Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Steel vs wood deck trailer??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

Steel vs wood deck trailer??

Been looking at getting a decent new dual axle trailer. Iím set on an 18ft with dovetail. They offer a wooden deck and a steel deck. The steel is about $250 more. My first instinct is go with steel however I recently loaded a buddies steel decked trailer with his implements and they slid everywhere. It was extremely slick. We set his rear blade down and the trailer was not on level ground and it almost slid off the other side. It was easy to maneuver things to tie down but I have had a small utility trailer with a wooden deck for over 10 years and itís still in great shape and has a lot more traction. What do you guys use and whatís your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robnik, Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wvdeere For This Useful Post:

JD4044M†(01-22-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    You posted on my post a minute ago but I'll respond here. I also had a short debate with myself about the deck but was concerned about the slipperiness and scratching if I slid loaded pallets or implements across it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

5. The Following User Says Thank You to userjh160 For This Useful Post:

Wvdeere†(01-16-2019)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks
    I recommend wood deck. Steel deck is good for stake body trucks or dump trailers that you want stuff to slide out of.

Thatís just my $.02.

bhill, Robnik, Herminator and 1 others like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gtmedic For This Useful Post:

Wvdeere†(01-16-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    I would also go with the wood deck, things donít slide and easier to add tie downs and replace as it ages.

2017 1025r
    120R Loader, 54D MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Front Hoe Bucket.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dedge522 For This Useful Post:

Wvdeere†(01-16-2019)

11. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    me--i would go for wood decku should be able to get at least a good 20 yrs out of the lumber if its taken care off-IMO.

my trailer sits out all yr long, and it still looks good for being 17yrs old this summer. the paint faded more than the lumber on the deck did. if i could of stored it out of the weather-i bet it would of lasted 30 yrs

i never oiled it or added anything to it over the yrs. they must of used grade A for that floor.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

Wvdeere†(01-16-2019)

13. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    An idea if you wanted to go with a steel deck, you could add horse mats before you load your tractor or equipment. This would help them from sliding around so much.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    I had a tilt bed trailer with steel deck for a skidsteer in the rain or snow completely unusable. The balancing act to load equipment was terrible. But I would never again own a steel deck that wasn’t a dump trailer
    Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dombougie For This Useful Post:

JD4044M†(01-22-2019)

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmedic View Post
    I recommend wood deck. Steel deck is good for stake body trucks or dump trailers that you want stuff to slide out of.

Thatís just my $.02.

Agreed.
    Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

JD4044M†(01-22-2019)

18. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    I have owned a tilt deck steel bed car/open trailer and currently own a wood deck utility trailer. The wood in my utility trailer rotted out in three years so I am on my second set of boards as of last summer. Not sure if it was just cheap wood from the manufacturer or because I have to keep my trailer outside as to why it rotted so fast. Years ago I also had a car trailer with a wood deck and a dove tail. The frame of it cracked at the dove tail joint the first time I tried to load my Chevelle onto the trailer. The trailer was rated at 7500lbs so it should have held a 3800 Chevelle without issue. I think it was a poor welding job but I was not too enamored with the wood deck surrounded by a metal frame either. I bought that car trailer new because it was a good price but I guess when you don't care about your welding, you can sell it cheap!

I prefer the steel deck I owned but mine was diamond plate. I owned that trailer years before I started with this tractor hobby/disease so I can't comment on slipperiness when loading a tractor. I never had a car or any other load slip when I didn't want it too. I have also never loaded anything on a cross slope either. That's too much risk for me.

I prefer a steel deck because of the longevity of the deck (I don't live in area that gets a lot of road salt) and the robustness of it but I am usually hauling car with my trailers. The steel deck trailers are a bit heavier so that should be taken into consideration when determining if your tow vehicle can tow it. I do like the feedback of the other people on their experiences of a steel deck trailer when loading a tractor. That does give me a little pause as I am in the initial stages of getting another open deck trailer myself because I want the ability to haul my 3E series tractor.

I think either style works just fine, so it's preference and depends on how you use the trailer and the conditions you use it in.
    Robnik and Herminator like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

19. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    As with many of the opinions, I would go with the wood deck. It will rot out at some point but sealing it will make it last a long time. I sealed my wood trailer deck within a couple weeks of buying it and it looks pretty good after 5 years of abuse. My father has a steel fifth wheel trailer we use on the farm and its tough at nails but gets really slick with any sort of moisture. Now we pretty much use it only for hauling fertilizer tanks that are strapped down.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast