me if I forget someone

They are basically like Ford/Chevy/Dodge super duties at the moment - all 3 of them are good, one may be slightly better at one thing and worse at another but by and large they are all "Good" Trailers are much the same way. The 20-30ft dual axle, flatbed, bumper or gooseneck is an EXTREMELY competitive market. They are all trying to angle on price and features. Then some are just cheap so they can advertise a price hundreds below the "Good" guys, but nothing is free, you have luckily found where they have skimped and if you can live with that corner cutting fine, if not, buy the trailer you know you should and never look back.

BTW - I just went thru this same thing several months ago
    BigJim55 and userjh160 like this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hipplewm For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (01-15-2019)

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for the thoughts, exactly the kind of things I was looking for. Fortunately my wife is of the same opinion as yall.

I was leaning to the PJ just from a gut feeling of higher quality but waffling a little due to the cost and necessity vs nicety aspect, but you have me on the right track.

BigJim55 likes this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    I bought a PJ trailer after doing my research. Looked at several brands in person and decided that PJ was what I wanted for quality.
    Do some shopping though for pricing. My closest PJ dealer was 30 miles away, but wanted $600 more for the exact same trailer I drove 90 miles to pick up. It was worth it for me, plus I had plans to be in that area anyway.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (01-15-2019)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast