• 3 Post By jdforever
  • 6 Post By JD4044M

Thread: looking at a 20' landscape trailer used

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks

looking at a 20' landscape trailer used

I found a trailer that is 20' and says it has a 2" ball. I remember reading somewhere on here (cant find it now) something about the size ball to tow being important and wanted to check with you guys with experience.

I could get by with a 18' I am sure but he wants 2k for the one I am looking at and always hear go bigger lol

thanks
    JD4044M likes this.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 AM
    Thanks
    Interesting my 16’ 7k trailer has a 2 3/16 I think, know is bigger than 2” that would be a red flag for me. Confirm gross capacity
    jdforever, Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    With a 2” ball I would assume it has 2 3500# axles. The next larger is 2 5/16.

I have a 16’ 7000# trailer that I’ve used and abused and had no issues with the tongue size. I will say 20’ is the appropriate size and you will have no issues with tractor usage
    BigJim55, Robnik, USAFRet and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 06:47 PM
    Thanks

Need more info

Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post
    I found a trailer that is 20' and says it has a 2" ball. I remember reading somewhere on here (cant find it now) something about the size ball to tow being important and wanted to check with you guys with experience.

I could get by with a 18' I am sure but he wants 2k for the one I am looking at and always hear go bigger lol

thanks
    Hi, yes the hitch wil tell you what size ball to use to tow it, and size does matter. Use the ball size indicated on the hitch. The ball size only tells you what size to use to safely pull the trailer. Not the cargo on it. It's pretty easy to overload a trailer. What is the Gross Vehicle Weight for the trailer. Meaning what is the maximum weight of the trailer and cargo? I have a 14 foot single axle trailer with a 2 inch ball hitch, but I'd never think of putting my tractor on it. Does the one you are looking at have a double axle? Does it have its own braking system? Does it have a ramp, or are you going to have to build one? Will the ramp support the weight of the tractor or other cargo? What kind of vehicle are you going to use to tow it? What kind of hitch does the vehicle have? How far are you planning on towing the trailer? Is it new or used? What kind of shape is it in? If it's used I'd check underneath for any surprises like a rusted out or cracked frame. Sorry for going off on a tangent, I'm thinking that you may have limited experiience with trailers and I'm trying to be as helpful as possible.
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 01-26-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Robnik, USAFRet and JD4044M like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks

Thank you for all the information as I am a novice

Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    Hi, yes the hitch wil tell you what size ball to use to tow it, and size does matter. Use the ball size indicated on the hitch. The ball size only tells you what size to use to safely pull the trailer. Not the cargo on it. It's pretty easy to overload a trailer. What is the Gross Vehicle Weight for the trailer. Meaning what is the maximum weigI am ht of the trailer and cargo? I have a 14 foot single axle trailer with a 2 inch ball hitch, but I'd never think of putting my tractor on it. Does the one you are looking at have a double axle? Does it have its own braking system? Does it have a ramp, or are you going to have to build one? Will the ramp support the weight of the tractor or other cargo? What kind of vehicle are you going to use to tow it? What kind of hitch does the vehicle have? How far are you planning on towing the trailer? Is it new or used? What kind of shape is it in? If it's used I'd check underneath for any surprises like a rusted out or cracked frame. Sorry for going off on a tangent, I'm thinking that you may have limited experiience with trailers and I'm trying to be as helpful as possible.

I don't have much experience as you can clearly see so all this information is greatly apricated. It measures 7 by 20 and has a ramp on the back. It has twin axles with its on breaks. I think that is why they told it me the gross is around 7500 and I have read to deduct the weight of the trailer and that leaves me with about 5500 for my 1025 with loader and tiller and maybe a few odds and ends. I have a ram 1500 quad cab with the full trailer hitch. the one that is like to bars across and bolted in. The boards are new and I couldn't find rust so I am hoping its not covered by paint.

again thank you and all the others for their help!

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    Hi, yes the hitch wil tell you what size ball to use to tow it, and size does matter. Use the ball size indicated on the hitch. The ball size only tells you what size to use to safely pull the trailer. Not the cargo on it. It's pretty easy to overload a trailer. What is the Gross Vehicle Weight for the trailer. Meaning what is the maximum weight of the trailer and cargo? I have a 14 foot single axle trailer with a 2 inch ball hitch, but I'd never think of putting my tractor on it. Does the one you are looking at have a double axle? Does it have its own braking system? Does it have a ramp, or are you going to have to build one? Will the ramp support the weight of the tractor or other cargo? What kind of vehicle are you going to use to tow it? What kind of hitch does the vehicle have? How far are you planning on towing the trailer? Is it new or used? What kind of shape is it in? If it's used I'd check underneath for any surprises like a rusted out or cracked frame. Sorry for going off on a tangent, I'm thinking that you may have limited experiience with trailers and I'm trying to be as helpful as possible.
    GVWR is the most important part of any trailering set up. I too have a single axle 14’ trailer but mine has a 5200 lb axle with the trailer being about 1100 or 1200 lbs. which leaves about 4000 lbs for payload. That is plenty for my 1025r with all attachments.

If the cost is not an issue I would probably own more than one trailer. A 20’ tandem aluminum and single axle 12’ aluminum. The 20’ will haul cars, trucks or almost anything other than real construction equipment which would need much higher GVWR. The 12’ is perfect for a sxs or golf cart where the 20’ becomes overkill.

If you are not experienced with trailers you might find a tandem easier to back up. Tandems do not react as quickly as single axle trailers and some people find it easier to back them up. Single axle trailers with under a 3000 lbGVWR are not required to have brakes but depending on your tractor and attachments may not have enough capacity. In my state trailers under 3000 GVWR are not required to be registered and have license plates.

If you live in an area where you would use the trailer in the winter steel trailers are prone to rusting quickly because of the road salt. I prefer aluminum, more expensive but they are lighter and handle winter road conditions better and look good far longer.
    BigJim55, Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    2018 John Deere 1025r, Mauser cab, rear wiper, rear light, FEL, Piranah tooth bar, Heavy Hitch weight bar, 8 suitcase weights, 55 amp alternator, Kens hooks and seat springs, 54” MMM, 66” Loader mounted CTA plow, Artillian 3d function diverter kit. New Green equipment =less green in investments

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    If you want you can PM me and I can give you some info over the phone. I've pulled a trailer for my business for the last 30 years and I've had the last 6 trailers custom built, the most recent one this past Fall. Its an 18' all aluminum enclosed trailer. But I can help you by answering any questions you have.
    fdmars, BigJim55, USAFRet and 1 others like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post

I don't have much experience as you can clearly see so all this information is greatly apricated. It measures 7 by 20 and has a ramp on the back. It has twin axles with its on breaks. I think that is why they told it me the gross is around 7500 and I have read to deduct the weight of the trailer and that leaves me with about 5500 for my 1025 with loader and tiller and maybe a few odds and ends. I have a ram 1500 quad cab with the full trailer hitch. the one that is like to bars across and bolted in. The boards are new and I couldn't find rust so I am hoping its not covered by paint.

again thank you and all the others for their help!
    Not a trailer expert here, but my thought is that if it only requires a 2" ball, it is not a very heavy duty trailer. Not sure, but I thought that most 2" balls are rated for 5,000 to 6,000 lbs. Aren't most tandem trailers of this size equipped with 2 - 3500 lb axles. The trailer rating may be more than what the ball rating is. Can anyone elaborate on this?
    BigJim55, Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    Not a trailer expert here, but my thought is that if it only requires a 2" ball, it is not a very heavy duty trailer. Not sure, but I thought that most 2" balls are rated for 5,000 to 6,000 lbs. Aren't most tandem trailers of this size equipped with 2 - 3500 lb axles. The trailer rating may be more than what the ball rating is. Can anyone elaborate on this?
    I found this on 2" Trailer Balls they range from 3500-12,000 lbs and it seems the stud size decides that.https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-acces...r-balls/2-inch

CURT 2-5/16" trailer balls are built for heavy-duty towing applications and are typically used on full-size trucks and SUVs. We offer three finish options, including stainless steel, chrome and raw steel. 2-5/16" trailer balls range in capacity from 6,000 up to 30,000 lbs.

CURT 2" trailer balls are versatile and reliable. They are available in stainless steel or a chrome finish, and range in weight capacity from 3,500 lbs. up to 12,000 lbs. 2" trailer balls are used on everything from vans and SUVs to full-size trucks.

CURT 1-7/8" trailer balls are ideal for light-duty towing applications and smaller vehicles, such as passenger cars, minivans and crossovers. We offer these hitch balls in a stainless steel or chrome finish, and many are rated up to 3,500 lbs
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-30-2019 at 03:56 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

jdforever (01-30-2019), Robnik (01-30-2019)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements